From 288 to 169 seeing the pic really helps me to keep going

Replies

• BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    You have also changed from a caterpillar to a butterfly!!! You've done remarkable!! Brrr on the temps, but yeah I live in Maine (US on the Atlantic Ocean, as far as you can be for a state, so it gets quite cold. Like many northern areas). We'll hit our goals because we are determined. I d wish it weren't do difficult for you as it is. I enjoy walking, it hurts my feet so badly, but I enjoy it.
    Thank you for your encouragement! The last time I saw my endocrinologist, he said I had done better than most people who had bariatric surgery. I am not sure he was really serious about that, but I took it as an encouragement. Anyway, however slow my weight loss is, I'll get to my goal weight, whatever that actually is.

I am planning on having a DXA scan or two relatively soon to help me determine how far I can and should go. After all, there is no need to overshoot the goal and get in trouble. Trouble comes eagerly enough on its own. No need to invite it. Since weight loss is essentially an attempt to deprive the body of the energy it needs to encourage it to consume its own stores, logic dictates there is going to be a price to be paid for it, but I'd rather keep that price as low as possible and make sure the benefits outweigh the costs.

Once I get to my goal I intend to publish a before-and-after as well because I think it can be encouraging for some people to see that a sixty year old can lose weight just like anyone else, despite what is sometimes falsely suggested.

I hope your breathing test went well. Keep up the good work!

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    You’re AMAZING 🤩 Maintenance is the real challenge and you can do it!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 11,731 Member
    edited October 2022
    @BartBVanBockstaele ,,, I am curious LOL. How does a DXA scan help with weight loss? I had one a bit back,,, I am in my early 60s, but my T score is -4.3 (comparable to an unhealthy 85 year old woman). I am still waiting and waiting to see a Dr about what I can do to help my bones, but I FLATLY refuse any of their medication. I had done reclasp (osteoporosis med) years ago, and have a weird reaction (Though it makes sense!! It's caused some of my other bones to be to thick, my jaw bone can disintegrate. AND I ADORE EATING though I eat less! LOL). You've done remarkable!! Very much so!! I know 4 people who have had the surgery. Two of them it wasn't successful, one of them lied so much about her wanting to stay by the diet, but that was years ago, they now are so much more careful about who they'll offer it to. That shows your strength right there!! CONGRATS!!! I say age has little if anything to do with determination, sure it's not quite as easy, but it's still doable!! I just do not set my goals as high to lose X amount a year as someone in their 30s.
    @Linia,,, Awww hey TY TY TY TY!!! Maintenance is quite a challenge!!! As I get closer and closer to it, I'll play around with food, exercise and see if I can work on it along the way. Most who come back to MFP after hitting goal, also stop tracking their food and or exercising. I'll keep those up!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    How does a DXA scan help with weight loss?
    It doesn't. Whether you have one or not, it does nothing for weight loss. That said, I see it the same way I look at height and weight. It's nice to know. The reason I am contemplating it is to have a reasonable estimate of where I am and how far I could go without hurting myself and how far I should go in order to no longer hurt myself. After all, weight hurts when there is too much, but it also hurts when there is not enough.
    FLATLY refuse any of their medication. I had done reclasp (osteoporosis med) years ago, and have a weird reaction (Though it makes sense!! It's caused some of my other bones to be to thick, my jaw bone can disintegrate.
    That is obviously your right as a patient. Regardless of what we do, there doesn't seem to be much advantage to doing something that is more detrimental than beneficial.
    That said, a less-than-ideal therapy can still be better than nothing, even if it is unpleasant. The best thing you can do is talk to your doctor, really have an in-dept talk. Make sure to be brutally honest with your doctor. I was raised to lie to my doctors and it was remarkably hard to break that habit. The result is that I am now finally actually benefiting from what they do and recommend. That should not come as a surprise, and it doesn't, but I surely am happy about it.
    I know 4 people who have had the surgery.
    The main problem with the surgery, in my view, is that despite the fact people learn a lot before they get it, they only half-heartedly take the advice on board and really think it is going to solve all their problems. It will solve some of them, but it will also add others and it is essentially having someone cut you open or poking a hole in you and rowing in your intestines and playing with knives in there for a while. Such things can be necessary, for example when the alternative is guaranteed lifelong disability or death, but the consequences remain nevertheless serious, life altering and lifelong. If there are no genuine medical reasons for it, the wise thing is to stay away, because it can never be undone.

