How many people have elected to do 1 pound a week?

Options
Hi All,

I set up my MFP for the one pound a week. I am of the school that if you lose it slow, your body won't know. And I'm trying to find a new way of eating for life that the pounds come off and STAY off. I do have a substantial amount to lose (between 50 and 70 pounds.)

But from reading most people posts, it seems that I am in the minority.

Anybody else doing the 1 pound a week plan?

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    according to this site, i am doing a half a pound a week, but in reality it works out to be closer to a fourth a pound a week. :)
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am set up for 0.3 lbs per week. When I started I was really busy and knew that any major life change works better if implemented gradually. I am happy with this setting & I have lost more than 0.3 lbs per week.
  • Peridotite
    Peridotite Posts: 66
    Options
    I too am set up for 1 pound a week. Like you I think it is the better way to do it. Sometimes, because of my daily activities I loss a little more but ususally it is 1 pound or less.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I just changed mine to 1lbs at the beginning of the month. The first week I lost 2.9 the second 1.4 and this last week was 0.6.
    I've lost 1.25 inches off my waist and .75 off my hips...in the past 3 weeks. After being stuck for the past few months.
  • bigtechno
    bigtechno Posts: 5
    Options
    I did it for a pound a week (slow and steady wins the race) and have found it quite manageble (29 pounds since January)
    i find it was more about cutting down on portion size and eating healthier rather than dieting and starving myself. I'm sure other people do it other ways but I am finding it works for me.
    and once you have lost 10+ pounds it asks you to recalculate and cuts down the calories slightly to keep you loosing and if I can loose 52 pounds over the year I will be over the moon!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I was originally set up for 1/2 pound a week but due to my body responding to the "good" foods I lost much more on a weekly basis. :flowerforyou: Good luck to you on your journey.
  • mekhala
    mekhala Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i am doing the 1lb a week plan, and trying to talk my man into doing the same thing, i want to change the way i eat, not be on a fad diet for a few weeks then get bored and binge on what i like for a few weeks, xx
  • jeanineadele
    jeanineadele Posts: 114
    Options
    I joined in Jan but I actually just started using the site 2 weeks ago. I started at 1.5 pounds, did 6 days on 2 pounds and then put it back to 1.5 pounds. I'm from the age when the "safe" diets were always 1,200 calories a day. Now that is considered to little for the good reason is it is to hard to maintain long term. I think setting it at a half pound a week seems smart because the corrections would be so minimal that you could do them long term. I wish you much success.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 2 pounds per week plan, but that's only because I am working to drop such a large amount (about 95 pounds now). I started out looking to lose one pound per week because I didn't want to exercise, but now that I've found something that I like (Zumba classes are AMAZING!) I raised it so that I'm losing more (and eating more too!). Good luck with your loss!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    When I first started, I had mine set at 2 pounds a week, but about a month in I lowered it to 1 because that became more realistic. The first pounds just come off easier and as you go along they come off in smaller sets; so just be realistic with your expectations along the way. Losing the weight slow is definitely the way to go because if we think about it, that is how we gained the weight....it crept on over time! Good luck!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am. I agree with your school of thought entirely!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I just set mine to 1.5 last week, it had been set at 2. Somehow both my knee's messed up at the same time and my exercise is down so I think this is more reasonable for me at this point.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    When I 1st joined I set it at 2, figured I'd just drop the pounds quick & be done.
    Bad idea. I quickly realized that just was not enough food.
    My best & most consistent losses have come set at 0.4 lbs/week. And I feel 10x better in the process.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I would be happy with a lb a week - weight comes off very slowly for me so I am simply trying to look at big picture and not worry about the actual number..
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I think setting it at a half pound a week seems smart because the corrections would be so minimal that you could do them long term. I wish you much success.

I really agree with this!! I'm determined that this is going to be a permanent change for me and anything radical in terms of rules or really low calories would just derail me in the end. So I'm making tiny tweaks to the way I cook and eat and exercising more. I started with two pounds a week, but I found it demoralising. One pound a week is very do-able for me and even though it's going to take me nearly a year to get to my goal, by then I figure my habits will be so engrained there's no way I'll gain it back.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    Mine is set for 1 pound a week. However, I seem to do about 1.5 pounds a week and yesterdays weigh in gave me a whopping 3.4 pounds lost in a week. I put that down to 2 huge calorie burns the previous week. I want to lose slowly so it stays off. Never thought of changing mine to 1/2 pounds a week. Might try that.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone who says that trying to lose at a 1 lb per week rate should allow you to get more of a lifestyle change than anything more radical. I also happen to enjoy food - alot - and have always found that part of the reason I lose and regain is because I don't like having to count calories, points, number of meals - whatever the 'diet du jour' is.. with MFP, I am truly becoming more committed to exercise and to paying attention to my portion sizes. I am all about slow and steady - and long term success. Good luck to you ..and to everyone on the same journey.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I set mine up that way in the beginning. When I got to 8 pounds from my goal, I set it to 1/2 a pound a week. I've had pretty consistent weight loss when I follow the plan. I usually lose from 1-2 pounds a week. I've always heard that was the best way to lose, so that's why I set it up that way.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    according to this site, i am doing a half a pound a week, but in reality it works out to be closer to a fourth a pound a week. :)

I'm actually losing about twice what I should - I'm at 1 lb in my settings but losing 2. However, I have my activity at "sedentary" (but not quite at "lightly active" ) and I'm probably a bit more active than that aside from exercise.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone who says that trying to lose at a 1 lb per week rate should allow you to get more of a lifestyle change than anything more radical. I also happen to enjoy food - alot - and have always found that part of the reason I lose and regain is because I don't like having to count calories, points, number of meals - whatever the 'diet du jour' is.. with MFP, I am truly becoming more committed to exercise and to paying attention to my portion sizes. I am all about slow and steady - and long term success. Good luck to you ..and to everyone on the same journey.

I figure a 1lb/wk loss is a way to permanently adjust my lifestyle, and what kinds of foods and portions my body "expects." A more aggressive plan would make it harder to keep off the weight, IMHO.