Are GMOs Safe?

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I think the jury is out on the final answer to your question. Most of the quotes provided in the picture basically say people have been eating GMOs for years (nice lab rats that we are) and we don't see anything bad happening yet -- therefore it must be ok.

Of course we also need to watch the money because it is interesting where a lot of the funding comes from for these studies which find no problems with GMOs. There is also a terrific amount of money spent trying to prevent the labeling of GMO foods -- labels aren't really needed basically anything with corn or soy or any of their derivatives that isn't organic can be presumed to have one or more ingredient that is a GMO. Label the stuff that is GMO free -- it is a much shorter list. I also think its interesting that all of the reasons given for GMOs necessity (hearty crops, resistant to certain things destructive to crops, easier use of pesticides) really haven't proven to hold true in the long term. Essentially I have not see any confirmed studies which can point to great benefits from the use of GMOs-- except for the money generated by the patent holders.

I don't want pesticides on my food.

I don't want growth hormones injected into the foods I eat.

I don't want someone splicing the genes of food with the genes of bacteria or anything else to make them resistant to anything.

I don't think we have all the answers yet and I would prefer to hedge all my bets as much as I can as often as I can. The first generation raised on mostly GMOs are just graduating from high school -- lets give it a little more time before we declare the long term effects of consumption safe.

I don't demand that anyone else refrain from eating GMOs. I don't demand that they cease production. I really don't care what anyone else eats (except for my children) -- I never bring it up. I eat organic foods. If you don't think there is any difference eat whatever you chose to eat. I would never try to convince someone to eat something they didn't want to eat. If all of us organic buying people are just fools who like to waste our money -- what is it to anyone else?

:drinker:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    People have ridiculously simple views of things. "Genetically modified" or "GMO" is treated like it's some industrial process that adds a certain chemical to a crop, or changes it in a specific way.

GMO is an umbrella term for any of an infinite number of ways to change the genes of an organism.

What matters is the specific way the organism is altered. A crop that is genetically altered to make it grow a little faster or bigger is probably fine. A crop that is genetically altered so it's full of arsenic is probably not fine.

QFT.

What I find funny is that no one rants over all the more traditionally cross-bred foods. As if regular old recombination could never, ever result in something harmful. Wonder how all those toxic plants developed over the years without Monsanto's help.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    People have ridiculously simple views of things. "Genetically modified" or "GMO" is treated like it's some industrial process that adds a certain chemical to a crop, or changes it in a specific way.

GMO is an umbrella term for any of an infinite number of ways to change the genes of an organism.

What matters is the specific way the organism is altered. A crop that is genetically altered to make it grow a little faster or bigger is probably fine. A crop that is genetically altered so it's full of arsenic is probably not fine.

QFT.

What I find funny is that no one rants over all the more traditionally cross-bred foods. As if regular old recombination could never, ever result in something harmful. Wonder how all those toxic plants developed over the years without Monsanto's help.

such as?

has hybridization created toxic peas I haven't heard about?
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    Worry more about Monsanto.... they are far more dangerous than any GMO on its own!

Didn't take long for the tinfoil hats to come out

Actually, I'm going to agree with this. GMOs aren't dangerous, but Monsanto are kind of ****s.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Worry more about Monsanto.... they are far more dangerous than any GMO on its own!

Actually, I'm going to agree with this. GMOs aren't dangerous, but Monsanto are kind of ****s.

based on what long-term studies?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

based on what long-term studies?

This contains links to 600 studies, many conducted over a decade:

http://gmopundit.blogspot.com/p/450-published-safety-assessments.html#!/p/450-published-safety-assessments.html

http://rameznaam.com/2013/04/28/the-evidence-on-gmo-safety/
    Contains many good links to sources ^^

"A Scientific Consensus

All together, the scientific consensus around the safety of genetically modified foods is as strong as the scientific consensus around climate change. These foods have been studied more than any other, and everything tells us that they’re safe."

