Don’t lose weight when I exercise

Options
I do 30mins of inclined fast walking plus a few weight exercises 3x a week. Plus Pilates other days. When I exercise I barely lose weight, even I calorie deficit, I maintain. Is this normal? When I don’t exercise and diet I do lose weight!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    That's not how it works. Something about your math is off, you have some water retention or you're not consistent with your exercise. How long have you been doing the exercise? How long have you been eating less/trying to lose? Do you have a lot of weight to lose?

Either you are not eating in a deficit, or you're eating too little in general, or you're eating just right and adding too many calories when you exercise.

Could be a lot of things. Sleep, hormones, stress, travel, inconsistent logging - but no. It's not harder to lose weight when you exercise in general.

We need a lot more info.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Timeframes are important. I've you're only trying exercise for a short period, water retention for muscle repair can easily mask fat loss on the scale. However, if you've followed the same strategy for over a month, that's a totally different situation and calorie intake is the most likely culprit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Context, timescale and a public diary would help unravel your problem.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    A potential scenario is you are over-estimating the NET calories burned during that exercise, which from your description doesn't sound substantial, then if you're eating back that over-estimate you end up going over your goal.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Sounds like overcounting exercise calories. Cut them in half, and see if that works.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    So many things can hide weight loss as it's happening. New exercise/sore muscles is one of those things. Other things on the list include menstruation, ovulation, sunburn, injury, travel, excessive carbs, andexcessive sodium. Any of these things apply to you?