Bad food.. Still under calories?

Options
One of the reasons I like MFP is because counting calories still allows me to eat what I want... As long as I'm under my calories for the day. If I'm not not then I know I need to exercise to get back on track. Could this could hurt long term though? Are calories calories, not matter what they are from?

Replies

• bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The only bad food is food that has been allowed to rot. Pay attention to your macros by making sure you get the right amount of protein and fat and then the rest of your calories from carbohydrates. Follow the 80/20 rule. Make sure 80% of your food choices are nutrient dense and the other 20% can be whatever you want. There is no such thing as bad or dirty food.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting all of the nutrients (vitamins, minerals, protein, fat) that you need andnot going over your calories, you'll be fine. 80/20 is not a bad guideline (though not a hard and fast rule) for helping you to get everything you need in a day. Processed foods tend to have fewer nutrients for more calories, so it can be harder to get everything without making a decent part of your diet relatively nutrient-dense. Beyond that, eat what you like.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    it depends on what your long term goals are. If your goals are weight and appearance and general well-being, it's calories in vs calories out.

if you believe that nutrition can have an impact on diseases such as alzheimers, cancer, etc, and can improve your chances of living a longer, fuller life (as I do) then getting proper nutrition is paramount.

if you don't believe the above, as many on these boards don't, then it doesn't matter. :smile:

up to you! just do your research and make your own choices - don't take any of our words for gospel.