High cholesterol

Options
lyndagrey1
lyndagrey1 Posts: 2 Member
I now have to reduce my cholesterol level as it’s too high. Can anyone recommend some easy recipes?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,434 Member
    Options
    Can you provide more information? For example, does high cholesterol run in your family (even among people who are not overweight/obese)? Are you already active, or not? What's your current eating pattern like?

For me - without major genetic risk for high cholesterol - weight loss to a healthy range was the single most effective thing to take my cholesterol to solidly in the normal range and keep it there (for going on 7 years now).

For some people who aren't very active, regular moderate to vigorous exercise can improve cholesterol levels, though that can take some time to take effect (like 3-6 months). That wasn't relevant for me, because I had high cholesterol despite already being quite active. (!)

However, things can be different for folks who have familial hypercholesterolemia (genetic disposition to high cholesterol). Folks in that category may need to be more structured with eating patterns to see results, and may still need medications.

It would help to know a little more about you, before we suggest recipe sources.

Generically, the American Heart Association has some helpful information:

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/cholesterol/prevention-and-treatment-of-high-cholesterol-hyperlipidemia/cooking-to-lower-cholesterol
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My general tips would be to decrease “unhealthy” fats, increase fiber and eliminate or seriously moderate alcohol.
    One easy way to supplement fiber is with psyllium husk (products like Metamucil have this). I believe the idea is that psyllium fiber is a soluble fiber that soaks up various waste products, including cholesterol, in your system, and helps your body shed them as waste. It also keeps you fuller between meals, and helps stabilize your blood sugar. It is touted as a natural way to lower LDL. I use it together with other healthy lifestyle choices, so I don’t know what effect it would have on its own. Here are a bunch of articles on cholesterol and diet. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-lower-cholesterol#keep-a-healthy-weight
  • gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just got the same news from my doctor today, that my bad cholesterol was higher than they want to see it. She advised me to try the Mediterranean diet for a couple months and then they will retest. Hopefully that will bring it down. Lots of info on that eating style out there, easy to Google. Basically focus is on vegetables and fruits, with a serving or more of whole grains at every meal. Eliminating butter and focusing on healthy fats, mainly extra virgin olive oil and from eating unsalted nuts and seeds. Very little red meat, and with fish and lean poultry at least a couple times each a week.
  • trishaomahony
    trishaomahony Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also got this news a few days ago, so I now need to find a food plan that will work for all my family. We love red meat but I will get over it. Will review the MED diet that gilliebee63 suggested. I also need to lose 2.5stone
  • joyputnam04
    joyputnam04 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight but still have high cholesterol. I am cutting out red meat. I always thought pork wasn't a red meat but apparently it is. I was eating a lot of pork, beef, and lamb. Now I stick to fish and poultry. Thank you for asking this here, the responses are helping me.
  • CrackedCrab
    CrackedCrab Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is a battle for me too. A statin has helped me, as has exercise and losing weight, but I've also replaced all butter with olive or avocado oil, use egg whites instead of eggs, and mostly chicken, turkey and fish instead of beef and pork. If I'm absolutely craving a beef burger, I use ground bison, which is lower in fat and cholesterol.
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Cutting way down on animal products and losing weight is what worked for me. I mostly avoid oil as a fat source too as I prefer to have bulk with my calories like Avocado or Peanut butter
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16256003/

Variations in the size and density distributions of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) particles have been related to risk for cardiovascular disease. In particular, increased levels of small, dense LDL particles, together with reduced levels of large HDL and increases in small HDL, are integral features of the atherogenic dyslipidemia found in patients with insulin resistance, obesity, and metabolic syndrome. Increased dietary carbohydrates, particularly simple sugars and starches with high glycemic index, can increase levels of small, dense LDL and HDL, primarily by mechanisms that involve increasing plasma triglyceride concentrations. Low-carbohydrate diets may have the opposite effects. Diets with differing fatty acid composition can also influence LDL and HDL particle distributions.