First month of calorie counting...slow but steady progress!

Options
6'1", 29-year old male. I started calorie counting on MFP on August 2nd 2022, and now that I'm a little more than a month out, I'm very happy with how things are going. I know I'm not losing at the rate that a lot of other people do, but I'm losing weight while still feeling healthy and alert instead of just feeling like I'm starving. And I've gone from 3-4 mile bike rides in late Spring to 15+ mile rides 3x a week!

ae2gjmtd60ce.png

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race! Way to go!!!
  • BeforeMy70th
    BeforeMy70th Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wait, you lost 20 pounds in a month and you are thinking that is SLOW? That is very fast! Excellent!!
  • lee_tlmn
    lee_tlmn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wait, you lost 20 pounds in a month and you are thinking that is SLOW? That is very fast! Excellent!!

It's slow compared to some people I've seen on here, but everyone goes at their own pace I guess! Thanks for the encouraging words :)
  • waitsdad
    waitsdad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Youth is on your side. I'm 61 years old and I'm losing about 8+ lbs. / mo. for the last 6 months. Slow and steady wins the race. I've yo-yo dieted my whole life and MFP has helped me develop what feels like a sustainable plan I think I can follow for the rest of my life. I'm doing 1700 cals/day and as long as I make smart choices, I don't ever feel hungry. I feel better than I have in years and even though I've lost 50+ lbs., I'm going for another 50 or so. Again, congrats to you and I hope you meet your goal and can sustain it!!
  • Rickimariefit
    Rickimariefit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Trust me slow and steady wins the race! You get no metal for losing weight quicker than the rest. However you could end up with a lot of muscle loss if you excel weight loss too quickly.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    lee_tlmn wrote: »

It's slow compared to some people I've seen on here, but everyone goes at their own pace I guess! Thanks for the encouraging words :)

I don't know who you've been reading on here, but that rate of loss is very fast. I might even say too fast perhaps, since it's often recommended to lose no more than 1% of your bodyweight per week, to reduce the risk of muscle loss and other health risks.
    Anecdotally, fast losses also trend to be associated with short term changes and regain afterwards, as opposed to durable lifestyle changes which take time to create

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just giving you a different perspective on slow versus fast 🙂
  • TicTacToo
    TicTacToo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I guess you'd be building some muscle as your bike riding has expanded too.
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    20 pounds in a month is not slow. Youth and gender are definitely on your side :)
    Those who lose more than that are not very common.

Losing so quickly does have a tendency to result in regain, I know this from past experience.
    Also, losing so quickly could result in loss of muscle mass. Don't forget, your heart is a muscle. Hopefully the cardio that you are doing will help to counteract the loss.

Just a suggestion so that you are aware and make a plan for how to deal with it.

Gee, and to think I'm thrilled when I lose more than 5 pounds per month!

WTG! just be careful please.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!