Thank you for the compliments but I don't feel them as deserved. Once the pain-nausea-vomiting problem was solved, it was just a matter of not giving in to hunger and temptation. My doctor said "it's just willpower". Maybe so or maybe my history made it easier to endure unpleasantness, I don't know. All I can say is that despite the unpleasantness caused by the permanent hunger, it was far from the hardest thing I have ever done.

That said, I agree that maintenance is the hardest part. The weight loss phase is finite, but the maintenance phase is one that lasts until death. That may be less difficult if you have reliable hunger cues. I don't. I am always hungry. As a consequence, careful portion control and calorie tracking is essentially something I will have to do until I snuff it. It is not exactly excruciating, but it does make me less free than I would really like. But OK, if that is the price to pay, I'll gadly pay it.

Success on the remainder of your journey!

• skinniesomeday
    skinniesomeday Posts: 13 Member
    Congratulations on making yourself a priority! our health should be !! you look fantastic. Ive restarted again in August trying to make myself healthier by what I put into my body. I hope to be in onderland somtime next year , its been decades !!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited October 2022
    I hope to be in onderland somtime next year , its been decades !!
    Keep it up. As Dianedoessmiles1 demonstrates, significant weight loss is possible. Despite popular claims that are floating around, everyone can lose fat weight. There are no exceptions. Yes, some things may make it a bit harder for some than for others, but ultimately, all that can possibly do, is slowing you down a bit. If you are losing now, you are on the right track. Continue doing it, and you will eventually arrive at your destination. Just keep in mind to periodically reassess your intake to adjust for lower energy requirements as you lose weight. There is really no more to it than that.

• Dianedoessmiles1
    edited October 2022
    @BartBVanBockstaele ,, I am so sorry you where taught to not tell the truth to Drs. Amazing how bad stuff from our childhood can still knock us around quite a bit. Bart you've done so well!! Your mind set is right where it should be. I do think what you've done, are doing is very remarkable. Are you perfect? If you were, LOL The rest of us would want to know that secret!! We all daily do things, say things we wish we'd not done. But, you are doing what you can to extend your life in a way that's as healthy as it can be. i can quite imagine if you had not, your situation would be quite dire, if you were even here. So yes, CONGRATS INDEED!! I love our team motto: Progress Not Perfection.

@skinniesomeday ,, Awwww TY TY TY!! What are some of your long term goals? I have mine on my phone as the home page. This way I see them daily. I used a collage program do it originally then a friend made it into a better picture. Its a reminder to me always why I want this. LOVE THAT GOAL of onderland, what small goals are you using?
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited October 2022
    @Dianedoessmiles1 , you are a source of inspiration!
    And no. I am not even close to perfect. Is anyone? That said, there is only a single way to lose fat weight, and all we have to do is keep caloric intake below our needs to achieve it. So, while it can be hard (and/or dangerous), it is at least very simple. For the rest, all that is needed is patience and weight loss will follow. Time will tell how long it takes me. That, to me, is the only remaining uncertainty.
  • catgirard
    catgirard Posts: 4 Member
    I participated in the 5%.challenges on Spark and enjoyed them along with losing weight. I have been searching to see where the challenge had landed. I recently started using MFP and discovered the community page. I would like to participate in the winter challenge if you have it.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited November 2022
    catgirard wrote: »
    I participated in the 5%.challenges on Spark and enjoyed them along with losing weight. I have been searching to see where the challenge had landed. I recently started using MFP and discovered the community page. I would like to participate in the winter challenge if you have it.
    @Dianedoessmiles1 is involved with a challenge, so she would be well placed to advise you on that.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    edited November 2022
    @BartBVanBockstaele ,, ,Its at the Patience part most become discouraged. You'd make a wonderful motivational speaker! TY TY TY TY Bart for helping @Catgirlard!!! So appreciated.

@Catgirard ,,, ABSOUTELY COME ON BACK!!! Here's the link. We are now almost done with week 5, but anyone can now join at ANY TIME!!

AFTER you join please remember to ask for a team by clicking on the feed: User: "kaliswalker"
    🟢Post Only Here for a Team Seat Request!🟢New members will be added throughout the challenge

if you don't ask for a seat,, LOL remember what happened before? Yup the same, if we do not ask it doesn't happen, so PLEASE ASK for a seat. Which team were you on in the 5%? I was on the Spirited Under Dawgs. There are 8 teams instead of 12. If you'd like to be with a team that has your former members on it, there's no guarantee of it, but please let Ceri know which team you had been on and if they have an opening (newbies go to the team in general that need a newer member for the first round) she'll put you on it.

