Crystal Light..

Options
Hello!

Well, I've managed to wean myself off of diet soda for the most part. Yay for me! I will only indulge during a meal on the weekends (if I even need it then..) Most days I'm drinking at least 60+oz of water a day.
But my real question is this, although most of my water intake is plain old water, during lunch I do enjoy a lemonade crystal light. Is this just as bad as diet soda since it has aspartame? I don't want to replace one bad habit with another. Ya know?

Replies

• cheryleosborne
    Options
    I am a semi-reformed Diet Pepsi-holic. I am down to one a day, and now I drink almost exclusively water with sugar-free lemonade mix in it, and a lot of it. I just can't make myself drink that much plain water.

I was going to say I have the same question .. .but I really don't. I know the answer, probably you do too --- this stuff is most likely just as bad for you as the Diet soda, because it has the same "bad" stuff in it. Just without the caffeine (which to me was the best part).

So yeah, it's probably best not to drink it, but if it is really just one a day I wouldn't sweat it. There is no way to eliminate everything "bad for you". If you look hard enough, you will find evidence that almost everything is "bad for you".

I on the other hand, need to put on my big girl pants (although slightly smaller now) and start drinking plain water.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Diet soda - Crystal Light ..... yeah kinda the same thing. But, you are limiting yourself to once a day.... that's good!

I do drink a diet soda at night..... moderation is the key.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Crystal Light...until I mixed it in a large pitcher and kept it in the fridge. The chemicals that stuck to the glass...yuck! I knew those same chemicals were sticking to my organs...not a pleasant thought. I'm back on the plain water track.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Well, I've managed to wean myself off of diet soda for the most part. Yay for me! I will only indulge during a meal on the weekends (if I even need it then..) Most days I'm drinking at least 60+oz of water a day.
    But my real question is this, although most of my water intake is plain old water, during lunch I do enjoy a lemonade crystal light. Is this just as bad as diet soda since it has aspartame? I don't want to replace one bad habit with another. Ya know?

Luckily aspartame is fine, so you can drink both diet soda and crystal light with no negative health effects

inb4fearmongering
  • Acg67
    Options
    I used to drink Crystal Light...until I mixed it in a large pitcher and kept it in the fridge. The chemicals that stuck to the glass...yuck! I knew those same chemicals were sticking to my organs...not a pleasant thought. I'm back on the plain water track.

Not sure if srs, perhaps it was the powdered mix not fully mixed?
  • Cath_active
    Options
    I love crystal light. but i,ve swithed to the liquid crystal light and mio...they have less choices but they taste nice as well
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am a semi-reformed Diet Pepsi-holic. I am down to one a day, and now I drink almost exclusively water with sugar-free lemonade mix in it, and a lot of it. I just can't make myself drink that much plain water.

I was going to say I have the same question .. .but I really don't. I know the answer, probably you do too --- this stuff is most likely just as bad for you as the Diet soda, because it has the same "bad" stuff in it. Just without the caffeine (which to me was the best part).

So yeah, it's probably best not to drink it, but if it is really just one a day I wouldn't sweat it. There is no way to eliminate everything "bad for you". If you look hard enough, you will find evidence that almost everything is "bad for you".

I on the other hand, need to put on my big girl pants (although slightly smaller now) and start drinking plain water.

Haha, I was a diet pepsi lover also. :) I was never more than 1 or two cans a day. If that. But I still had it everyday. So I decided to stop that! And yeah.. I'm trying to find something better.. I need to find something without aspartame.. Ugh.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    Options

You know, that is a great point.. LoL. I do notice it stick to the lid of my plastic cup I use at work.. Yikes.. Maybe I won't finish the rest of the packets I have.. :/
  • Acg67
    Options

Haha, I was a diet pepsi lover also. :) I was never more than 1 or two cans a day. If that. But I still had it everyday. So I decided to stop that! And yeah.. I'm trying to find something better.. I need to find something without aspartame.. Ugh.

I would suggest attempting some non biased research on aspartame
  • Acg67
    Options

You know, that is a great point.. LoL. I do notice it stick to the lid of my plastic cup I use at work.. Yikes.. Maybe I won't finish the rest of the packets I have.. :/

Better not drink plain water either, also full of chemicals
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I can't say with certainty, but I'd have to agree with the consensus that it probably is. Crystal Light is just artificial sweeter and some flavoring though. Make your own naturally! Lemon juice or fruit added to your water can make all the difference. You can put anything from lemon, berries, mint, cucumber, ginger, etc. in your water to give it more flavor. Some concoctions taste better than others. Also, you could try a more natural sweetener like agave or acai which have less sugar and calories. Lemon flavored water? Why not use lemon? Berry flavored water? Why not use some mashed berries? Most of the time if you leave a pitcher in the fridge overnight with whatever additives you like, it will leave the water with a subtle taste of whatever has soaked in it. You can always go the tea route too. Tea is very healthy for you and rich in antioxidants and lots of other goodies.

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/healthy-drinks/20-tips-make-drinking-water-taste-better

http://www.whitehouseblackshutters.com/50-ways-to-make-water-taste-better/

http://www.wikihow.com/Love-the-Taste-of-Water
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

You really underestimate the abilities of the human body in digestion... they far exceed the digestive abilities of a large pitcher.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with drinking crystal light if you want. If you like the fizziness of soda,I suggest you try the La Croix waters. They have no sodium, artificial sweeteners, no calories, but plenty of fizz.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I had some leftover beef-tomato-mac in a tupperware container in the fridge. After I ate it, I noticed plenty if it stuck to the side of the container. I knew those same ingredients were sticking to my organs...not a pleasant thought. Maybe I should quit eating since it's obvious my digestive system doesn't work. :laugh: :laugh:
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    One recommendation I have for you is using the SodaStream mixes (the ones you can buy at Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. for the machines) and making your own lemonade drink instead. Their "diet" versions of drinks (which don't always need to be carbonated- the diet peach iced tea, diet reg tea, diet lemonade) have no aspartame. There's still Splenda and acesulfame potassium...the latter of which I try to avoid having TOO much of. But, it's much better than aspartame in my opinion. Then, you can have your one drink a day and not feel too guilty! And if you buy the sodastream, bonus is it can be carbonated!
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    Options

If you noticed, I did mention that most of what I drink is plain water. No need to be a smart *kitten* about it.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I add lemon juice and stevia to water.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

If you noticed, I did mention that most of what I drink is plain water. No need to be a smart *kitten* about it.

"Plain" water is hardly just H2O... its full of a lot of other chemicals... not to mention H2O is a chemical compound, start eliminating everything containing chemicals and you die. Have fun.
  • erinyoung9415
    erinyoung9415 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say I was a "reformed Diet-Pepsi-aholic" but I still love my Diet Pepsi! :) However, I do drink over 100ozs of water a day so I figure it helps flush out all the Diet Pepsi. Haha I know it's bad for me and I shouldn't do it but it's my vice. But yeah, CL is pretty much the same thing...it's the dang aspartame!