Vegan WFPB favorite recipes and foods

Options
VegjoyP
VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
edited August 2022 in Recipes
I am WFPB and vegan and would love to hear what other like- even if you are not vegan but discovered something that is you enjoy

I love tofu, cinnamon, cocoa or carob powder, vanilla stevia, maple, chocolate or vanilla plant protein. I eat it right out of container so it's like a dessert!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Xierrax wrote: »
    I am putting more effort into my WFPB diet recently! Not a vegan but I mainly cook with plants, so I think that counts?

I recently discovered how to make porridge healthier and better. While I usually stir everything in at once, this time I let my oats soften in water first and then added soy milk which seemed to make them a whole lot softer while keeping their texture... I also added chopped pumpkin, hemp, and chia seeds, half a banana and a tablespoon of almond butter. Yum!

I also enjoyed making chickpea pitas with beetroot tzatziki. Not 100% sure if the pita counts as whole food but I've seen people include corn tortillas and such in WFPB recipes so I'm gonna leave it here for now. I make the tzatziki myself by mixing PB yogurt with finely chopped boiled beets, mint, dill, cucumber, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Roast the chickpeas for 10-15 min with seasoning of choice (I use jerk or paprika) and enjoy together with some lettuce or tomato. This is one of my favourite lunches.

Since OP includes protein powder on their WFPB list, I don't see how they could object to pita.
  • VegjoyP
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Xierrax wrote: »
    I am putting more effort into my WFPB diet recently! Not a vegan but I mainly cook with plants, so I think that counts?

I recently discovered how to make porridge healthier and better. While I usually stir everything in at once, this time I let my oats soften in water first and then added soy milk which seemed to make them a whole lot softer while keeping their texture... I also added chopped pumpkin, hemp, and chia seeds, half a banana and a tablespoon of almond butter. Yum!

I also enjoyed making chickpea pitas with beetroot tzatziki. Not 100% sure if the pita counts as whole food but I've seen people include corn tortillas and such in WFPB recipes so I'm gonna leave it here for now. I make the tzatziki myself by mixing PB yogurt with finely chopped boiled beets, mint, dill, cucumber, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Roast the chickpeas for 10-15 min with seasoning of choice (I use jerk or paprika) and enjoy together with some lettuce or tomato. This is one of my favourite lunches.

Since OP includes protein powder on their WFPB list, I don't see how they could object to pita.

Not at all, pita is great, IMO. Yes, I consider my meals WFPB but I'm not super strict restrictive because I do include things like plant protein with as little added as possible, some minimal wholegrain breads and wholegrain cereal and other things that some considered not " wfpb". My thoughts are things like pop tarts, potato chips, most typical commercially packaged goods and fast foods. Some things I think may have benefits. Raw, whole and fresh is best but it's not as pleasurable from my experience to be hyper rigid. 🙂
    A few examples are- Dr. Prager supergreens burger, Hillary's Hemp jut burger. While yes I could make from scratch but its not always easy to have time or space. However these are on occasion not regularly.

I guess the origional title should just be plant based 🙂
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Homemade hummus-using love and lemons recipe, roasted chickpeas to snack on are a big go to at the moment.
    I also love roasted cauliflower. Did it in bowls last night. Roasted it with taco seasoning served over rice mixed with black beans. Salsa on top.
    Been baking or airfrying tofu after marinating it in recipes from Thug Kitchen cookbook.
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    There is an organic market near me that makes an amazing teryaki tempeh and blackened tofu
    I make a fairly simple tempeh- marinate in tamari and balsamic red wine vinegar. Then I use a herb blend, paprika and bake in oven with a bit of avocado oil. Then serve with plan based queso or cilantro plant based dip.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    @VegjoyP, your food photos upthread a bit look lovely and yummy! Would you be able to name or describe the dishes, so we could maybe riff on those ideas ourselves?

I don't tend to repeat the same meals routinely, or use recipes (I "just cook" 🤣). But there are a couple of patterns I do use quite often. (You - VegjoyP - may've seen me mention them elsewhere, since we've both been on MFP for a while.) I don't know whether they fit others' definition of "whole foods", but I think certainly count as at least close, especially if protein powder counts as WFPB.

One is a fold-over sandwich on a taco-size Ezekiel tortilla. It has mustard (dill mustard is my favorite), smoked tofu (sliced), thin-sliced onions, suitable cheese (I'm vegetarian, use dairy cheese, but vegan cheese would also be good for true PB eaters). I heat this in the microwave (just 30 seconds works for me), then add raw sauerkraut.