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10977&page=R6

A decade of EU funded studies:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7hhP5QasNtsX1AwV2YzNnlrZTA/edit?usp=drive_web&pli=1
  • magerum
    Options
    Citation
    1 Aalhus, J.L., M.E.R. Dugan, K.A. Lien, I.L. Larsen, F. Costello, D.C. Roland, D.R. Best and R.D. Thacker, 2003, Effects of feeding glyphosate-tolerant canola meal on swine growth, carcass composition and meat quality. Journal of Animal Science, 81:3267
    2 Aeschbacher, K; Messikommer, R; Meile, L; Wenk, C, 2005, Bt176 corn in poultry nutrition: Physiological characteristics and fate of recombinant plant DNA in chickens. British Poultry Science, 84:385-394
    3 Aeschbacher, K., L. Meile, R. Messikommer and C. Wenk, 2002, Influence of genetically modified maize on performance and product quality of chickens. Proceedings of the Society of Nutrition Physiology, 11:196
    4 Aeschbacher, K., L. Meile, R. Messikommer and C. Wenk, 2002, Influence of genetically modified maize on performance and product quality of chickens. Proceedings of the Society of Nutritional Physiology, 11:196
    5 Aeschbacher, K., L. Meile, R. Messikommer and C. Wenk. 2001. Genetically modified maize in diets for chickens and laying hens: influence on performance and product quality. Proceedings: International Symposium on Genetically Modified Crops and Co-products as Feeds for Livestock, pp 41-42, September, Nitra, Slovak Republic.
    6 Aeschbacher, K., R. Messikommer and C. Wenk. 2001. Physiological characteristics of Bt-176 corn in poultry and destiny of recombinant plant DNA in poultry products. Annals of Nutr. And Metab.45(Suppl. 1):376.
    7 Alexander, T.W., R. Sharma, E.K. Okine, W.T. Dixon, R.J. Forster, K. Stanford and T.A. McAllister. 2002. Impact of feed processing and mixed ruminal culture on the fate of recombinant EPSP synthase and endogenous canola plant DNA. FEMS Microbiology Letters 214:263-269.
    8 Alexander, T.W., T. Reuter, E. Okine, R. Sharma, and T.A. McAllister. 2006. Conventional and real-time polymerase chain reaction assessment of the fate of transgenic DNA in sheep fed Roundup Ready rapeseed meal. Br J Nutr 96(6):997-1005.
    9 Alexander, T.W., T. Reuter, K. Aulrich, R. Sharma, E.K. Okine, W.T. Dixon, and T.A. McAllister. 2007. A review of the detection and fate of novel plant molecules derived from biotechnology in livestock production. Animal Feed Science and Technology 133(1-2):31-62.
    10 Alexander, TW; Sharma, R; Deng, MY; Whetsell, AJ; Jennings, JC; Wang, YX; Okine, E; Damgaard, D; McAllister, TA, 2004, Use of quantitative real-time and conventional PCR to assess the stability of the cp4 epsps transgene from Roundup Ready (R) canola in the intestinal, ruminal, and fecal contents of sheep. , Journal of Biotechnology, 112:255-266
    11 Álvarez-Alfageme F, von Burg S, Romeis J, 2011 Infestation of Transgenic Powdery Mildew-Resistant Wheat by Naturally Occurring Insect Herbivores under Different Environmental Conditions. PLoS ONE 6(7): e22690. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0022690
    12 Ames, JM, 2007, Evidence against dietary advanced glycation endproducts being a risk to human health, Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, 51(9):1085-1090
    13 Anilkumar, B; Reddy, A Gopala; Kalakumar, B; Rani, M Usha; Anjaneyulu, Y; Raghunandan, T; Reddy, Y Ramana; Jyothi, K; Gopi, K S, 2010, Sero-biochemical Studies in Sheep Fed with Bt Cotton Plants, Toxicology International, 17(2):99-101
    14 Apgar, G.A. T.A. Guthrie, K.S. Griswold, M.P. Martin, J.S. Radcliffe, and M. D. Lindemann. 2004.Nutritional value of a corn containing a glutamate dehydrogenase gene for growing pigs. J.Anim. Sci. 82(Suppl. 1):456-457. Abstract 912.
    15 Appenzeller, LM; Munley, SM; Hoban, D; Sykes, GP; Malley, LA; Delaney, B, 2008, Subchronic feeding study of herbicide-tolerant soybean DP-356Ø43-5 in Sprague-Dawley rats, Food Chemistry Toxicology, 46(6):2201-2213
    16 Arencibia, A; Gentinetta, E; Cuzzoni, E; Castiglione, S; Kohli, A; Vain, P; Leech, M; Christou, P; Sala, F, 1998, Molecular analysis of the genome of transgenic rice (Oryza sativa L.) plants produced via particle bombardment or intact cell electroporation, Molecular Breeding, 4:99-109