Here's the link to the 2022 Fall 5% Challenge. HAPPY TO HAVE YOU BACK!!!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143596-2022-fall-5-challenge-community-team-plz-join-us
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    @BartBVanBockstaele ,, ,Its at the Patience part most become discouraged. You'd make a wonderful motivational speaker! TY TY TY TY Bart for helping @Catgirlard!!! So appreciated.

@Catgirard ,,, ABSOUTELY COME ON BACK!!! Here's the link. We are now almost done with week 5, but anyone can now join at ANY TIME!!

AFTER you join please remember to ask for a team by clicking on the feed: User: "kaliswalker"
    🟢Post Only Here for a Team Seat Request!🟢New members will be added throughout the challenge

if you don't ask for a seat,, LOL remember what happened before? Yup the same, if we do not ask it doesn't happen, so PLEASE ASK for a seat. Which team were you on in the 5%? I was on the Spirited Under Dawgs. There are 8 teams instead of 12. If you'd like to be with a team that has your former members on it, there's no guarantee of it, but please let Ceri know which team you had been on and if they have an opening (newbies go to the team in general that need a newer member for the first round) she'll put you on it.

Here's the link to the 2022 Fall 5% Challenge. HAPPY TO HAVE YOU BACK!!!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143596-2022-fall-5-challenge-community-team-plz-join-us
    Thank you Dianedoessmiles1. I thik you are right, the patience part does many people in, misled as they are that promise "Lose weight FAST!!" and lose "10 pounds in the first week!!!", and then there is the nonsense that calories are rubbish and don't count whereas they absolutely do, and they actually make it extremely easy to estimate how long a diet will take.

Anyway, success with the challenge. I thnk you are doing a fantastic job with it.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    @BartBVanBockstaele ,,,, Oh if it were that easy oh Absolutely no one would ever be overweight. Everyone wants it immediately. Of course in late Dec/early Jan we'll see the same ole commercials/ads for "lose weight today" the magazines (I rarely look at them now) social media, so many places say you do above. Instantly. If only they were honest "you've eaten and eaten all the stuff you wanted. Do your knees hurt? Your back hurt? Can't walk up a few stairs? Let's be honest you've done to yourself. BUT DO NOT LOSE HOPE!! (Showing those who have lost a bit of weight or even a little before and after pics) YOU CAN get healthier. We are going to say it as it is "With hard work, determination (Will come in time) exercise at your current level or (if they do) and most of us all you need support. No we aren't talking new undergarments, but others who have been where you are. (Flashes more b4 and after pics)."

BUT will they do this? Nahhhhhh. But I know to some I just ask them leading questions, if they want to know more (this is face to face not online) I am way more than willing to help them along the way. I am sure you do too just based on your writing. To reach my yearly goal of 163 lbs I have 5 more lbs to go and 8 weeks to go!! WOOHOO!! I am such a SLOW LOSER!! With so many medical issues, but still Keeping focused.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    "you've eaten and eaten all the stuff you wanted. Do your knees hurt? Your back hurt? Can't walk up a few stairs? Let's be honest you've done to yourself.
    I completely agree with that. I always cringe when I hear or read "It's not your fault". With the exception of people who are being forcefed, it most definitely is. No one absorbs weight from the air. The only "breatharians" are con-men or dead. Regardless of the direct and indirect causes of overeating, overeating is the only way we gain fat weight.
    BUT will they do this? Nahhhhhh. But I know to some I just ask them leading questions, if they want to know more (this is face to face not online) I am way more than willing to help them along the way. I am sure you do too just based on your writing.
    We are of one mind in this. What I did and am still doing may not be acceptable for everyone, but I can say, and can prove, that what I did worked and if people are willing to listen they can at least give it a shot. After all, losing weight is really simple. It is almost never easy, but how often are things that are worth having easy to get? We may be living in a post-truth world, but we are not living in a post-reality world. Even characters in a virtual world have to comply to the realities of that world. Fat weight loss is possible for everyone, there are no known exceptions to that rule.

[quoate]To reach my yearly goal of 163 lbs I have 5 more lbs to go and 8 weeks to go!! WOOHOO!! I am such a SLOW LOSER!! With so many medical issues, but still Keeping focused. [/quote]
    I wish you all the perseverance and determination you need. You have come so far. You have all the knowledge and power you need to make it all the way. Keep it up!

