Football Seasonal Body

drtradecraft
drtradecraft Posts: 25 Member
Back in the late 1980's, I had the privilege of spending some time with Herschel Walker. Long story short, he told me he does push-ups and sit-ups during TV commercials and his words, 'he loves TV'. He said he may do hundreds of each during a sitting. Fast forward to 2013, I began a fun and unique football game watching exercise routine. Well, it was fun according to me. So you know, I am a Texas Tech graduate. I began doing push-ups for every touchdown Texas Tech scored and here is how that looked. When Tech scored their first touchdown, I dropped and did 7 push-ups. When Texas Tech scored their second touchdown, I dropped and did 14 push-ups. If it was a high scoring game, I got in a great workout. Before you underestimate this, here is the formula for total push-ups completed during a game: ((N+1)N/2)7
Example, if Tech scored 35 points, or five touchdowns, ((5+1)5/2)7 or 5+1 = 6 and 6 times 5 = 30 and 30 divided by 2 = 15 and 15 times 7 = 105. So, if Tech scored 35 points, I did 105 pushups. Here are the 'per game' pushups I had to do during the Kliff Kingsbury years. Again, per game.

2013 87 push-ups
2014 63 push-ups
2015 147 push-ups (thanks to Patrick Mahomes)
2016 126 push-ups (Mahomes still throwing TDs)
2017 96 push-ups
2018 99 push-ups

In 2018 Texas Tech beat Lamar 77 to 0. Do the math - that's 462 push-ups. The next week, Tech put 63 points on Houston - that's 315 push-ups. Some game days will be tougher than others. Later in that same year, Tech was shut out and I never got off the couch.

In 2019, because Tech scored a bit infrequently, I added sit-ups using the same formula for every touchdown the opposing team scored. Field goals did not count - sorry kickers.

So join me in for the Football Seasonal Body. Pick your favorite team to drop and do push-ups. If you are lucky enough to pick a high-scoring offense, you will do over 100 push-ups per game and your going to improve your football body this season. If push-ups aren't your thing, do body squats, of high-knee lifts, or curls, or....
To be clear, I maintain my regular Monday through Friday workout schedule throughout the week so this game-day special is additive. Good luck and maybe you'll be doing push-ups through a bowl game.

Replies

• drtradecraft
    drtradecraft Posts: 25 Member
    Week one of college football is behind us and it was an up-down Saturday for me. Tech scored 9 touchdowns so I had to complete 315 pushups over the course of the 3 1/2 hour game. Here was my experience from a pushup perspective: 7, 14, 21, 28, 35, 42 - my son stopped by right before this set and while I was going to break this set into two sets of 21, my son encouraged me (shamed me) into doing the entire 42 at once, 49 (25, 24), 56 (30, 26), 63 (33, 30). The second experience was my wife encouraging Tech by yelling at the TV for Tech to score again so I would have to hit the floor. It was a family affair. The following Sunday, she aske me if I was going to do pushup during pro games on Sunday as well. She said she might find some kind of workout to join me. Hmmm.... September is my 100 pushups per day month so, for example, I did 100 pushups last night while watching Masterchef. Then I got the bands out of the closet and did some movements during commercials. I'm telling you, this is a good way to watch TV together and stay active together. Don't fast forward through the commercials - workout during the commercials. Shout out to Herschel Walker.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,939 Member
    I did something like this during the NFL season a few years ago. Average scores tend to be lower in the NFL than college, with games of 6+ TD's a rarity. So for comparison purposes, you'll get fewer reps watching an NFL game than a college game, usually. Especially if you're a fan of, shall we say, certain scoring-allergic teams. (You know who you are. lol)