    17 Asanuma, Y; Jinkawa T, Tanaka H, Gondo T, Zaita N, Akashi R. Assays of the production of harmful substances by genetically modified oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.) plants in accordance with regulations for evaluating the impact on biodiversity in Japan. Transgenic Res. 2011 Feb;20(1):91-7.
    18 Ash, J; Novak, C; Scheideler, SE , 2003, The fate of genetically modified protein from Roundup Ready Soybeans in laying hens., Journal of Applied Poultry Research , 12(2):242-245
    19 Ash, J.A., S.E. Scheideler and C.L. Novak. 2000. The Fate of Genetically Modified Protein from Roundup Ready Soybeans in the Laying Hen. Poultry Sci. 79 (Suppl. 1):26. Abstract 111.
    20 Atkinson, H J; Johnston, K A; Robbins, M, 2004, Prima facie evidence that a phytocystatin for transgenic plant resistance to nematodes is not a toxic risk in the human diet, Journal of Nutrition, 134:431–434
    21 Aulrich, K; Bohme, H; Daenicke, R; Halle, I; Flachowsky, G, 2001, Genetically modified feeds in animal nutrition 1st communication: Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) corn in poultry, pig and ruminant nutrition, Archiv für Tierernaehrung (Archives of Animal Nutrition), 54:183-195
    22 Aulrich, K., I. Halle and G. Flachowsky. 1998. Inhaltsstoffe und Verdaulichkeit von Maiskörnen der Sorte Cesar und der gentechnisch veränderten Bt-hybride bei Legenhennen. Proc Einfluss von Erzeugung und Verarbeitung auf die Qualität laudwirtschaftlicher Produkte (VDLUFA) Kongreband 1998 110. VDLUFA-Kongre. 14.-18.09.1998. Gieen, 465-468. Gieen, Deutchland.
    23 Aumaitre, A; Aulrich, K; Chesson, A; Flachowsky, G; Piva, G, 2002, New feeds from genetically modified plants: substantial equivalence, nutritional equivalence, digestibility, and safety for animals and the food chain, Livestock Production Science, 74(3):223-38
    24 Bakan, B; Melcion, D; Richard-Molard, D; Cahagnier, B, 2000, Fungal growth and Fusarium mycotoxin content in isogenic traditional maize and genetically modified maize grown in France and Spain, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 50(4):728–731
    25 Baker, J M; Hawkins, N D; Ward, J L; Lovegrove, A; Napier, J A; Shewry, P R; Beale, M H, 2006, A metabolomic study of substantial equivalence of field-grown genetically modified wheat, Plant Biotechnology Journal, 4(4):381
    26 Bakke-McKellep AM, M. Sanden, A. Danieli, R. Acierno, G-I Hemre, M. Maffia, and Å Krogdahl. 2008. Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) parr fed genetically modified soybeans and maize: histological, digestive, metabolic, and immunological investigations. Research in Veterinary Science 84, 395-408.
    27 Bakke-McKellep, A.M., E.O. Koppang, G. Gunnes, M. Sanden, G-I. Hemre, T. Landsverk, and A. Krogdahl. 2007. Histological, digestive, metabolic, hormonal and some immune factor responses in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., fed genetically modified soybeans. J of Fish Diseases 30:65-79.
    28 Barriere, Y; Verite, R; Brunschwig, P; Surault, F; Emile, J C, 2001, Feeding value of corn silage estimated with sheep and dairy cows is not altered by genetic incorporation of Bt176 resistance to Ostrinia nubilalis, Journal of Dairy Science, 84:1863-1871
    29 Barrière, Y., R.Vérité, P. Brunschwig, F. Surault, and J.C. Emile. 2001. Feeding value of silage maize estimated with sheep and dairy cows is not altered by genetic incorporation of Bt 176 resistance to Ostrinia nubilalis. J. Dairy Sci. 84:1863-1871.
    30 Barros, E; Lezar, S; Anttonen, M J; van Dijk, J P; Röhlig, R M; Kok, E J; Engel, K-H , 2010, Comparison of two GM maize varieties with a near isogenic non-GM variety using transcriptomics, proteomics and metabolomics, Plant Biotechnology Journal, 8(4):436-451
    31 Barros, G; Magnoli, C; Reynoso, M M; Ramirez, M L; Farnochi, M C; Torres, A; Dalcero, A; Sequeira, J; Rubinstein, C; Chulze, S, 2009, Fungal and mycotoxin contamination in Bt maize and non-Bt maize grown in Argentina, World Mycotoxin Journal, 2(1):53-60
    32 Batista, R; Martins, I; Jeno, P; Ricardo, C P; Oliveira, M M, 2007, A proteomic study to identify soya allergens--the human response to transgenic versus non-transgenic soya samples, International Archives of Allergy and Immunology, 144(1):29-38
    33 Batista, R; Nunes, B; Carmo, M; Cardoso, C, 2005, Lack of detectable allergenicity of transgenic maize and soya samples, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 116(2):403–410