• jedicloak
    jedicloak Posts: 1 Member
    Incredible! What and inspiration.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    @BartBVanBockstaele ,, IF ONLY Dr's were allowed to say it the way it is. I was so fortunate in that the back I saw DID Say it was as it was in part. I do have scoliosis my spine is quite curved, but I DID weigh almost 300 lbs. He took Dr "Bones" to show me exactly how the excess weight was not helping me, but hurting me. I was so angry he did that, but NOT AT HIM, at myself. It just took me time to realize it was at MYSELF. The way you've lost weight works for you, because you wanted it badly enough, same here, same for all of us who are here and not quitting. WE'VE GOT THIS!!!
    @Jedicloak,, Awwwww TY!! It wasn't fast, it wasn't easy, ISN'T EASY, but please keep on trying. You'll have days of "WOW I FEEL POWERFUL!" And days of "I am going to eat everything I've ever wanted!" The hard part is finding that middle ground, Please keep on fighting for it. You are worth it. Being a Jedi fan, you have that in you. 😊 The hardest part I think when we hit a plateau, but I love what I was told "your body needs to adjust to the weight you've lost, keep doing what you are, it'll come off again. it may take a bit, but, it will." AND IT does every single time. We are so happy to see new members here!!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    @Dianedoessmiles1 I completely agree. We should finally let doctors say what they need to say without attacking them for it. After all, they are only the bringers of bad (and occasionally good) news, they do not create it.

There is no "body shaming" when a doctor tells one one is fat. It is a statement of fact. There is no arrogance when a doctor tells one one needs to lose weight. It is a statement of fact. There is no condescension when a doctor tells one that eating three donuts, two hamburgers, two large portions of French fries and a block of cheese is too much. It is a statement of fact. There is no sinister money-grabbing scheme when a doctor tells one one needs to actually take the blood pressure medicine he/she prescribed. It is the best advice a doctor can give in our present state of knowledge.

Yes, we are free to follow the advice or not. But if we don't, it is not the doctor's fault that her/his recommendations don't work if they are not followed. It is our fault, no one else's.

And yes, you are right. I get a lot of negative criticism for what I do. That is fine. I have no problems with it. Actually, I welcome it. If I cannot defend what I do, it is not worth doing. I can defend it very simply, just by looking at the number on the scale. I can also do what you did: look at pictures. I have almost zero pictures of myself, but the one I did find is convincing enough, and so are shrinking clothing sizes.

Not only that, I know how it was done i.e. simply by applying the most basic of scientific principles that we have known since at least the late 1700s thanks to Antoine de Lavoisier.

And so did you. Sure, it is not always easy. It is sometimes darn hard and cruel, but it works. It works for you, it works for me, and there is not a single person on this planet for whom it does not work, except for the dead ones, and they no longer need the advice.

Keep it up!

@Jedicloak, what @Dianedoessmiles1 says is true. You don't need to "believe" anything, you't need to give ther "the benefit of the doubt", she is able to show genuine proof. What she does, works. No, it is not easy. It requires a tiny little bit of knowledge, some willpower, and a lot of patience depending on how much you have to lose. However, it is simple. You do not need to be a rocket scientist to do this. You only need to actually do it. While you may or may not need to lose, maintain or gain weight, the knowledge you require is the same, only the numbers will change a bit. I encourage you wholeheartedly to do it.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    @BartBVanBockstaele , ,, YO SUCH A LATE Reply I am giving huh? I hit a snag in life. They haven't yet figured out why the harder time breathing (I DECLARE it's a necessary need that I breathe! LOL) that has been so frustrating. See this Dr, who says "nah see this one." it had turned into a 3 circle monkey circus!! I did finally put an end to it this week. I'm seeing cardiologist to say "It lands here. Why can't it be figured out?" Ahhhh the let's not pass the buck! In all fairness to the cardiologist the last time I went "to the other hospital" and not the one she's at. The EMT said if it were his Mom he'd of taken her to the one I said Okay to which isn't the one my cardiologist is at. There are only 2 hospitals in the area, they SHOULD have a SHARING info way with each other, but they do not. I know though she can get into my records now, so I'll ask to her please do that as I am there this coming Weds.

Others should have NO rights to judge you on your decision. I'd look at them and respond with "And if I hadn't, I may not be here. Do you prefer that?" I love the shock value of putting back where it lays ,,, in it's YOUR decision. I've had some further testing, and my regular Dr has figured out parathyroid. Its not allowing the right amount of calcium into my bones though it's in my blood and when they do a T3 or T4 I look good, but it's not at all. I've read with any stomach surgery this is common. Please do keep a very good eye out on yourself. Hopefully your Dr's are following you to the T. You are such a remarkable person. I'll say again you should be a motivational speaker.

