Has anyone gotten rid of shin splints?

Options
I want to jog and run sooooo bad. But I've always been held back by horrible shin pain when I try. Even when I just walk and have any type of incline, it kills me. I'm looking for advice on how to get rid of them so I can amp up my work outs and not be afraid of participating in any group classes and even 5Ks?!

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Replies

• Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    SHOES!! Go to a proper running shop, where they look at how you stand/walk/run and recommend the right running shoes for you. The right shoes make everything much easier.

If you've already done this, then it could be overpronating, where you "reach" too far forwards with your front foot. Other runners might be able to explain that one better...!
  • igoleft6
    igoleft6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had them bad when I started running 2 yrs ago. What helped the most was new shoes, I went to a running store and had a gait analysis and they recommended a motion control shoe. I don't know if you have had this done but it saved my shins!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Rub the arch of your feet and the shins with a tennis ball. It will make you want to cry. Do that before and after your run. It got rid of mine in 2 days.
  • Fossana
    Fossana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ice your legs for 15 min and make sure your not running in old shoes or shoes that are not designed for running. shoes that have 300 or more miles on them should be switched out
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I had terrible shin pains when I first started walking. What I found was that I was trying to do too much too fast. I slowed my pace down somewhat for a couple of weeks and slowly built my way back up.