Cereal/milk or Milk/cereal?

Options
We all know why we're here.

I say cereal/milk because cereal, as a generally somewhat-buoyant solid, wants to float.

We're working within the confines of a bowl here, generally, so...

cereal/milk means that the cereal settles, then the milk (as liquid) rushes in to fill gaps and as the initially buoyant pieces want to lift as the milk fills the bowl, the weight of the other solids above them hold them down.

This results in some general lift as the milk fills the bowl but not a ton.

Milk then cereal, you've got that buoyancy working AGAINST you as you pour--the initial layers want to float. Sure, the weight of the pouring cereal is still going to push it down, but some cereals are going to pile quicker and suddenly you're at risk of a bowl-breach-event, or BBE. Additionally, pushing cereal down with a spoon to get it under the milk for optimum coverage (if that's what you're after, anyway) may have a tendency to crush the cereal, which opens the door for cereal-sludge. I will say though, in fairness to milk-firsts, this method doesn't have to worry about milk-breach-events, or MBE's.

Anyway, put on your asbestos pants and this is the spot to spill all of our strong feelings on this subject.

But at least we're not spilling the cereal or the milk.

Replies

• ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    well we both know my favorite analogy would get me banned so
  • TwitchyMagee
    TwitchyMagee Posts: 4,579 Member
    Options
    I love when you get wordy
  • piggy_smalls
    piggy_smalls Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Cereal then milk. When the cereal starts to float, stop pouring the milk. There is no other acceptable method.
  • R3d_butt3rfly_
    R3d_butt3rfly_ Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    This has potential to change my mind. I'm open minded to change and to admit when I'm wrong. I'm not there yet but I'm bookmarking this thread.
  • Reckoner67_again
    Reckoner67_again Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This has potential to change my mind. I'm open minded to change and to admit when I'm wrong. I'm not there yet but I'm bookmarking this thread.

I was thinking—after making this post—that I wanted to make sure you didn’t feel TARGETED. You just said you didn’t have strong feelings one way or another and I totally respect that. Not targeting you by any means :)

It just seems like we have some strong opinions on the matter as a community…!
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options

I was thinking—after making this post—that I wanted to make sure you didn’t feel TARGETED. You just said you didn’t have strong feelings one way or another and I totally respect that. Not targeting you by any means :)

you’re such a non partisan banana ♥️

• Reckoner67_again
    Options

you’re such a non partisan banana ♥️

Something new for my tombstone!

• cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    Cereal first - cuz science
  • R3d_butt3rfly_
    R3d_butt3rfly_ Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

I didn't take it that way at all. I found it amusing tbh and I love that you did a whole thread on this subject because people not just here) have a very strong opinion about it like you said. Kinda like microwaving your cold coffee- total sin. Amiright?!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Throw the cereal away. Drink the milk straight from the carton. Problem disappears.
  • TwitchyMagee
    TwitchyMagee Posts: 4,579 Member
    Options
    Throw the cereal away. Drink the milk straight from the carton. Problem disappears.

I used to like to put a handful of cereal in my mouth and wash it down with a swig of milk.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    This thread gives me life.

Can we do the toilet paper roll next?
  • Reckoner67_again
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    This thread gives me life.

Can we do the toilet paper roll next?

Unless someone beats me to it, maybe next week--too much excitement all at once might not be good for the heart, etc
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,044 Member
    Options
    I’m almost positive if you pour the milk first you might hold a pillow over my face as I sleep. So…yeah, cereal/milk. Don’t be a maniac.
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Cereal first. There is absolutely no debate.
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I like that there's no milk first people in the mfg gang. Although I have never tried it I would suppose it keeps the cereal more crispy longer?
    I like to pour my cereal then push it to one side a bit, pour the milk avoiding as much cereal as possible. Then I eat it from the bottom up optimizing fresh crunch.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Dry cereal eater here. So... cereal in a bowl. Milk in a glass at a different meal. :D
  • Librarylizard2009
    Librarylizard2009 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    All the milk/cereal people are hiding cuz if they say something they know they are going to be attacked :D
  • RiaChasingGoals
    RiaChasingGoals Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How about cereal, no milk. I like crunch, as soon as milk touches cereal, it starts to get soggy. Yuck
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely also a box/bag/pre portioned baggie dry cereal kinda girl.
    Actually, except for oatmeal made with water, that's pretty much exclusively how I eat it.