Oh I sure do wish Dr's would say it as it is as you did above. "you like to eat what? It's okay to say" have the patient say what they really eat "And today you are here for high blood pressure and back pain? How do you think you've contributed to these?" AMAZINGLY I know someone who says "it runs in my family." which is true, and does in mine too, but then ask "And how did your parents eat?" Sometimes that light bulb goes on, sometimes there's just no electricity in that brain. LOL the light bulb ,, oh sad! In a lot of us, no one has force fed us. Perhaps there's been food insecurity, that's so big, but needs to be addressed.
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,141 Member
    You never cease to amaze me. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner...you get down and get up..you keep pushing even when everyone else says STOP..sometimes not the best thing to do by the way!!
    You have proven that even with multiple issues you can improve your health..and no getting around a LOT of it is Attitude..that CAN DO...WILL DO...HAVE DONE ...attitude of yours and a lil just a trace of being highly competative..just a tad!!
    You even eat veggies now!! (or at least you were)..and less junk food..that was a biggie!!
    You get a gold star Gal...thank you for sharing your walk with us to help and encourage all of us on our way!!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited November 2022
    @BartBVanBockstaele , ,, YO SUCH A LATE Reply I am giving huh? I hit a snag in life. They haven't yet figured out why the harder time breathing (I DECLARE it's a necessary need that I breathe! LOL) that has been so frustrating. See this Dr, who says "nah see this one." it had turned into a 3 circle monkey circus!! I did finally put an end to it this week. I'm seeing cardiologist to say "It lands here. Why can't it be figured out?" Ahhhh the let's not pass the buck! In all fairness to the cardiologist the last time I went "to the other hospital" and not the one she's at. The EMT said if it were his Mom he'd of taken her to the one I said Okay to which isn't the one my cardiologist is at. There are only 2 hospitals in the area, they SHOULD have a SHARING info way with each other, but they do not. I know though she can get into my records now, so I'll ask to her please do that as I am there this coming Weds.

Others should have NO rights to judge you on your decision. I'd look at them and respond with "And if I hadn't, I may not be here. Do you prefer that?" I love the shock value of putting back where it lays ,,, in it's YOUR decision. I've had some further testing, and my regular Dr has figured out parathyroid. Its not allowing the right amount of calcium into my bones though it's in my blood and when they do a T3 or T4 I look good, but it's not at all. I've read with any stomach surgery this is common. Please do keep a very good eye out on yourself. Hopefully your Dr's are following you to the T. You are such a remarkable person. I'll say again you should be a motivational speaker.

Oh I sure do wish Dr's would say it as it is as you did above. "you like to eat what? It's okay to say" have the patient say what they really eat "And today you are here for high blood pressure and back pain? How do you think you've contributed to these?" AMAZINGLY I know someone who says "it runs in my family." which is true, and does in mine too, but then ask "And how did your parents eat?" Sometimes that light bulb goes on, sometimes there's just no electricity in that brain. LOL the light bulb ,, oh sad! In a lot of us, no one has force fed us. Perhaps there's been food insecurity, that's so big, but needs to be addressed.
    I am so sorry to read that your problem hasn't been figured out yet. I hope you will get a solution to your breathing problem. It can be really debilitating and scary and it is an all-too common problem. Almost every report I read includes it as a symptom.

You also point out another all-too common big problem: that of medical communication. It is arguably far worse today than it was in the past. We have the current privacy hysteria to thank for that. You seem to have solved that problem, at least in part. Keep up the good work!

Where weight loss is concerned, we also still have a lot to learn about exact mechanisms and "best practices" but what we know with as absolute a certainty as we can hope to ever get, is that a calorie deficit is guaranteed to cause fat weight loss and that a calorie excess is required for fat weight gain.

And really, anything else is just skirmishes in the margin that do not change the reality of that one certainty. At most, the problem is no more complicated than finding a way to achieve an energy deficit that we can live with for a long time, quite possibly until we snuff it.

Anyone who says otherwise is simply not aligned with reality. I encourage anyone who does not believe that to take a good look at people on a hunger strike: how come they lose weight and then die? If energy intake is not important how is it even possible that no hunger striker has ever been found to come out morbidly obese instead of a very dead skinny corpse? Anyone who can answer that question has all the knowledge they need to lose weight.

All we need, is that people finally stop listening to the quacks who are telling them what they want to hear and start accepting that simple truth and start living in accordance with what logic and reality dictate.

You are doing the right thing. Keep it up.

I found this point of view documentary a while ago. You don't need it, but it might help some people realise that losing weight and keeping it off is possible, and that the people who did it and are doing it, are not some rare breed of superhumans with lucky genes, but just normal people who have "seen the light" and are willing to do what is necessary. It also nicely illustrates the fact that we are all different:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLL-A1B8Uzo
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!