I’m going to stop buying bread

Options
I just made 2 nice veggie wraps for lunch
90 calories each for the wrap by itself
My whole wheat bread is 180 calories a slice!
The wraps seem to last longer
And bread is pretty well stale in 1 week.
Have you ditched the bread as well?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Wow, I've never seen a bread with 180 calories per slice! My breads (I buy two kinds) are about 160 calories for two slices.

I don't like flour wraps because they use palm oil and/or palmitate and it's a non-sustainable product, but definitely cutting back on grains in general has been a valid strategy for me. I don't buy cereals, crackers, pretzels, or chips very often and that helps my calorie intake quite a bit.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    There’s very good low carb wraps that are 45 apiece, and make great tortillas as well.

We like the Lewis Bakeries line of low cal breads at 35-45 per slice. Their hamburger buns are fabulous. Moist and tasty for 70 calories each. For some reason, their hotdog buns are dry and unpalatable.

I just bought some lavash bread that is 80 calories for 56 grams. Great as a wrap with moist contents. Otherwise it’s a bit dry. We’ve used it as a pizza crust, too.

OTOH, I just got back from Germany. I was happy as heck to make room in my calories to enjoy some truly good bread. Lauganecke are to die for.

My own homemade bread is nothing to sneeze at either.

Sometimes ya just gotta have it. And enjoy it.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Err, 180 per slice? It's 70 per slice for the whole wheat bread I buy.

For sandwiches I use thin style rounds. 100 cals per round (includes top and bottom). Bonus, because more of the sandwich is the actual contents rather than the bread, it tastes better too. Two rounds for me (large male) instead of four slices == 80 cals saved.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-bake-shop-honey-wheat-thin-style-rounds-12-oz/1935566
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    "My whole wheat bread is 180 calories a slice!"

Are you sure about that? Have you checked the packaging?
    Mine is 90cal / slice and double that seems odd.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I love bread and will never give it up.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    9q79gj48ikb8.png
    I turned my bedroom into a breadroom. I love bread, y'all.
    https://www.nbc.com/maya-and-marty/video/oprah-bread/3048053
    Danny, there are so many variations on the shelves.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "My whole wheat bread is 180 calories a slice!"

Are you sure about that? Have you checked the packaging?
    Mine is 90cal / slice and double that seems odd.

Some of the denser breads with oats and seeds can really get up there calorie-wise.
    I recently had some Brownberry Organic 22 Grains and Seeds and it was listed at 140 per slice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not particularly big on wraps and like my sandwiches. Haven't ditched bread. I use Dave's Killer 21 whole grains and seeds most of the time, which is a pretty dense bread. It comes in at 110 calories per slice. Their Good Seed bread is the most calorie dense at 120 calories per slice. Are you sure you're reading the nutritional label correctly? I don't think I've seen bread that calorie dense unless it's a hamburger bun or something.
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to gain weight so I eat bread all the time! I also eat whole wheat because of the fiber content, but mine is only 70 calories per slice.
  • chriseditcool
    chriseditcool Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bread at the end of the day is just sugar. Stop buying it is a good beginning. Good for you. 👍
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as an either/or. My store-bought bread is 70 cals per slice and I prefer toasted bread for BLTs, tuna sandwiches and alongside eggs. I occasionally bake my own bread which goes stale quickly and thus requires A Plan. I can go weeks without buying bread... or wraps. Whatever suits. Tonight's dinner is a meatball/mozzarella/mushroom/onion wrap. Yum!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    My bread is 50 calories a slice and I never give it time to go stale :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    I just read that sugar never spoils.

So there. :p
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Bread at the end of the day is just sugar. Stop buying it is a good beginning. Good for you. 👍

Most of the carbohydrates in bread come from starch. Carbohydrates are starch, fiber, and sugar...three different things. My 21 grains and seeds bread is 5 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber, 22 whole grains, and 5 grams of sugar. Most of that sugar is naturally occurring in the oats and other whole grains and seeds. Average white bread is actually only around 2 grams of sugar. If I eat a sandwich, just the bread alone is going to give me 10 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber. There are also breads like sourdough which are very good for your gut health as they have live cultures and are probiotic.

If you want to talk about "just sugar", most of the calories from fruits and vegetables are in fact, just sugar. Nothing wrong with that either. Sugar isn't some evil thing...overconsumption of sugar can be an issue for sure if you're eating a lot of candy or drinking sodas or otherwise consuming a lot of added sugars...but in and of itself it's fine. Overconsuming anything isn't good for you as it generally crowds out other necessary nutrition.

I eat very little in the way of added sugars and well below WHO recommendations so I don't really concern myself with it much.
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I made a mistake… that was for 2 slices of bread 🤠
    I’m still going to cut the bread off my shopping list,
    I really don’t think it’s good for me
    I really think wraps are a better alternative.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I made a mistake… that was for 2 slices of bread 🤠
    I’m still going to cut the bread off my shopping list,
    I really don’t think it’s good for me
    I really think wraps are a better alternative.

Ah so per sandwich then and about on a par with other posters counts.

I agree with the poster who said it isn't either/ or - meaning one can sometimes have a wrap, sometimes a sandwich or toast.

As to your question,have you ditched the bread?

No I havent. I have bread sometimes and a wrap occasionally.

As to bread going stale I solve that by keeping it in the freezer

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,369 Member
    Options
    I didn't completely ditch bread, and I don't even like bread all that much. 🤷‍♀️ It's a "sometimes food" . . . just like it was when I was obese. 🤣