HELP...struggling with C25K!

Options
13»

Replies

• Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I started and completed C25K this time last year. It was rough when I started. You have to push yourself. When I got to the end of a week, and I did not feel comfortable then I repeated the week again. I think I did that 2 or 3 times. C25K worked great for me. I am now able to run ½ marathon without stopping. Get plenty of rest, and do not give up. Keep Punching! All Is Possible! It Is A Choice! No Excuses! Never Quit!! You Got This!!
  • rlong637
    rlong637 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i just started this week i am on moving on to wk 2 tommorow, and i was told in advance to try " chi running" to keep from getting hurt. I highly recomend googling it and watching it on youtube! it changes the pace and form of the run to use gravity to propel you, to keep your spine straight and to shorten your stride and land mid foot not on heal. I have bad joints and bad back and i have had not injuries using this technique! Good luck and keep on keeping on!
  • hdtracy
    hdtracy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The slowing down advice is gold. I tried C25K Day 1 months ago and failed miserably, and really thought I was going super slow. Apparently not slow enough.

Was skulking around here yesterday and saw people saying that when they did their 'run' portions, it was more of a shuffle. Or they were pretty sure a walker could have gone faster. Or that they could hold a conversation during the run portions and I realized: NOPE, I wasn't going to slow enough.

Last night I tried again and actually made it through the whole workout, and didn't feel too awful after either. I challenged myself to go as slow as I physically could (on a treadmill, it's tough to find the sweet spot where your walk can become a jog). I can do a fast walk at 3.3, but I can also do a very slow shuffle/jog at 3.3 so that's what I did.

And it worked. And it was so exciting to know that I finished! I'm ridiculously slow, but you know what, I still did it. And I'm still going to do another run tomorrow. And I'm just really taking in what everyone here is saying: speed doesn't matter for crap right now. It's just training your muscles to get used to the motion. That's all that matters.