Thoughts RE MyFitnessPall moving the barcode scan to premium?

Options
2»

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate, but understandable. It's probably the best "feature" they have, so it makes sense that they would use it to drive the subscription side.

Personally, I've got 90% of what I eat well established in my recent list, or in my foods/my meals... so I rarely use the barcode scanner at this point.
  • syntaxera
    syntaxera Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don’t like it. How about if MFP does better marketing or adds other options to premium vs taking function away from free version?
    This is a strange decision and I'm concerned that this will also reduce value for premium members - surely the database of new barcodes will be much smaller with fewer members adding new content?
  • smcmullen28
    smcmullen28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don’t like it. How about if MFP does better marketing or adds other options to premium vs taking function away from free version?
    The "free" version is NOT FREE--it's paid for by advertising. It's irritating to have to click through a stack of slow ads just to log my exercise but that's a price I'm willing to pay. I am not willing to fork over cash to use an app with as much competition as MFP has.
    Any bets on whether this turns out to be MFP's "Netflix moment"? Remember, Netflix lost 800K subscribers and its stock price dropped 70% as a result of their corporate cash grab earlier this year. Wise up, MFP.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think it totally sucks to charge for scanner. They could at least show a little class and grandfather in existing users. I have been here since 2009. Seriously looking at LOSE IT APP.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    jeffd247 wrote: »
    Agree with those who have commented that the barcode feature was the best feature of this App, and gatekeeping that behind a premium sub is the end of the app for me.

I understand that Under Armours earnings are down, but I can't see this as a solution to that problem

I'm not sure Under Armour owns this anymore.. Do they?

No, it was sold to a private-equity firm in 2020 at a loss of $130M.

As to the OP, it has no impact on me personally as I haven't logged anything in years and for the most part I only really use this platform for the community. But yeah, it sucks. I started here in 2012 and it was the best free diet and fitness app out there IMO. I kind of saw the writing on the wall when Under Armour bought it in 2015 and added the premium option.

It would seem to me that they're now trying to migrate to an app that is paid with either no free access or a free version that will be limited to the most very basic things. A lot of fitness apps have done this over the last few years, but the problem for MFP is that they are an inferior product in many regards.

There biggest issue is the food database, followed by the constant glitches and downtime and syncing issues. I personally vowed never to pay for premium unless and until they have a database that you don't have to wade through to find a correct entry. One of the things that made it great in 2012 was that the database was far and away larger than anyone else's database due in large part to crowd sourcing of those entries...but then you end up with the issue that we see today with a database that is very large, but also filled with a bunch of hot garbage.

I'd guess this doesn't end well unless this private equity firm revamps the whole thing...but I'm not sure a private equity firm is really that interested in the functionality as much as just making a money grab.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    syntaxera wrote: »
    This is a strange decision and I'm concerned that this will also reduce value for premium members - surely the database of new barcodes will be much smaller with fewer members adding new content?

The database for free and premium is exactly the same and the barcodes pull up the same thing as it would if you just searched for it...the barcode scanner doesn't mean a correct entry is actually being used. The barcode scanner is pulling from the same database as the search function would, they aren't separate databases.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @cwolfman13 The community may be the next thing to go for paying customers only. Aren't we just free users instead of customers. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    @cwolfman13 The community may be the next thing to go for paying customers only. Aren't we just free users instead of customers. ;)

Honestly, the community is really the only thing MFP has that is superior to anyone else out there...probably because it's been around so long. But even the community isn't what it used to be back in the day. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it becomes a premium only feature but that in and of itself would not making MFP worth paying for. If I was someone seriously looking to track calories and nutrition I would have likely migrated somewhere else a long time ago. When I was tracking, MFP was basically one of the only players in the game and certainly the biggest...not really the case these days and I'm sure there are a lot of people who can take or leave the community.

I'd certainly miss it as I love chatting on here, but all good things come to an end at some point.
  • Hiawassee88
    edited August 2022
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Honestly, the community is really the only thing MFP has that is superior to anyone else out there...probably because it's been around so long. But even the community isn't what it used to be back in the day. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it becomes a premium only feature but that in and of itself would not making MFP worth paying for. If I was someone seriously looking to track calories and nutrition I would have likely migrated somewhere else a long time ago. When I was tracking, MFP was basically one of the only players in the game and certainly the biggest...not really the case these days and I'm sure there are a lot of people who can take or leave the community.

I'd certainly miss it as I love chatting on here, but all good things come to an end at some point.

I know. The soup kitchen vs. the dining room. No more soup for you and me. I'm just an ol'hound dog yakkin' on a bone out here in the sagebrush. 😋 I guess it's time to pack UP my marbles and head for the house. A few more chow hall ditties, first.

• justlog2day
    justlog2day Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Completely agree. It's the community component that kept bringing me back. Though, as you say it's nothing like what it used to be back I first started in 2013. The Ban Hammer did some serious damage when it was implemented.

I remember when there was NO App and when there was an App it didn't have the bar code reader. I was totally excited when it began.

I've tried LoseIt and Cronometer and they both have different levels of 'subscriber' versions. I may be wrong but I think their free versions (for now) include a bar code scanner - who knows for how long. Their community component always lacked severely to me - but again - that may have changed by now and improved. I think Cronometer required a paid subscription to have 'friends'.

All in all, these things are free to me since I'd never pay for any of it, so I guess I get what I get. If I'm not willing to contribute to a subscription, I have to put up with ads I hate. And.. now... I lose a functionality that at one time didn't exist.
  • Hiawassee88
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @justlog2day Let's just get it while the gettin' is good. I paid for a big name weight customer community. It was as interesting as watching paint dry and the grass grow. It was mods and volunteers, the discussion was dead. If the community goes away, we have to pay to play. You have to mix it all up to keep it vibrant, exciting and alive.