Another is black bean or soy/edamame spaghetti or fettuccine (I prefer the thin types) with a peanut-chile sauce, plus steamed or stir-fried veggies of choice. The sauce is peanut flour or peanut butter powder (or almond), rice vinegar, chile paste (be sure to get one without fish sauce). If you don't like heat, it can be made with soy sauce/tamari instead of chile paste. To that, I might add some toasted sesame oil (if I have extra calories), or any one or more of chopped scallions, minced raw garlic, grated fresh ginger**, Szechuan pepper (if you like extra heat), etc. I use one serving of peanut butter powder per person, chile paste and/or sesame oil to taste, then add enough vinegar and/or soy sauce to make a thin-ish paste that will mix into the pasta/veggies and stick. Precision isn't essential.

** I like to keep peeled fresh ginger root in a jar in my fridge submerged in sherry wine. It keeps for a long time that way. For those who avoid alcohol, the amount actually in the ginger is not going to be notably more than in something like vanilla extract, and it will cook off if heated.

A third is - in Winter, mostly - a Winter squash or pumpkin soup with sage, into which I puree some caramelized onions, soft tofu, white beans, and salt and garlic to taste. It's also good substituting smoked paprika or a suitable amount of chili powder or cayenne, maybe adding some toasted pepitas or shelled sunflower seeds on top.

Note that by "caramelized onions", I just mean onions that are slow-cooked on the stovetop (cast iron pan is good) until they're dark brown (not burned) and rich-tasting. There is no added sugar, just onions and enough oil so they don't stick. They're a good way to increase the umami flavor in plant-based dishes, IMO.

I roast and smash a bunch of Winter squash in the Fall, put it in my freezer in 2-cup glass bowls with snap on lids to use over the Winter. (I like a Winter squash variety that isn't a great long-keeper, that I can only get in Fall.) That's what I use in the soups.

Winter squash is also good in pasta dishes with red lentil or similar higher-protein plant-based pasta, if that's WF enough for this thread. In lasagna, it can be a layer between the lasagna noodles, with seasonings of choice, and maybe some soft tofu (and/or white beans) pureed in to add protein; or it can be put in stuffed shells. I'd use the usual caramelized onions, garlic, sage or whatever to season.
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    AnnPT77 - your recipes sound awesome! I just diversified my diet and added foods I stopped eating or never had.
    The food above is a variety. The top is a version of my tofu staple. I have tofu about every night with several different combonations. I switch cocoa powder or carob powder. Plant protein, cinnamon, monkfruit, seeds, nuts. Above is pictured " crab cakes" made with mushrooms, then broccoli mash.the bottom is a salad with radish, olives, etc.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Some things I am loving:
    • Stonefire Ancient Grain Mini Naan (all the Stonefire products are delish)
    • Trader Joe's Guacamole (Avocado's Number)
    • Dr. Praeger's Broccoli Cakes (with hummus, harissa, greek yogurt, or guacamole on the side)
    • Roasted red pepper hummus
    • Stir fry of baby bok choy, zucchini, fresh garlic, and red (bell) pepper. I use a little olive oil, crushed red pepper, soy sauce or teriyaki sauce, and sometimes a little sesame oil for flavoring. I like it with udon noodles or rice.
    • A simple salad of avocado, tomatoes, and sometimes artichoke hearts or hearts of palm. Olive oil, lemon juice or balsamic vinegar, salt, coarse black pepper.
    Sorry, I'm not much of a cook. I like things I can just throw together. I eat a lot of avocado toast, preferably on multigrain bread with good tomatoes and everything but the bagel seasoning.
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    Some things I am loving:
    • Stonefire Ancient Grain Mini Naan (all the Stonefire products are delish)
    • Trader Joe's Guacamole (Avocado's Number)
    • Dr. Praeger's Broccoli Cakes (with hummus, harissa, greek yogurt, or guacamole on the side)
    • Roasted red pepper hummus
    • Stir fry of baby bok choy, zucchini, fresh garlic, and red (bell) pepper. I use a little olive oil, crushed red pepper, soy sauce or teriyaki sauce, and sometimes a little sesame oil for flavoring. I like it with udon noodles or rice.
    • A simple salad of avocado, tomatoes, and sometimes artichoke hearts or hearts of palm. Olive oil, lemon juice or balsamic vinegar, salt, coarse black pepper.
    Sorry, I'm not much of a cook. I like things I can just throw together. I eat a lot of avocado toast, preferably on multigrain bread with good tomatoes and everything but the bagel seasoning.