    34 Batista, Rita; Saibo, Nelson; Lourenço, Tiago; Oliveira, Maria Margarida, 2008, Microarray analyses reveal that plant mutagenesis may induce more transcriptomic changes than transgene insertion., PNAS, 105(9):3640-5
    35 Baudo, María Marcela; Lyons, Rebecca; Powers, Stephen; Pastori, Gabriela M; Edwards, Keith J; Holdsworth, Michael J; Shewry, Peter R, 2006, Transgenesis has less impact on the transcriptome of wheat grain than conventional breeding., Plant Biotechnology Journal, 4(4):369-80
    36 Beagle, J.M., G.A. Apgar, K.L. Jones, K.E. Griswold, J.S. Radcliffe, X. Qiu, D.A. Lightfoot, and M.J. Iqbal. 2006. The digestive fate of Escherichia coli glutamate dehydrogenase deoxyribonucleic acid from transgenic corn in diets fed to weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 84:597-607.
    37 Beagle, J.M., G.A. Apgar, K.L. Jones, K.E. Griswold, X. Qiu, and M.P. Martin. 2004. The digestive fate of the gdh A transgene in corn diets fed to weanling swine. J. Anim. Sci. 82(Suppl. 1):457. Abstract 913.
    38 Beever, D.E., K. Glenn, and R.H. Phipps. 2003. A safety evaluation of genetically modified feedstuffs for livestock production; the fate of transgenic DNA and proteins. Asia-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(5):764-772.
    39 Benedict J; Fromme, D; Cosper, J; Correa, C; Odvody, G; Parker, R, 1998, Efficacy of Bt Corn Events MON810, Bt11 and E176 in Controlling Corn Earworm, Fall Armyworm, Sugarcane Borer and Aflatoxin, ,
    40 Berberich, S A; Ream, J E; Jackson, T L; Wood, R; Stipanovic, R; Harvey, P; Patzer, S; Fuchs, R L , 1996, The composition of insect-protected cottonseed is equivalent to that of conventional cottonseed, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 44(1):365–371
    41 Berger, L.L., N.D. Robbins and E.P. Stanisiewski. 2002. Effect of feeding diets containing corn grain with Roundup (event GA21 or NK603), control, or conventional varieties on steer feedlot performance and carcass characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 80(Suppl. 1):270. Abstract 1080.
    42 Berger, L.L., N.D. Robbins, J.R. Sewell, E.P. Stanisiewski, and G.F. Hartnell. 2003. Effect of feeding diets containing corn grain with corn rootworm protection (event MON863), control, or conventional varieties on steer feedlot performance and carcass characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 81(Suppl. 1):214. Abstract M150.
    43 Betz F S, Hammond B G , Fuchs R L, 2000, Safety and advantages of Bacillus thuringiensis-protected plants to control insect pests., Regul. Toxicol. Pharmacol., 32(2):156-173
    44 Bohme H, Aulrich K, Daenicke R, Flachowsky G, 2001, Genetically modified feeds in animal nutrition 2nd communication: Glufosinate tolerant sugar beets (roots and silage) and maize grains for ruminants and pigs, Archives of Animal Nutrition, 54(3):197-207
    45 Böhme H, Rudloff E, Schöne F, Schumann W, Hüther L, Flachowsky G. 2007. Nutritional assessment of genetically modified rapeseed synthesizing high amounts of mid-chain fatty acids including production responses of growing-finishing pigs.Archives of animal nutrition 61(4):308-16. 2007.
    46 Böhme, H. and K. Aulrich. 1999. Inhaltsstoffe und Verdaulichkeit von transgenen Zuckerrben bzw. Krnermais im Vergleich zu den isogenen Sorten beim Schwein. (Ingredients and digestibility of transgenic sugar beets and corn in comparision to the isogenic varieties in the case of pigs). VDLUFA Conference Proceedings 1999, 111th VDLUFA Conference, 13-17 September 1999, Halle/Saale, pp. 289-292.
    47 Böhme, H., B. Hommel, and G. Flachowsky. 2005. Nutritional assessment of silage from transgenic inulin synthesizing potatoes for pigs. J Animal and Feed Sci. 14(Suppl. 1):333-336.
    48 Bondzio, A., Stumpff, F., Schoen, J., Martens, H., Einspanier, R., (2008) Impact of Bacillus thuringiensis Toxin Cry1Ab on rumen epithelial cells (REC) - a new in vitro model for safety assessment of recombinant food compounds, Food and Chemical Toxicology (2008), doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2008.01.038
    49 Borejsza-Wysocka, Ewa; Norelli, John L; Aldwinckle, Herb S; Malnoy, Mickael, 2010, Stable expression and phenotypic impact of attacin E transgene in orchard grown apple trees over a 12 year period, BMC Biotechnology, 10:41
