Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Advertising tactics are causing a negative impact on your app

Options
paperworlds
paperworlds Posts: 1 Member
Full page ads being displayed when tracking food has caused genuinely awful user experience. I have zero issue with MFP making money from ads, it’s fully understandable, but when it makes tracking your food a hassle, something that’s already difficult for many people, it’s off-putting and uninviting.
The app has also been very slow and buggy since this recent update.
I truly think the previous ad experience was well balanced and should be rediscussed with your advertising team.
19 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• maureen0809
    maureen0809 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That static half page ad header plus upward curved dashboard at bottom leaves only a fourth of my screen for entry viewing in middle. Not sure if premium members have same issue. I realize it is free but not very inviting to use anymore and I am a long time user as well. I actually checked out three different apps yesterday and will continue to do so. I'm also looking at making a weekly spreadsheet tracker. The main thing I need to track is my potassium as I am 82 and on a prescription supplement. I need to keep my daily intake around 3500meq. It has also been convenient that this syncs with my Fitbit tracker. Did the developers actually use this on their phones before implementing it?
  • dazza99
    dazza99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The user experience is very poor with the full page ads. The user experience design team should be replaced because they are obviously incompetent. Will be moving on to another app.
  • joemonteNJ
    joemonteNJ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The final annoyance was today when the app auto played a video advertisement with full audio, it was startling and annoying…. I have loved this app for almost 5 years…. Good bye old friend, thanks for helping me lose 40 pounds and keeping it off. I’ll miss you but I think I already found a new app to love.
  • Skaffa77
    Skaffa77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    100% agreement. The sound one is even worse. Realize it’s “free”, but it is extremely disrupting the usability of the app. I go to enter foods to get interrupted by an ad…and wait to get back to log my foods. When the ad disrupts the core functionality of the tool…the tool ceases to do its job and will be discarded.

I left Fitday because of MFP app and it’s connectivity to Fitbit. The interface of MFP is nicer that Fitbit’s food log, but at this point…I’m questioning if it’s worth it to continue using MFP.

Congrats UA…you bought it for $475M and the aggressive ad tactics will leave you with a worthless product.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Skaffa77 wrote: »

Congrats UA…you bought it for $475M and the aggressive ad tactics will leave you with a worthless product.

@Skaffa77 UA sold the app in 2020
  • Skaffa77
    Skaffa77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Skaffa77 wrote: »

@Skaffa77 UA sold the app in 2020

Ah. Thanks! Didn’t see that ownership change.

I was initially concerned when UA bought it tbh, but if they sold it in 2020, it might explain some of the more recent changes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    While it could be super convenient to use my phone to log food, the new ads are indeed annoying, so I am back to logging on my computer, where I do not get ads.
  • GeorgiePie88
    GeorgiePie88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The full page ads are unbearable and them taking away the scanning option for free users is the last nail in the coffin for me. I would consider premium but it’s way too expensive. I plan to switch to another app in October once this service is no longer available to free users.
  • RRRick
    RRRick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would consider paying a "Remove Ads" upgrade fee (depending on the cost) - but the full premium membership is too pricey for me. I don't mind supporting a good (Android) app but I don't want - or need - the premium features.