What is the best exercise program to support weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Something that you enjoy SO MUCH that you will want to do it every day! Or as close to that as you can get. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, and you can get that by moving more and eating less. But the more you move, the more you can eat while maintaining a deficit. You don't need a program, but if you're like me and love a schedule, by all means get one! Don't rule out the importance of general activity, either. Clean your house often, walk anywhere you can, spend less time sitting and more time moving. Exercising for 30 minutes or even an hour a day is great, but if you're sedentary for the other 23, you're missing out on a great opportunity to burn calories and improve your health.

What she said
  • fangfx
    fangfx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weight training and a little cardio. Weight training ups your muscle mass, which burns calories by just living. Fat doesn't burn calories, it stores calories. So I do some weight training since I'm a woman and can't get very muscular-looking anyways (estrogen essentially kills muscle), and then cardio on the days I don't lift so that I can get a yummy or two in my tummy. I lift 3-4 days per week, currently.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Weight training and a little cardio. Weight training ups your muscle mass, which burns calories by just living. Fat doesn't burn calories, it stores calories. So I do some weight training since I'm a woman and can't get very muscular-looking anyways (estrogen essentially kills muscle), and then cardio on the days I don't lift so that I can get a yummy or two in my tummy. I lift 3-4 days per week, currently.

Just FYI a pound of muscle at rest burns about 6 calories per day. A pound of fat burns 2. Way over-hyped broscience.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

While I completely agree with the spirit of this post, I completely disagree with the "facts" of it.
  • L4GFOREVER
    Options
    The Best Workout program is doing something you enjoy. I love all things sports so its very easy for me.:smile:
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    gotta be something you like enough to stick with. go for what you enjoy. can be as simple as walking. the best is something you can stay with long term that won't cause injury.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    gotta be something you like enough to stick with. go for what you enjoy. can be as simple as walking. the best is something you can stay with long term that won't cause injury.
    ^^^ THIS. And the choir sang AMEN!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I think the best workout program is one that works for you.

I run and strength train three times a week and walk the other four days I feel sluggish if I don't move every single day.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I started to biking and walk very fast on my trade mill. However, besides that, what would be the best program to stick with? My husband does insanity, but I am for some reason not the biggest fan. Any suggestions? Thank you
    Something you enjoy and can keep doing
This discussion has been closed.