    50 Brake DG, Evenson DP 2004 A generational study of glyphosate-tolerant soybeans on mouse fetal, postnatal, pubertal and adult testicular development. Food Chem Toxicol. 42:29-36.
    51 Brake DG, Thaler R, Evenson DP. 2004. Evaluation of Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) corn on mouse testicular development by dual parameter flow cytometry. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 52(7):2097-2102.
    52 Brake, Denise G; Evenson, Donald P, 2004, A generational study of glyphosate-tolerant soybeans on mouse fetal, postnatal, pubertal and adult testicular development., Food and Chemical Toxicology, 42(1):29-36
    53 Brake, J; Faust, M A; Stein, J, 2003, Evaluation of transgenic event Bt11 hybrid corn in broiler chickens., Poultry Science, 82(4):551-9
    54 Brake, J; Faust, M; Stein, J, 2005, Evaluation of transgenic hybrid corn (VIP3A) in broiler chickens., Poultry Science, 84(3):503-12
    55 Brake, J; Vlachos, D, 1998, Evaluation of transgenic event 176 "Bt" corn in broiler chickens., Poultry Science, 77(5):648-53
    56 Bressner, G. E., Y. Hyun, E. P. Stanisiewski, G. F. Hartnell and M. Ellis. 2003. Performance comparison of growing-finishing pigs fed diets containing Corn Root Worm Protected corn (Event MON 863) or conventional corn hybrids. J. Anim. Sci. 81(Suppl. 1):207. Abstract M119.
    57 Bressner, G., Y. Hyun, E. Stanisiewski, G. Hartnell and M. Ellis. 2002. A comparison of swine performance when fed diets containing Roundup Ready (event NK603) or conventional corn lines. J. Anim. Sci. 80(Suppl. 2):63. Abstract 128.
    58 Brewster, D W; Warren, J; Hopkins, W E, 1991, Metabolism of glyphosate in Sprague-Dawley rats: tissue distribution, identification, and quantitation of glyphosate-derived materials following a single oral dose., Fundamental and Applied Toxicology, 17(1):43-51
    59 Broll H, Zagon J, Butschke A, Leffke A, Spiegelberg A, Bohme H, Flachowsky G (2005) The fate of DNA of transgenic inulin synthesizing potatoes in pigs. Journal of Animal and Feed Sciences 14:337-340
    60 Brouk, M., B. Cvetkovic, D. Rice, B. Smith, M. Hinds, F. Owens, and T. Sauber. 2008. Performance of lactating dairy cows fed corn as whole plant silage and grain produced from a genetically modified event DAS-59122-7 or a nontransgenic, near isoline control. J Anim. Sci, (Sectional Meeting Abstracts) 86(e-Suppl. 3):89 Abstract 276.
    61 Brown PB, Wilson KA, Jonker Y, Nickson TE. 2003 Glyphosate tolerant canola meal is equivalent to the parental line in diets fed to rainbow trout. J Agric Food Chem. 51:4268-72.
    62 Brown, N M; Setchell, K D, 2001, Animal models impacted by phytoestrogens in commercial chow: implications for pathways influenced by hormones., Laboratory Investigation, 81(5):735-47
    63 Brown, Paul B; Wilson, Keith A; Jonker, Yolanda; Nickson, Thomas E, 2003, Glyphosate tolerant canola meal is equivalent to the parental line in diets fed to rainbow trout., Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 51(15):4268-72
    64 Bub A, Möseneder J, Wenzel G, Rechkemmer G, Briviba K. 2008. Zeaxanthin is bioavailable from genetically modified zeaxanthin-rich potatoes. European journal of nutrition 47(2):99-103.
    65 Cahagnier B and Melcion D, Mycotoxines de Fusarium dans les mais-grains `a la re´colte: relation entre la pr´esence d’insectes (pyrale, s´esamie) et la teneur en mycotoxines, in Food Safety: Current Situation and Perspectives in the European Community, Proc 6th International Feed Production Conf, ed by Piva G and Masoero F, pp 237–249 (2000). Cited by Cleveland et al. 2003
    66 Caine, W.R., J.L. Aalhus, M.E.R. Dugan, K.A. Lien, I.L. Larsen, F. Costello, T.A. McAllister, K. Stanford, and R. Sharma. 2007. Growth performance, carcass characteristics and pork quality of pigs fed diets containing meal from conventional or glyphosate-tolerant canola. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 87:517-526.
    67 Calsamiglia, S., B. Hernandez, G.F. Hartnell, and R. Phipps. 2007. Effects of corn silage derived from a genetically modified variety containing two transgenes on feed intake, milk production, and composition, and the absence of detectable transgenic deoxyribonucleic acid in milk in Holstein dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 90: 4718-4723.
