What's your opinion on knee wraps when squatting?

Options
skeo
skeo Posts: 471 Member
I'm starting to develop a squat obsession, maybe because it's my weak point at the moment and it's driving me bonkers.

I tried to search the forums, but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

Another question, are knee wraps beneficial when doing squats? I've seen two guys at my gym who wrap their knees with what looks to be a karate belt type of fabric, it's not a brace, but a wrap; but they've wrapped both of their knees before hitting heavy squats. Heavy per my standards, and maybe even theirs, but it's not 400lbs or anything, but definitely more than 200.

My question as a beginning squatter still working on form correction, I tried the box attempt to make sure I am at least parallel to correct some of my concerns before; to take some of the "crunch" I feel in my knees, (knee issues such as torn cartilage and meniscus tear) would wrapping them help ease a bit of this tension? OR would it cause weakness, when/if I am able to hit a higher weight, because my knees haven't strengthened on their own.

Currently I am only practing and making sure my form is correct (see my previous posts about squats, lol) should I not worry about knee stress/tension until I am able to squat at least 135lbs correctly?

TLDR; are knee wraps beneficial for squats?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of wraps that I bought from a company called "Inzer". I only wear them when I have knee soreness, otherwise I do not wear the wraps regularly. I do however wear a belt when the weight hits a certain %.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    don't start wearing them until you are near your physical limits. wearing them (or virtually any form of brace) will hinder the development of whatever stabilizing muscle that you're shoring up. you're going to want to avoid straps, wraps, and braces for as long as you can and then feel free to use them as necessary.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    don't start wearing them until you are near your physical limits. wearing them (or virtually any form of brace) will hinder the development of whatever stabilizing muscle that you're shoring up. you're going to want to avoid straps, wraps, and braces for as long as you can and then feel free to use them as necessary.

+1

If you're having trouble with knees or any other joint while you're starting out then it's either your form or you need to get the issue looked at. For me getting sole orthodics solved my knee and shin splint issues.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    While I do agree with Dav Pal about limitations I also know that they helped me when my knee was bad. After I healed up I quit wearing one. Now I have this giant robo arm instead!!! lol.....
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Agreed. And even then I'd only use this stuff for your very upper sets. For example I only put on the belt for my maximal squats and deadlifts. I haven't tried knee wraps at all, personally.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Get some knee sleeves. They will keep your knees warm while squatting.
    Wraps are a different animal..
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. :)
  • Davidhbx
    Davidhbx Posts: 13
    Options
    Are you experiencing knee pain or discomfort? If the answer is yes, then it is best to identify why that is. Are you experiencing tendinitis, pain due to mobility issues, or are your movement patterns off? If any of the aforementioned describes you, try to tackle these issues first, otherwise knee sleeves would only be a temporary fix and not a permanent solution for solving the underlying issue. For serious weight trainers who wish to succeed in powerlifting or bodybuilding, building leg strength is an extremely important factor. This kind of training can put significant strain on joints, so Gripped knee wraps can provide that much needed support.