Leveling up!

Options
4 more stripes then I can test for red/black belt.
3a5z2qdr6pme.jpeg

Replies

• JoshIsRunning
    JoshIsRunning Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What discipline?
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    That’s really cool! Congratulations!
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    ElMeroKeeQue Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Hollis300
    Hollis300 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm an older person, and one of my life regrets is that I didn't take karate when I was younger. Good for you, keep going, great achievement! :)
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    Options
    Hollis300 wrote: »
    Congratulations! I'm an older person, and one of my life regrets is that I didn't take karate when I was younger. Good for you, keep going, great achievement! :)
    Thank you! I’m no spring chicken myself and dealing with soreness, recovery and injury has been a major focus for me. I’ve had my shoulder sprained for nearly two months now and it hasn’t been easy during sparring to only use one arm, my less dominant arm.

I train with guys who are in their 60s as well. Black belts that can completely destroy me in my early/mid 40s. It can be done! You just have to want to go for it! I say do it!
  • DSpence1973
    DSpence1973 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I didn't start training BJJ/MMA until I was 46 years old. I am 5'11" and started at 215 lbs. I had borderline high BP and high cholesterol. In my first six months of training I dropped close to 50 lbs and no longer have BP or cholesterol issues. When I started my back was in such bad shape from a big belly and lack of exercise that I could barely lay flat on the ground without pain. I stuck with it and as the lbs started falling off it became easier. Truthfully, BJJ is actually not all that hard on joints, but you will have aching muscles if you go to hard. I also like to mountain bike, snowboard, and run. I will tell you all of those are harder my joints than BJJ.
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    edited September 2022
    Options

I didn't start training BJJ/MMA until I was 46 years old. I am 5'11" and started at 215 lbs. I had borderline high BP and high cholesterol. In my first six months of training I dropped close to 50 lbs and no longer have BP or cholesterol issues. When I started my back was in such bad shape from a big belly and lack of exercise that I could barely lay flat on the ground without pain. I stuck with it and as the lbs started falling off it became easier. Truthfully, BJJ is actually not all that hard on joints, but you will have aching muscles if you go to hard. I also like to mountain bike, snowboard, and run. I will tell you all of those are harder my joints than BJJ.
    Same! I hurt my shoulder doing something stupid (going too hard for a guillotine and I didn’t have it), and then aggravated it trying to kick a pad too hard. And then aggravated it again in a grappling match rolling to get position.

I started training 3 years ago and I’m just now learning that I don’t need to use so much strength. These injuries have taught me that. And also in that time I’ve lost 67 lbs. I was in the same situation as you. I was 5’11” 245 lbs. Martial arts has changed my life! I’m now 177 lbs!

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's such a good feeling. I actually booked to go back to TKD after 5 years off, I reached Cho Dan Bo, then my club moved, and I moved, and gave it up. It's time to go back!
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    Options
    Congratulations! It's such a good feeling. I actually booked to go back to TKD after 5 years off, I reached Cho Dan Bo, then my club moved, and I moved, and gave it up. It's time to go back!
    Get after it! There’s no time like the present time to resume your journey!
  • Hollis300
    Hollis300 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One more stripe added last night!

awesome, congrats!
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    Options
    hee2aaxejb2e.jpeg

Another stripe added. Two more until red/black belt test. Got two submissions tonight and didn't get submitted once. Made it through those matches with stalemates.
    Great night. Still letting the adrenaline die down so I can get some sleep. Only drawback of nights like this.
  • DSpence1973
    DSpence1973 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    hee2aaxejb2e.jpeg

Another stripe added. Two more until red/black belt test. Got two submissions tonight and didn't get submitted once. Made it through those matches with stalemates.
    Great night. Still letting the adrenaline die down so I can get some sleep. Only drawback of nights like this.

Very nice. I went to our review last weekend. I had four matches, first two I got 4/0 subs and 5/0 subs. The third was a tie. The fourth I went 0/2, it was a tough match against a kid 23 years younger than me and about 20 lbs heavier. So in that sense I think I did ok keeping him to 2 subs in a 15 minute match. I got a notification that I got a promotion, I assume 1 stripe, but sometimes they do two stripes. Been a busy week, I have not back back to gym yet to find out.
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    Options
    hee2aaxejb2e.jpeg

Very nice. I went to our review last weekend. I had four matches, first two I got 4/0 subs and 5/0 subs. The third was a tie. The fourth I went 0/2, it was a tough match against a kid 23 years younger than me and about 20 lbs heavier. So in that sense I think I did ok keeping him to 2 subs in a 15 minute match. I got a notification that I got a promotion, I assume 1 stripe, but sometimes they do two stripes. Been a busy week, I have not back back to gym yet to find out.

Nice! Hard work is paying off!
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    Options
    Next test is for red/black belt in January.
    q96sadtw7854.jpeg
  • zakia_q
    zakia_q Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is inspiring 🤩
    Thanks for sharing your achievements 🙏🏾
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    bvvh490rl52p.jpeg
    Mission red/black: accomplished. Next is black.

Congratulations: That's so wonderful - hard, persistent work rewarded!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!