    68 Calsamiglia, S., B. Hernandez, G.F. Hartnell, and R.H. Phipps. 2003. Effects of feeding corn silage produced from corn containing MON810 and GA21 genes on feed intake, milk production and composition in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 86(Suppl. 1):62. Abstract 247.
    69 Cao, Sishuo ; Wentao Xu, YunBo Luo, Xiaoyun He, Yanfang Yuan, Wenjun Ran, Lixing Lianga and Kunlun Huang.Metabonomics study of transgenic Bacillus thuringiensis rice (T2A-1) meal in a 90-day dietary toxicity study in rats. Mol. BioSyst., 2011, DOI: 10.1039/C1MB05076A (May 19, 2011)
    70 Castillo, A R; Gallardo, M R; Maciel, M; Giordano, J M; Conti, G A; Gaggiotti, M C; Quaino, O; Gianni, C; Hartnell, G F, 2004, Effects of feeding rations with genetically modified whole cottonseed to lactating Holstein cows., Journal of Dairy Science, 87(6):1778-85
    71 Castillo, A.R., M.R. Gallardo, M. Maciel, J. M. Giordano, G.A.Conti, M.C. Gaggiotti, O. Quaino, C. Gianni, and G.F. Hartnell. 2004. Effects of feeding rations with genetically modified whole cottonseed to lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 87:1778-1785.
    72 Castillo, A.R., M.R. Gallardo, M. Maciel, J.M. Giordano, G.A. Conti, M.C. Gaggiotti, O. Quaino, C. Giani, and G.F. Hartnell. 2001. Effect of feeding dairy cows with cottonseeds containing BollGard® and Roundup Ready® genes or control non-transgenic cottonseeds on feed intake, milk yield and milk composition. J. Dairy Sci. 84(Suppl. 1)413. Abstract 1713.
    73 Castillo, A.R., M.R. Gallardo, M. Maciel, J.M. Giordano, G.A. Conti, M.C. Gaggiotti, O. Quaino, C. Gianni, and G.F. Hartnell. 2001. Effect of feeding dairy cows with either BollGard®, BollGard II®, Roundup Ready® or control cottonseeds on feed intake, milk yield and milk composition. J. Dairy Sci. 84(Suppl. 1)413. Abstract 1712.
    74 Catchpole, Gareth S; Beckmann, Manfred; Enot, David P; Mondhe, Madhav; Zywicki, Britta; Taylor, Janet; Hardy, Nigel; Smith, Aileen; King, Ross D; Kell, Douglas B; Fiehn, Oliver; Draper, John, 2005, Hierarchical metabolomics demonstrates substantial compositional similarity between genetically modified and conventional potato crops., PNAS, 102(40):14458-62
    75 Cattaneo, Manda G; Yafuso, Christine; Schmidt, Chris; Huang, Cho-ying; Rahman, Magfurar; Olson, Carl; Ellers-Kirk, Christa; Orr, Barron J; Marsh, Stuart E; Antilla, Larry; Dutilleul, Pierre; Carrière, Yves, 2006, Farm-scale evaluation of the impacts of transgenic cotton on biodiversity, pesticide use, and yield., PNAS, 103(20):7571-6
    76 Chainark, P., S. Satoh, I. Hirono, T. Aoki, and M. Endo. 2008. Availability of genetically modified feed ingredient: investigations of ingested foreign DNA in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss. Fisheries science 74:380-390.
    77 Chainark, P., S. Satoh, T. Hino, V. Kiron, I. Hirono, and T. Aoki. 2006. Availability of genetically modified soybean meal in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss diets. Fisheries Science 72:1072-1078.
    78 Chambers, Philip A; Duggan, Paula S; Heritage, John; Forbes, J Michael, 2002, The fate of antibiotic resistance marker genes in transgenic plant feed material fed to chickens., Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 49(1):161-4
    79 Chansawang, S., C. Banchasak, T. Khawnsod, T. Anantachaiyong and T. Poolsawat. 2003. Effect of Roundup Ready Corn NK603 on Growth Performance of Female Broiler Chickens under Greenhouse Conditions. Proceeding of The Sixth National Plant Protection Conference. 24th - 27th Nov 2003, p131, Abstract.
    80 Chansawang, S., S. Tubchareon, C. Banchasak, T. Khawnsod, K. Saardrak, T. Anantachaiyong, and T. Poolsawat. 2003. Effect of Roundup Ready Corn NK603 on Animals: Chicken and Rat that Feeding under Greenhouse Conditions. Proceeding of BioThailand 2003. 17th - 19th July 2003, p142, Abstract.
    81 Cheeke TE, Rosenstiel TN, Cruzan MB. Evidence of Reduced Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungal Colonization in Multiple Lines of Bt Maize. Am. J. Bot. April 2012 vol. 99 no. 4 700-707. doi: 10.3732/ajb.1100529
    82 Chelsea, S., et al. Assessment of the health impact of GM plant diets in long-term and multigenerational animal feeding trials: A literature review. Food Chem. Toxicol. (2011), doi:10.1016/j.fct.2011.11.048
    83 Chen X, Zhuo Q, Piao J, Yang X. 2004 [Immunotoxicologic assessment of transgenetic rice][Article in Chinese]. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 33:77-80.
