Obese / Achilles tendinitis

Options
Over past few months I’ve really changed my diet and upped exercise (walking, strength training, elliptical every other day and workout videos). I’m doing ok - have lost over a stone but am still very obese.
I have some issues with my left knee but more recently the back of my heel has been hurting. I got new trainers which help during exercise but my whole foot (top not bottom) ankle and especially back of heel is quite sore, particularly Achilles. Worse at night. Same leg as the knee which doesn’t help.

I’m keen not to stop exercising. Any suggestions? I’ve been researching and thinking insoles / ankle support ans stretches? Swimming as if it’s suggested often but I need something I can do in the house as well.

Thanks for any help or if anyone has experience with how to manage this.

Replies

• ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    See a physio and get a proper diagnosis. They will also show you how to strap it properly to support it when you exercise. When I had plantar fascitis I used an exercise bike until it got less painful. Biking is also easy on the knees and other joints.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Work on stretching the most. Especially since most Achilles tendon pain deals first with the plantar tendon being too tight. When mine acts up, I'm using a massage gun, ice, NSAIDS and electro stim.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mikefm101
    mikefm101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Look into custom inserts for your sneakers. Not the Dr Scholls at the drugstore but the kind from a chiropractor or The Good Feet Store. Sports doctors may also offer them.

You stand on a flat bed scanner which scans the soles of your feet. It takes about two weeks for the inserts to be made.

I did it about five years ago and then replaced them three years ago. After two years my knees were better aligned. It made a massive difference to my lifestyle.

Replace every two or three years. I’m overdue I’m sure.

Mike

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend getting an appt with a physical therapist at least in order to pinpoint the cause of the pain. Especially since you are also mentioning knee pain in the same leg. Things tend to be connected/move on in a line (at least in my experience).

As stated above, Achilles pain can be related to tight plantar facia or tight calves (2 muscles down there with different positions to target stretch them). This *could be contributing to your knee pain (although you haven't described your knee pain in detail).

So a combo of strengthening/mobility/stretching is likely what you need. It's possible that just one consult visit with a physical therapist may give you any at home routines you might need to get better with some time.

I personally struggled with knee pain (IT band/outside of knee) due to weakness in my glutes/lower back/hamstrings...I'm fairly sedentary other than running/hiking. I sit all day. As I've improved my strength there, my knee pain has significantly improved/gone away entirely but some pain in my left leg in particular has migrated down my leg to a small area of my upper shin and my achilles has started to bother me (this used to happen a LOT, as I have a little bit of a bone spur on the back of both of my heels which irritates it sometimes especially if I'm on my feet a TON). I have quite high arches. But I know now that my hip/knee mobility is good...but my ankle mobility is trash, lol. I'm sure that's contributing and my calves are almost ALWAYS tight.