A mile a day?

Options
I am on a 1200 cal diet.
I am wondering how effective it would be to run one mile every day? Some days I run one mile in the morning then walk my dogs for 1/2 mile. Then I run one mile in the evening.
I am calculated to be loosing right around 100cal's per run. Is this going to be effective, or do I need something else?

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight by doing a mile a day along with weight lifting (doing this 4 times a week i lost 2 lbs a week). You have to start somewhere and just walking and jogging is a great way to get into some shape so you can move on to more difficult things.
  • dtraylor
    dtraylor Posts: 32
    Options
    It's a great start for sure. However, when I run, I really don't get warmed up good until I've run a mile. If I was to follow your plan, I would not be running at my best. If you are just starting out, just about any activity will help, but as you get more into it you will want to get the most benefit for your time. Running two miles, and running your second mile harder than the first, will burn more calories and tone your muscles more than running two miles separately and not getting adequately warmed up. There is a lot of information about getting your heart into the right training zone, basically it means getting your heart rate up to the point where it is beating fast, but not too fast.

Good luck on your quest, and have fun. :o)
  • militarywitch
    Options
    I walk a mile a day--with my cerebral palsy--it takes me 30 min--I lost 20lbs doing this, and that includes giving myself food freedom on Saturday--I eat whatever I want--drink nothing but water...and it is slow but it comes off..
  • militarywitch
    Options
    My ticker shows 12lbs because I started my fitness pal after my weight loss started....
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I do not usually run - but I am doing a running Wii Fit Plus that many say is 1 mi and others say it is 1.2 miles (Island lap). I recently purchased an HRM and this part of my program generally burns 76-90 cals - I do it in 10 mins. It is worth it to buy a Heart Rate Monitor as many of the MFP exercises calories burned are off (for me) - of course cals burned and heart rate has to do with other facts.