    84 Chen ZL, Gu H, Li Y, Su Y, Wu P, Jiang Z, Ming X, Tian J, Pan N, Qu LJ. 2003 Safety assessment for genetically modified sweet pepper and tomato. Toxicology. 188:297-307.
    85 Chen, Xiaoping; Zhuo, Qin; Piao, Jianhua; Yang, Xiaoguang, 2004, Immunotoxicologic assessment of transgenetic rice., Wei sheng yan jiu (Journal of Hygiene Research), 33(1):77-80
    86 Chen, Zhang-Liang; Gu, Hongya; Li, Yi; Su, Yilan; Wu, Ping; Jiang, Zhicheng; Ming, Xiaotian; Tian, Jinhua; Pan, Naisui; Qu, Li-Jia, 2003, Safety assessment for genetically modified sweet pepper and tomato., Toxicology, 188:297-307
    87 Cheng, K C; Beaulieu, J; Iquira, E; Belzile, F J; Fortin, M G; Strömvik, M V, 2008, Effect of transgenes on global gene expression in soybean is within the natural range of variation of conventional cultivars., Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 56(9):3057-67
    88 Chesson A, Flachowsky G (2003) Transgenic plants in poultry nutrition. Worlds Poultry Science Journal 59:201-207
    89 Chowdhury EH, Shimada N, Murata H, Mikami O, Sultana P, Miyazaki S, Yoshioka M, Yamanaka N, Hirai N, Nakajima Y.(2003). Detection of Cry1Ab protein in gastrointestinal contents but not visceral organs of genetically modified Bt11-fed calves. Vet Hum Toxicol. 2003 Mar;45(2):72-5.
    90 Chowdhury, E H, EH; Kuribara, H, H; Hino, A, A; Sultana, P, P; Mikami, O, O; Shimada, N, N; Guruge, K S, KS; Saito, M, M; Nakajima, Y, Y, 2003, Detection of corn intrinsic and recombinant DNA fragments and Cry1Ab protein in the gastrointestinal contents of pigs fed genetically modified corn Bt11., Journal of Animal Science, 81(10):2546-51
    91 Chowdhury, Emdadull H, EH; Mikami, Osamu, O; Murata, Hideo, H; Sultana, Parvin, P; Shimada, Nobuaki, N; Yoshioka, Miyako, M; Guruge, Keerthi S, KS; Yamamoto, Sachiko, S; Miyazaki, Shigeru, S; Yamanaka, Noriko, N; Nakajima, Yasuyuki, Y, 2004, Fate of maize intrinsic and recombinant genes in calves fed genetically modified maize Bt11., Journal of Food Protection, 67(2):365-70
    92 Chrastinová, L'., A. Sommer, J. Rafay, R. Caniga, and M. Prostredná. 2002. Genetically modified maize in diets for rabbits - influence on performance and product quality. Proc. Soc. Nutr. Physiol. 11:195.
    93 Chrenkova M, Sommer A, Ceresnakova Z, Nitrayova S, Prostredna M. 2002 Nutritional evaluation of genetically modified maize corn performed on rats. Arch Tierernahr. 56:229-35.
    94 Chrenková, M., L. Chrastinová, Z. Ceresnáková, J. Rafay, G. Flachowsky, and S. Mihina. 2007.Assessment of nutritive value of Bt-maize using rats and rabbits. Book of abstracts of the 58th annual meeting of the European Association for Animal Production, Dublin, Ireland 26-29 August 2007 No. 13, p. 178. (ISBN 978-90-8686-045-6).
    95 Chrenková, M., Z. Čerešňáková, A. Sommer, Z. Ulrichová, and R. Žitňan. 2002. In sacco nutrient degradability of RR maize corn. Proc. Soc. Nutr. Physiol. 11:194.
    96 Chrenková, Mária, M; Sommer, A, A; Ceresnáková, Zuzana, Z; Nitrayová, Sona, S; Prostredná, Miroslava, M, 2002, Nutritional evaluation of genetically modified maize corn performed on rats., Archiv für Tierernaehrung (Archives of Animal Nutrition), 56(3):229-35
    97 Chung B-N and others (2007). Stability of recombinant plant viruses containing genes of unrelated plant viruses. Journal of General Virology 88:1347-1355.
    98 Clark, J.H. and I.R. Ipharraguerre. 2004. Biotechnology crops as feeds for livestock. Pages 177 – 198 in Chapter 12 in Agricultural Biotechnology Challenges and Prospects, M.K. Balgat, W. P. Ridley, A.S. Felsot, and J.N. Seiber, editors, American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C.
    99 Cleveland, Thomas E, Patrick F Dowd, Anne E Desjardins, Deepak Bhatnagar, Peter J Cotty (2003). United States Department of Agriculture - Agricultural Research Service research on pre-harvest prevention of mycotoxins and mycotoxigenic fungi in US crops, Pest Management Science Volume 59, Issue 6-7 , Pages 629 - 642
    100 Coll A, Nadal A, Collado R, Capellades G, Kubista M, Messeguer J, Pla M. Natural variation explains most transcriptomic changes among maize plants of MON810 and comparable non-GM varieties subjected to two N-fertilization farming practices.Plant Mol Biol. 2010 Jun;73(3):349-62. Epub 2010 Mar 27.

