Pasta cravings

Options
1235»

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,662 Member
    Options
    San Francisco style Vietnamese garlic noodles with a little broccoli. This is an unlikely combination of butter, garlic, parmesan, Vietnamese fish sauce, Chinese oyster sauce and maggi seasoning.
    jv8ojzh29sh9.jpeg

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,464 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    San Francisco style Vietnamese garlic noodles with a little broccoli. This is an unlikely combination of butter, garlic, parmesan, Vietnamese fish sauce, Chinese oyster sauce and maggi seasoning.
    jv8ojzh29sh9.jpeg

Oh, I need to try this! Fish sauce and parmigiano sounds like a match made in heaven!

My personal comfort food is fry onion and garlic in ample oil until the onion is sweet, remove from pan, cut luncheon meat (beef works best) into small cubes and fry in oil until crispy. Mix with al dente small pasta, like elbow pasta, serve with parmigiano. You've got the sweet onions, the sharp garlic, meaty meat and nutty parmigiano. It sounds yucky, but it oddly works (don't tell any Italians)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    jv8ojzh29sh9.jpeg

Oh, I need to try this! Fish sauce and parmigiano sounds like a match made in heaven!

My personal comfort food is fry onion and garlic in ample oil until the onion is sweet, remove from pan, cut luncheon meat (beef works best) into small cubes and fry in oil until crispy. Mix with al dente small pasta, like elbow pasta, serve with parmigiano. You've got the sweet onions, the sharp garlic, meaty meat and nutty parmigiano. It sounds yucky, but it oddly works (don't tell any Italians)

Too late--I read it. :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,481 Member
    Options
    jv8ojzh29sh9.jpeg

While I'd never eat that (because vegetarian), it sounds delicious!

@acpgee, your polycultural, creative, open-minded cooking is IMO both inspirational, and a delightful spectator sport. 😋

Right now, I'm enjoying a big bowl of tofu noodles (crisped), mixed veggies, and - among other things - black vinegar (a wonderful veg-friendly one from my local Asian market). I'd never heard of black vinegar until I saw you mention it somewhere on MFP. It's so good!

Thank you!
  • acpgee
    Options
    I cooked this afternoon with a girlfriend who wanted to stock up on home made ready meals in the freezer. We did a huge batch of Marcella Hazan's bolognese sauce as well as some sausage ragu pimped with extra veg similar to what I ate with gramigna on a recent vacation in Bologna. In the evening we used some of the bolognese sauce to make lasagna cupcakes. These layer ready made frozen gyoza wrappers for the pasta layer, cottage cheese instead of the bechamel from a classic lasagna recipe, and the hard cheese topping was red leicester that happened to be on hand instead of parmesan. Cupcakes were served with a rucola salad.
    If your family fights over crunchy corner pieces of lasagna, baking lasagna cupcakes in a metal muffin tin turns every piece into a corner piece. If everyone prefers soft centre pieces use a silicon tray.
    fw1mows2btvs.jpeg

• acpgee
    Options
    Tried to reproduce the gramigna with white sausage ragout we saw in Bologna.
    nmw55j845fjw.jpeg