Story about starvation mode

Options
2»

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

Then I guess the above article from Weight Watchers is a total lie, as it debunks the myth of starvation mode.

But I know I'm in the minority here as I don't buy the starvation mode idea. Nor do I buy the idea that there is a magic number of calories one must eat every day. I think weight loss is as individual as the person. No two bodies will react the same way to the same food. Find what works for you and stick with it.

This article talks about a specific misconception with regards to starvation mode. I.E. the idea that if you don't eat enough you won't lose weight, which IS a myth. But it also confirms, by way of the first paragraph, the fact that your body will, in fact, reduce it's metabolism if you create a large calorie deficit (which is what starvation mode really is). It also very meticulously tap dances around any other issues that can arise from eating far to few calories such as nutrient deficiencies, long term organ damage, reduced immune system, increased risk of systemic diseases, and possible neurological damage that can all come from a prolonged session of reduced calories.

• Tandksmommy10
    Options
    Anyone who does any kind of research knows that a 'normal' person should never go below 1200 calories for a woman, and I'm not sure what it is for a man. So why would you do it? It's common sense that spending your life in the gym, is just not safe or healthy. I guess I'm just shocked people can be so naive.

Yet I was doing both.

And I proved it's not safe or healthy.

I'm not saying I was in any kind of 'starvation' mode. Just that if you do something like I was for an extended time you're going to give yourself health problems, just as you would if you ate 2 extra large pizza's every day for six months. Overloading and Under loading are both dangerous.

Edit: It's all about the balance.

Exactly, and I'm just trying to figure out how anyone could actually think it was healthy? I know there are people who know it's not healthy, but don't care and do it anyway. But the people who actually think it's the right thing to do amaze me.