BMI?

Options
Hi there,
I have calculated my BMI and I am overweight, this is no great surprise BUT I am shocked at how over the healthy limit I am- still 10lbs infact, my goalweight was / is a further 10lbs and no more!
The healthy weight I could go down to is 97lbs!!!! I would have to have a leg amputated!!!! 97lbs would be absolutely unhealthy for me, yet I do not have a large frame or anything - I think at 132 I was good (there were even people saying I should put on a few lbs as I recall????)
So what is the score friends? be on the cusp of healthy or aim for a healthy weight with a little comfort zone so maybe 125lbs BUT I SO CANNOT IMAGINE WEIGHING THIS?

Replies

• kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i often wonder about this. When i started here my bmi was 37 so i was clearly obese. I'm now 27 and have 14 lbs to go until i'm classed as normal. However i don't want to be on the upper limit so my aim is to get a bmi of 22 and then hopefully i will feel like it suits me x
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?
  • heebiejeebie
    heebiejeebie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A BMI of 22-23 suits me. At the moment it's just over 25. I think we get used to seeing overweight as normal and that makes it hard to judge what looks right.
  • Liz75
    Liz75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If I was at the lower end of healthy BMI I would fall down a grid! I am quite tall and broad so I carry more weight. A BMI of 21.5/22 is where I'm aiming, its 23 at the moment, within the healthy range but I know I'm carrying too much fat around my middle. The scale for a healthy weight is BMI 19-24, some say 18-24, 20-25.. however the range allows for different sized individuals.. A tape measure should be used also as a good indication. Don't amputate your leg! ;-)
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 1"
    142lbs
    BMI of 26.8

I am not 'big boned', I am evenly proportioned and when I gain or lose weight it goes on evenly from the tip of my head to my finger tips and toes.
    I don't think friends etc are just being polite but on those occasions when the subject has been discussed they are ALWAYS really surprised at how much I weigh compared to what they think I weigh, I dunno if I am just trying to find excuses not to diet to where I should? possibly..... am I just used to being a fatso? possibly.....
  • taijade
    taijade Posts: 38
    Options
    I really hate the BMI thing.
    Mine tells me that a weight of 125-128lbs is healthy and "normal" for me....My bone structure and muscle structure automatically contradicts that.

What I'm aiming for is what feels right and healthy to ME and MY body; rather than going by something that is essentially just a number; so I'm shooting for 150lbs.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If I was at the lower end of healthy BMI I would fall down a grid! I am quite tall and broad so I carry more weight. A BMI of 21.5/22 is where I'm aiming, its 23 at the moment, within the healthy range but I know I'm carrying too much fat around my middle. The scale for a healthy weight is BMI 19-24, some say 18-24, 20-25.. however the range allows for different sized individuals.. A tape measure should be used also as a good indication. Don't amputate your leg! ;-)

okay so I will continue to be a two legged woman, with a BMI of a 4 legged one!!! LOL!!!