The 'skinny fat' issue and maintaining..

Options
Hey guys,

So just looking for some advice/opinions from others on here that might be or were in a similar position to me

I weigh 112 pounds right now, height 5ft3...i'm at my desired weight, from various calculations and tracking over time i've worked out my bf to be around 23%, right now i'm overall quite happy with my body apart from the fat remaining on my upper tummy moreso.
I'm not naive I knew by loosing weight alone this fat would just not dissapear but it has dropped so much since I joined on here, I know i should have been doing strength training all along but it has been a learning process. Doing JM's 3/2/1 system has really improved my physique.

Now i've started actual strength training classes so i'm just looking for some advice where to go from here, i've been eating at maintenance days i train and cutting a bit on other days so as to lower my body fat a bit more but maintain as much muscle as i can, i'm not to pushed for gaining further muscle just to keep what i have. Am i doing this the right way, here is a sitting pic side view of my tummy taken last july..measurements have gone down a bit since then but just to give an idea...

23wgut.jpg

and when standing

28usk87.jpg

Sorry may seem like such a large post but would really appreciate some input/advice. :)

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You are correct that you should be strength training. You don't want a cardio-focused routine with some strength training thrown in, you want to make lifting your foundation.

Jillian Micheals videos or "strength training classes" are ok for a starting point, but you'll get better results with a real strength training program.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I know that I must sound like a broken record but I recommend reading the book, the new rules of lifting for women. Even if you do not do the program, the informations are great.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Up your protein and do more ab exercises. BUT depending on how much you WERE before the journey--some girls have stretched their skin out and need to have some removed IF THEY CHOOSE.. But I would certainly work on my ad exercises DAILY.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Sure, all the above but

PS: You look fabulous!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Up your protein and do more ab exercises. BUT depending on how much you WERE before the journey--some girls have stretched their skin out and need to have some removed IF THEY CHOOSE.. But I would certainly work on my ad exercises DAILY.

No.

Select a weight training program. Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, New Rules, whichever one works for you.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

:noway: :huh:

The OP is NOT a candidate for skin removal surgery. Did this person even look at the pictures!!?!?

OP, you look fantastic. Keep lifting and eating at or just under maintenance and you will LOVE the strength you gain and the way you look.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Ummmm.... She doesn't have a lick of loose skin. She looks fabulous.

As other's stated, NROLFW or similar would take you from already fabulous to "holy crap rockstar" status.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

no just no...she's not a candidate...

a simple strength program will provide all the help she needs.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

really? did you look at her pics?

skin removal?!

JohnHeaddesk.gif
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. Weight, bmi, even bf is in the good range but I still have that tummy. :-/ I have just finished my third month of my heavy lifting routine and I can't tell you enough about the changes it is making to my body. Some areas are getting leaner faster than others but I am getting leaner. I can't see my abs yet, although I am seeing some lines of definition which is letting me know they are there!! More importantly I feel them when I move now when I rarely ever felt them before. I'm getting stronger and that is awesome! :-)

There are quite a few good programs out there to choose from so read up and decide which one fits you best. New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, Thinner Leaner Stronger, just to name a few. The problem I'm having is with patience. The approach we're taking takes a little while but it does work and I think in the end we will be thrilled with the results!! Good luck to you!!! :smile:
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    You look great.

I agree with the comments regarding strength training /lifting. :smile:

8488541.png
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Strength training is your best bet, building muscle is a good thing muscle mass helps burn fat New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book to follow.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

no just no...she's not a candidate...

a simple strength program will provide all the help she needs.

I agree with everyone. A bit more exericse and you'll convert that tiny bit of extra flab to muscle and look even more wonderful. It's just transitional - it will go.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue also. Time to strength train i think!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Stop+complaining+the+fandom+has+been+waiting+for+9+months+_d3ce287f4f0beb54c704651cfe0d0563.gif
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    oh no no no no need for skin removal ( look at my progress pic) just light heavy weight multiple times 3 -4 times a week eat your protein and enough cals to fuel you up and voila
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat as you. I am 5.2 ft and 114 something lbs... it bounces all over,lol but in general 114 lbs. I too had the exact same thing as in your pic and for me i really wanted to lower my body fat, i did clx ( chalean extreme) and built some muscle and lowered my body fat a bit but i still fund i needed to burn that fat layer off to see the muscle more so i am doing focus t25 right now and it's doing the trick...I am not really losing inches with the program as i think i am at my body shape measurement wise but i am losing body fat. in the 1st 5 weeks i lost a good 1% body fat. I was around 23-24 % before and now between 22-23%, my goal is to be 20-21%. I am starting to get the look i want. when i am done this i will pick up the weights again and re do clx and get some more definition going.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I love pilates and swear by it for a flatter stomach and stronger core.

You look great by the way. Congratulations! :-)
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful!
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! My body fat percentage is about the same as yours but I have a long upper body so it appears to be lean. When I feel plump in that area I find that focusing on upper body and lower body ( quads and hamstrings) helps reveal stomach muscles. I think you are on the right track already and you will have results (contingent on diet also of course)