does jogging bulk up legs?

Options
Hey :)

So I'm sure a lot of people have asked this question before, but I've seen a lot of different answers. Im a teenage girl I do marathon running, track running, cross country running, basically any kind of running. I was wondering if this bulks up your legs??? I've been doing it for many months and my legs have gotten more toned, but I'm scared that If i continue with my running habits (I tend to run 7k a day) my thighs eventually be really bulky? Am I building more and more muscle by running?

Incase this matters, I eat a balanced diet and consume usually between 1200-1500 every day. I burn around 500 a day with running, walking, and pilates. im almost 5'6 and weigh about 112 pounds give or take a pound (it differs every day). And a lot of my body weight is in my legs since they're muscular, my thighs are 20" at the top.

Thanks so much for your feedback xx

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    no
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    No, just no :noway:

If I haven't still managed to bulk with my heavy squats and deadlifts for the past year I highly doubt running will make you ''bulk'' :laugh: Especially with the little calories you are eating!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    No, and if you want to consider running high mileage, 1200-1500 calories is no where near enough.

I'm in marathon training now, and have to consume something like 2700 calories a day to keep my energy and pacing up.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No.

Sprinting "can", but a couple things.

You're becoming a conditioned athlete (from what you say you do), so gaining muscle becomes harder to do quickly.

You'd need to eat at a caloric surplus to pack on noticeable muscle mass, and lift. Running isn't going to do it, especially distance running. Plus with you're caloric intake vs burn you're not even close to fueling muscle gain.

Also, with being a female, it is really hard to gain significant mass, and just running isn't going to do it.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Not to be a d!ck, but Google a pic of a marathon runner. Then Google a pic of a bodybuilder. 2 different worlds.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I am truly going to :heart: this thread.

I can see it coming . . .
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    post a pic of your legs.
  • RGv2
    Options

I know.......

waiting-game-meme-generator-and-now-the-waiting-game-07fc04.PNG?1343280655.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by "bulk up", what you eat, how and where you run, and genetics. But, eating as light as you do, you are unlikely to build much more muscle through running.
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Only if you carry an 80's Walkman in each hand. Wait, that bulks up your arms. You should be good then.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    running2_21vanity.png
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    mrhumphries.gif
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I know.......

waiting-game-meme-generator-and-now-the-waiting-game-07fc04.PNG?1343280655.jpg

tumblr_m1gn8oeNmt1qfj8gwo1_400_zps03c56691.gif
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Not to be a d!ck, but Google a pic of a marathon runner. Then Google a pic of a bodybuilder. 2 different worlds.

Right. One eats more than the other. Bulking and weight gain is closely tied to your nutrition. Unless you're eating a ton of food and doing some accessory work in the gym you have nothing to worry about.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Oh how i wish young Arnold was here to read this kind of post!!! :laugh:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I do 5k of intervals a day (5). My thighs are getting smaller from fat loss, but my calves are getting a bit bigger even with the fat loss.

Although, they are also getting a lot more definition everywhere.

Overall, I think the effect is good.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    <
    Been running consistently for over 18 months, with strength stuff in between - legs not bulky. But lookin' better than they have in at least 15 years! :bigsmile:
    Only if you carry an 80's Walkman in each hand. Wait, that bulks up your arms. You should be good then.

:laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    you do marathon running.....and you're asking this? Wait.....have you ever run a marathon?
  • RGv2
    Options

Best thread reference ever.

OIXrp.gif
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lnn48cVAjO1qdlkgg.gif