Why am I not losing?

Options
2»

Replies

• harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You may want to revisit your food log and see if there are any holes to plug up--otherwise it is normal to plateau every now and then. My trainer has me lose 20 lbs and then maintain it for 2 weeks and then start again. I also do Adkins for 10 days every 3 months just to shock the system. But don't worry about it and certainly don't use your scale so much!!. This is a LIFESTYLE change for you NOT a diet!! Your body will let you know when it is ready to go further.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Because 140 at my height, 5'6, for example would be a nice, healthy weight. Maybe you don't need to lose a lot more.

I had a quick look on your profile and could see some of your friends on there, and quite a few seemed pro ana, from their pics and their usernames. I found that a bit worrying.

As others have said, try upping calories a bit and maybe changing what you do. I think our bodies get used to routine.
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Are you loosing inches? I have found I loose inches when I don't loose lbs. Also, review your daily water intake..water is a biggie for my success.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    READ THIS: (lots of other great informative articles on that site too)

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Increase your exercise and/or decrease your caloric intake. As your body weight lowers, so does your BMR and TDEE. You're not losing because you're no longer in a caloric deficit.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Increase your exercise and/or decrease your caloric intake. As your body weight lowers, so does your BMR and TDEE. You're not losing because you're no longer in a caloric deficit.

:sad: did you even look at her food diary?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

:sad: did you even look at her food diary?

Very sad.

Take a look at this info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

I use this calculator to find out my TDEE: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ (Be super honest with your activity level.)

You'll be surprised at how much you should be eating. I lose at 2000+ a day. Unless you have a doctor prescribed medical reason, you are woefullly undereating, and that's a huge reason for stalling. Trust me, I struggled with a six month long plauteau at 1600 and I've lost seven pounds in the past six weeks at 2000. Best of luck!
  • RosannaElizabethL
    RosannaElizabethL Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This might be difficult to swallow, but you may need to decrease your calorie intake. Recalculate your BMR to match your current weight. I don't know your height, but if you are 5'5" it calculates as being only 1400 a day.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    This might be difficult to swallow, but you may need to decrease your calorie intake. Recalculate your BMR to match your current weight. I don't know your height, but if you are 5'5" it calculates as being only 1400 a day.

Most days she's not even eating 1000, decreasing calorie intake would be a horrific idea. My BMR is around 1350 and I eat around 2000 calories a day and lose. You shouldn't be aiming to eat less than your BMR.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much :)

Usually my weekdays are the same, i don't really vary. On the weekends, the family i live with loves to eat out which is detrimental to me, obviously. That's why it seems all over the map. I will definitely try to cut back on that (not sure how, but i will lol). I dont have a great deal of time for change up since I dont even have time to myself during the semester (thats what i get for picking the course load i did while working and trying to keep my family together). But i will definitely see what else my campus has to offer :)

When you eat out, order kid's meals if fast food, or at a restaurant get a box and put half your food in it immediately, then eat the other half.

Be sure to get enough sleep.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Like some have already said, you may want to recalculate your BMR. If you have been losing consistently and then it stopped you are obviously no longer in a deficit. As far as logging goes if you have lost that much weight already it's probably safe to assume that you have a pretty good grasp on how much you are eating but in my experience logging exercise is another thing all together. There are so many variables to how much you burn that it is very hard to know without a very good HRM how much you are burning. Even with a good HRM it is still not 100%. The biggest thing is don't over complicate it. If you are not losing weight you are not in a deficit. Period. End of story.
  • jeffpettis
    Options

Most days she's not even eating 1000, decreasing calorie intake would be a horrific idea. My BMR is around 1350 and I eat around 2000 calories a day and lose. You shouldn't be aiming to eat less than your BMR.

If she was truly eating only 1000 calories a day she would still be losing weight. There are some errors in the math somewhere. Either she is eating more than she thinks, which is probably not it since she has been able to lose so much already, or the likely scenario is she is not burning as much as she thinks and when you eat back calories you didn't really burn in the first place you won't be in a deficit anymore.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great but it won't outweigh bad eating and a lot of things that you do become really routine for your body and it becomes really efficient at doing them.

I LOVE your avatar... That is all :glasses:
  • atb0821
    Options

Just gonna bump this one for the idea that this is a math error.
  • jeffpettis
    Options

Just gonna bump this one for the idea that this is a math error.

Surely you're not comparing the OP with the lady in the other thread? The OP has been consistently losing weight and stopped The lady in the other thread was not able to lose weight from the start.

And also in the other thread how is this woman only eating 700 calories a day but yet all she eats is fast food "nothing prepared at home". The last time I checked you can't even eat one fast food meal without eating at least 800 calories.
  • atb0821
    Options
    Bottom line is that I don't agree with people telling this person to eat less when she is eating so little already. The idea is not to have the biggest deficit possible.
  • Skinand
    Skinand Posts: 16
    Options
    There are plenty of places to eat fast food and eat less than 800. its simply a matter of looking ahead (as everyone here has said). That is honestly how much i eat. My norm is about a half a cup of cereal with skim milk for breakfast, half a sandwich with applesauce or pineapple for lunch, and something for dinner. I do a great deal of time in putting in my meals. It has become a compulsion (but not in a bad way, i think). I didn't mean for this to become such a huge deal.

As for those who were asking my height, I am 5'4 and weight 140 currently. I'm not sure i am losing inches but I will definitely start measuring instead of simply going to the scale for my info. The advice on eating out was excellent and i think everyone who provided it. I truly appreciate it. I already only eat half my meal at most restaurants since the portion sizes are way bigger than what i can eat lol

As for the ones who were saying I'm not being honest, I just want to say that I am. I think there can be some issues with the exercise numbers for the excellent reasons that have already been given.