Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Hollis300 wrote: »
    For critical thinkers only.

If 75% of people admitted to hospitals that had a heart related event had LDL in what they consider acceptable levels of 130 or less and of those 50% had LDL levels under 100 with 17% under 70 also with only 2% of that population with accetable levels of HDL, then why are the other 25% with above acceptable levels for LDL not having heart related events? Any thoughts?

I can't answer your question, only throwing another factor into the picture. My neighbor had very high cholesterol. However, her cholesterol pieces were large and didn't "stick" in her blood vessels, so she didn't take statins and had no heart events -- and she lived into her 90s. The size/type of cholesterol is important.

I appreciate your candid opinion. Like any topic on the planet, there's the conventional wisdom which drives popular opinion and then there is nuance that goes deeper, uncovering aspects that are rarely given a second thought, but can be very relevant and when on a scientific/biological level needs to be researched ad nauseum to begin to understand. In your particular circumstance you mentioned the type and size of LDL, which does add intrinsic value to the conversation. Cheers.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Size/type are not typically measured in the US, I would guess, although possibly for people with heart problems. Does anyone have information on this testing?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Size/type are not typically measured in the US, I would guess, although possibly for people with heart problems. Does anyone have information on this testing?

Actually the basic cholesterol panel results in basically a reductive method that leaves them with an LDL number, so basically it's a best guess estimate. In other words they take your total cholesterol count then substract HDL which gives them an LDL count. There is a test they can do that actually counts the accurate amount of blood LDL, but generally that's not done very much or ever. And if they're going to that trouble then might as well test for particle size. Back a few years ago the VAP test was common but it may be called something different now based on newer technology. Polyacrylamide gradient gel electrophoresis and NMR spectroscopy are a few more, but ask your Dr. they may use a different method for testing.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    thanks! @neanderthin
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I would recommend going to a lipologist. Most doctors don't specialize in cholesterol and just parrot guideline data. 207 is not crazy high, especially considering you have a high HDL which drives up total cholesterol level.

You have gotten some good advice. I would also recommend adding some lifting.