ETA: I wont post the other 500, you can find them here:
    http://www.biofortified.org/genera/studies-for-genera/
  • donnahague58
    Options
    Yes Genetically Modified Organism's are safe. If it wasn't for GMO's we would run out of food. My husband is a third generation farmer and I have asked him about what GMO's are. It's a seed that has been altered with a weed to help it grow and survive in different types of climates. The weeds, such as a mustard seed, is put in the corn seed. That's just an example of what a GMO is. So please don't be afraid of hearing GMO. As for Monsanto, they are just a company that produce's the seeds and they are not the only ones. My husband said he doesn't like or dislike them. Hope this is helpful. :)
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Yes Genetically Modified Organism's are safe. If it wasn't for GMO's we would run out of food. My husband is a third generation farmer and I have asked him about what GMO's are. It's a seed that has been altered with a weed to help it grow and survive in different types of climates. The weeds, such as a mustard seed, is put in the corn seed. That's just an example of what a GMO is. So please don't be afraid of hearing GMO. As for Monsanto, they are just a company that produce's the seeds and they are not the only ones. My husband said he doesn't like or dislike them. Hope this is helpful. :)

Interesting. I take it your husband did not participate in this survey. :wink:

Monsanto Named 2013's 'Most Evil Corporation' In New Poll

It's official: Monsanto Company (NYSE:MON) has been deemed the "most evil corporation" of 2013 in a new poll that has the biotech giant beating out rivals like McDonald's and the Federal Reserve by a wide margin.

http://www.ibtimes.com/monsanto-named-2013s-most-evil-corporation-new-poll-1300217
  • magerum
    Options

It's official: Monsanto Company (NYSE:MON) has been deemed the "most evil corporation" of 2013 in a new poll that has the biotech giant beating out rivals like McDonald's and the Federal Reserve by a wide margin.

http://www.ibtimes.com/monsanto-named-2013s-most-evil-corporation-new-poll-1300217

tumblr_m4loarGOQ41qii6tmo1_500.gif
  • kuroi19
    kuroi19 Posts: 45
    Options
    The world is starving. Bigger, more plentiful and less prone to spoil food is probably the way to go, even if it was actually bad for us.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

haha. Great info! Thanks for posting all those links Magerum!

And also...I could've sworn someone said they weren't going to argue like before...
  • bincorvati
    Options
    What I find remarkable is this: American households now spend less than half of what they spent on food thirty years ago (as a percentage of income) but they spend twice as much on medical care.

We spend less on food today because processed foods are cheap. We spend less on food today because companies like Monsanto have developed ways to get as much per square inch as possible. We can celebrate progress, or we can ask if it's worth the higher price we pay eventually/

Autism, Cancer, Autoimmune Disease - the rates continue to rise. Why?

I'm opting for simple, fresh, organic. I am mindful of what I eat and I look at the preparation of my meals as being the ultimate in self-care. I don't want to lose the freedom to do this, and I fear companies like Monsanto will take over and there will be nothing left for the small farmer to work with.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

I totally see the resemblance. :happy:
  • magerum
    Options
    What I find remarkable is this: American households now spend less than half of what they spent on food thirty years ago (as a percentage of income) but they spend twice as much on medical care.

We spend less on food today because processed foods are cheap. We spend less on food today because companies like Monsanto have developed ways to get as much per square inch as possible. We can celebrate progress, or we can ask if it's worth the higher price we pay eventually/

Autism, Cancer, Autoimmune Disease - the rates continue to rise. Why?

I'm opting for simple, fresh, organic. I am mindful of what I eat and I look at the preparation of my meals as being the ultimate in self-care. I don't want to lose the freedom to do this, and I fear companies like Monsanto will take over and there will be nothing left for the small farmer to work with.

Correlation =/= causation otherwise here's to your organics:

autism_organic_foods.jpg
  • liquidleaves
    Options
    Obviously GMOs are NOT safe. All of Europe and other countries ban the use of genetically modified seeds. And the United States has more obese people than any other place in the world. Why do you think that is? There is something to these seeds that grow our food.. Oh and btw we would NOT run out of food ...you can buy ORGANIC seeds not treated with pesticides or infiltrated with some genetic material. Honestly, who can believe that those seeds are safe?? That is why many people have genetic disorders and our DNA is being messed with. We need to stand together against the EVIL corporations of this world such as Monsanto that controls all of these seeds and get them OUT!!!!!!!
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Obviously GMOs are NOT safe. All of Europe and other countries ban the use of genetically modified seeds. And the United States has more obese people than any other place in the world. Why do you think that is? There is something to these seeds that grow our food.. Oh and btw we would NOT run out of food ...you can buy ORGANIC seeds not treated with pesticides or infiltrated with some genetic material. Honestly, who can believe that those seeds are safe?? That is why many people have genetic disorders and our DNA is being messed with. We need to stand together against the EVIL corporations of this world such as Monsanto that controls all of these seeds and get them OUT!!!!!!!

See, told you. Monsanto is voted most evil corp in america. :tongue:
  • donnahague58
    Options
    My husband and his brother are small farmers. I guess I'm just taking up for the farmers. Trust me, I'm not taking up for Monsanto. :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Didn't you hear that the US isn't the number one fattest country anymore, that title goes to Mexico..... and people are obese in this country because we as a nation got lazy and consume way to much food....