Nervous about vacation

Options
It is time for our summer family vacation tomorrow. We are headed to the Wisconsin Dells, while I am excited for the (much needed) vacation. I am also very nervous that I will fall off the wagon. I won't have my computer, so I will not be logging in anything. I have been so faithful & diligent about logging in everything, everyday. I know that we will be doing a lot of walking around, more activity during the day then sitting at my desk, but I also know we will be doing a lot more eating. Any suggestions on having a fun time away with sabatoging the success I have had so far?

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    When we went on holidays I was just very diligent about what, and how much I was eating. We did alot of "dashboard" meals, bagged salads, buns and roasted chicken from the deli. Also try to use a smaller plate and always have salads, or fresh veggies, to munch on as the majority of your meal and you will be fine!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Tally your numbers up somewhere. On paper or a memo on your phone.
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bring along healthy snacks.... your family might even prefer them! On our vacation last weekend, I packed bags of sliced bell pepper, cucumber, carrots, and celery, a big sack of apples and oranges, almonds and pretzels. I still snacked in the car (mostly to stay awake while driving :D), but ultimately my calorie intake wasn't too bad so I felt like I could relax and snack a little.

A big part of vacations is eating out, too, so decide now--is your goal to stay right on your weight-loss calorie target or are you okay with just maintaining this week? Either way, you probably don't want to fall into "old habits," so be careful with portion sizes and hidden calories in restaurant food. Having these things on your mind will make you more careful than you might have been before. Make some goals for yourself on this trip and stick to them!! GOOD LUCK!
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    If you think you might be stopping by fast food restaurants at any point go online and research their nutritional info now. This way you'll know where things stand and can make a smarter choice. Do the same for any other chain restaurants you might be going to.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Okay... first things first. While you are at the Dells make sure you go the deer farm and take the Duck tour. Both were hits during our trip up there 10 years ago.

As for food. Watch your portions, think smart, and have a good time. It is vacation. You'll be surprised how much your way of thinking about food has changed.

Enjoy.

L
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't overthink it too much, be sure to balance out your meals and remember that it's not a DIET, but a LIFESTYLE. You'll be surprised how much that changes how you think about it.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to have fun! Don't beat yourself up too much, just make the smartest choices in any situation. If (like me) you are on the frugal side and hate to pay good $ for a meal and have it go to waste, share with someone. Most restraunt meals are over portion anyway, look around and see what others are eatting and how full the plates are. Order one meal, split it, and add a side salad or soup. Asian food is always a good bet, lots of vegies.

Enjoy yourself! MFP will be here when you get back.
  • Mandee_N
    Mandee_N Posts: 5
    Options
    I just came back from a 4 week vacation myself. The hardest thing for me was not getting my normal exercise. I tried to eat within my allotted calories, and did well for the most part. There were a handful of days I didn't complete my diary, but was fairly aware of what I was eating.

Then, we went to my husband's mom's house. More exercise, but, more food too. Not a good week.

My best advice; don't sweat it. Allow yourself a treat...but make it a treat. Over 4 weeks I gained about 5 pounds, so I'm cleansing this week.

Good luck, and enjoy your vacation!!