Whole Foods Plant Based friends!

Options
Hey all!

I've been following a WFPB way of life since April, and I'm starting to struggle a bit. I should be starting maintenance now, but I can't seem to get a grip on more calories to stop losing weight.

I'd love to make some friends that also eat this way to share some easy yet delicious recipes and snack ideas!! & bounce some ideas off of to figure out how to get my intake up.

Hope to chat with some people soon!! 🌾🍠πŸ₯•πŸŽπŸ₯‘

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Without knowing what you eat or what you've been told or believe WFPB generally is also low in fats and oils. Selecting plant foods that have more fat or adding more oil in the preparation or finishing of a dish is an easy way to add calories. I would suggest that you try to keep the polyunsaturated fats (mostly refined seed oils) to a minimum and try to keep any added oils unrefined and if you haven't totally excluded animal protein, to consume fish for the omega's EPA and DHA which are essential and not available in plants.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Since carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram while fat has 9, the easiest way to increase calories is with foods high in fat. If your WOE allows oil, using more of that is the most efficient way to add calories. If not, nuts, seeds, and avocados. If you're not already eating fresh coconut, try adding that. It's always fun using a hammer to get to my food!

Those who are wondering about WFPB oil vs no oil can check this out:

https://www.plantnutritionwellness.com/a-dietitians-review-of-whole-food-plant-based-no-oil-wfpbno/
  • BlondeButtercup127
    Options
    Since carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram while fat has 9, the easiest way to increase calories is with foods high in fat. If your WOE allows oil, using more of that is the most efficient way to add calories. If not, nuts, seeds, and avocados. If you're not already eating fresh coconut, try adding that. It's always fun using a hammer to get to my food!

Those who are wondering about WFPB oil vs no oil can check this out:

https://www.plantnutritionwellness.com/a-dietitians-review-of-whole-food-plant-based-no-oil-wfpbno/

Thank you!!
  • YM_Taylor
    YM_Taylor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Small things like adding some nut butter, hemp seeds or chia seeds to a morning smoothie or oatmeal can pack on calories pretty quickly without being overly heavy! Also increasing the portion size/ratio of more calorie dense foods in a meal like legumes and grains vs filling up on veggies can also help. Small changes to each meal can add in plenty of calories in a day without having to heavily rely on oils... unless you like oil then go crazy πŸ˜„