Fodmap

Options
Just wondering if anyone follows a fodmap eating plan!!! It was suggested to me by a doctor to try it!!!

Replies

• john2125
    john2125 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that was having some health problems last year and her doctor recommended that as diet as well. We tried making several recipes from different websites and even found some things at our local Schnucks made for that diet. There is a brand called ‘Fody’ that makes Ketchup, Salsa, Spaghetti sauce and more specifically for that diet. She mentioned feeling better after being on it for awhile but it takes some getting used to like so many other diets. Stay strong and God Bless :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    You should get a dietitian involved imo. It works if these particular sugars are causing symptoms of IBS and CIBO for sure. The diet is only to explore which products actually effect these conditions after they're added back individually and only if by removing those sugars actually improved your symptoms. You'll also need to understand any shortcoming by the removal of these sugars nutritionally speaking and why a dietitian is kind of important.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Why did your doctor suggest you try it? Are you having digestive problems?

As neanderthin stated, it's an elimination diet generally used to alleviate symptoms of IBS and other digestive issues.

My husband had to do it...it's really difficult, especially at first when you have to eliminate everything on the list. You then slowly add things back in to see what it is that is triggering your problems. For most people, it's not everything on the list.

In my husband's case, there's things that he learned he had to completely cut out, like apples, bananas, asparagus, brussels sprouts, onions, and garlic. Other things he can have in small amounts, but really needs to limit, like gluten and dairy.

The onions and garlic are the hardest things for us. We cook at home most of the time, and have had to find good substitutes to add flavor to dishes. Eating at restaurants and other people's houses is difficult, because onions and garlic are in nearly every dish.

Take a look at the foods on the low-FODMAP list, and figure out how to make meals around those ingredients. It may be pretty simple foods for a while until you are able to start adding stuff back in.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    My mother has been on one a couple times for her IBS. She definitely noticed a good improvement in her IBS, but also found it fairly limiting (when combined with her food allergies) that it was hard for 100% adherence all the time (especially for someone who food is how she expresses love and was raised with the idea that food=love).
  • wtbarunner
    wtbarunner Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am having trouble after eating so that’s why the doctor suggested trying this diet!!!!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    wtbarunner wrote: »
    Yes. I am having trouble after eating so that’s why the doctor suggested trying this diet!!!!

It takes some patience, but is worth it if you can find the source of your digestive issues.

My husband kept a food diary, and noted each day what he ate and how he felt afterwards. That helped him look for which foods triggered his issues.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    wtbarunner wrote: »

Carnivore would be considered the ultimate elimination diet. Taking everything out then adding back in one thing at a time could be beneficial if fodmap still leaves you with some or all of your symptoms. It's a option.