Omgosh yes! I'm the same, no real " recipes' but thrown g ingredients together. I'm totally loving the hearts of Palm idea. I get the Dr
    Pragers supergreens hunger, looove! Naan is so good. I just started eating bread again. Only stone ground wholemeal, sprouted or sourdough. Rye and pumpernickel are next
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Omgosh yes! I'm the same, no real " recipes' but thrown g ingredients together. I'm totally loving the hearts of Palm idea. I get the Dr
    Pragers supergreens hunger, looove! Naan is so good. I just started eating bread again. Only stone ground wholemeal, sprouted or sourdough. Rye and pumpernickel are next

I will have to check out the Dr. Praeger's supergreens. When I first tried the broccoli cakes in May 2022, I thought they were just "meh." For the last couple of months, I've been addicted to them though. Are there any other Dr. Praeger's products that you like?

The hearts of palm is delicious. You can eat so much of it for a very small amount of calories too.
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    I went to the farmers market here in Sarasota followed by Wholefoods. One picture is the whole meal I made. The salad is microgreens, spinach, radish, saurkraut. Green olives, vegan cashew havarti, seasonings.
    Then air fried Miataki mushroom, olive oil spray, nutritional yeast, sea salt. Then a small sample of several vegan choices at wholefoods salad bar. Falafel, vegan ultra green spanakopita,
    saag daal, lentil quinoa hummus, portabella burger 🥗🥙💜😋 ih1lutgw4fe3.jpg
    ikrqmef4zdis.jpg
    13milbstyzqw.jpg
    wcs1ckn8wnlv.jpg
    elewj7tvjqda.jpg
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I try to eat WFPB as much as possible. I buy whatever is in season and local when possible. My dishes vary daily.

Today I made tacos with housemade corn tortillas, a lentil/walnut meat sauteed with seasonings, onions and peppers, topped with a quick guacamole, sour cream made with yogurt, lime and cilantro and I added tomatoes and fresh corn on top. I also made some plantains - yummy.

The other day I made a white bean stew with fresh tomatoes, carrots, yellow squash, bok choy, sweet potatoes, spinach, probably some other veggies that I forgot about. I used a chik'n broth as well. It was really good.

I don't plan most of my meals ahead of time. I just buy a lot of produce and put something together. I like to be creative in the kitchen and make meals based on whatever looks good or whatever I'm craving that day.
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I really like bowls (Buddha, nourish, grain, etc) I get a lot of inspiration and fun from these Vegan recipe gurus
    1.) Pick up limes
    2.) Rachel Ama
    3.) Avant Vegan
    4.) Abby Sharp (not vegan, but entertaining and plenty of good WFPB ideas)
    5.) Rainbow Plant Life

Seriously, soooooo many great recipes and ideas!
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    I really like bowls (Buddha, nourish, grain, etc) I get a lot of inspiration and fun from these Vegan recipe gurus
    1.) Pick up limes
    2.) Rachel Ama
    3.) Avant Vegan
    4.) Abby Sharp (not vegan, but entertaining and plenty of good WFPB ideas)
    5.) Rainbow Plant Life

Seriously, soooooo many great recipes and ideas!

I'm going to check these out, thank you!
  • tcline27
    tcline27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was a vegetarian for years. It was the best j ever felt in my life. I got away from it a couple years ago. I want to go completely vegan, I just don’t know how to start. I can keep my meals relatively the same and snacks too. I’m not sure how to post a thread here, I could only see how to comment. Does any have any advice on getting started?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    tcline27 wrote: »
    Hi! I was a vegetarian for years. It was the best j ever felt in my life. I got away from it a couple years ago. I want to go completely vegan, I just don’t know how to start. I can keep my meals relatively the same and snacks too. I’m not sure how to post a thread here, I could only see how to comment. Does any have any advice on getting started?

The whole Vegan Health site (staffed by multi-degreed expert registered dietitians) is a great resource, IMO, on the nutrition front:

https://veganhealth.org

It has a specific "Tips for New Vegans" page that may be a help:

https://veganhealth.org/tips-for-new-vegans/

Since you have history as a vegetarian, you probably already know some of that nutritional stuff, but the sight helped me, as a long-term vegetarian, on some specific issues.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hello. I've been vegetarian for close to 30 years. I have been WFPBNO for the past year and a half.
    The meals posted here look delicious.

One of my current favorites is avocado toast.

I just made this recipe last night for dinner. It was a big hit with my family.
    https://veganhuggs.com/cabbage-soup/

I made this earlier in the week. It also was a crowd pleaser.
    https://wonkywonderful.com/butternut-squash-salad/
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Minimalist Baker has tons of vegan recipes!!! https://minimalistbaker.com/cheesy-roasted-broccoli-chickpea-kale-salad/ This is one of my favorites! So easy and delicious!!
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Hey @VegjoyP !

A frequent fav of mine - I switch the recipe around here and there:

Cacao chia mousse (I use coconut milk and top with raw cacao nibs)

nxmnvq1amibe.jpeg