Bench Pressing Compliments

Options
Anybody have a favorite exercise to alternate between a bench press during a workout? Doesn't necessarily have to be another chest exercise, but let's assume we're talking about a "chest" day.

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Anybody have a favorite exercise to alternate between a bench press during a workout? Doesn't necessarily have to be another chest exercise, but let's assume we're talking about a "chest" day.

Are you talking about super-setting? Basically do a set of bench press then a set of... If so, then the back compliments the chest in-terms of exercises, antagonist / protagonist. You can always do chin-ups, pull-ups, or some kind of rowing exercises. When I'm warming up on the bench press, after each warm-up set I do a set of band pull-aparts. I do DB Benching as an accessory movement and super-set with DB Rows.
  • RUNNINxRIOT
    RUNNINxRIOT Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks... Yes, I'd consider it a superset. I actually do pull-ups now as a compliment, so I guess great minds think alike. I was just looking for a more well rounded set of options though, so a row would be ideal! I'd imagine other chest exercises like chest flies wouldn't be such a good idea, correct?
  • JNick77
    Options
    Great! Thanks... Yes, I'd consider it a superset. I actually do pull-ups now as a compliment, so I guess great minds think alike. I was just looking for a more well rounded set of options though, so a row would be ideal! I'd imagine other chest exercises like chest flies wouldn't be such a good idea, correct?

I don't know that rowing is anymore well-rounded than chin-ups but it's a good alternative to rotate with every few weeks. As for the chest flys... I guess it depends on what you're doing or what your goals are. A workout focused on hypertrophy and volume could involve such a super-set I suppose. Bodybuilding type work isn't something I get into very much to be honest.
  • CaptainHNNNGGG
    CaptainHNNNGGG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do anything major because bench is going to take a lot of energy. Maybe some oblique side bends or seated calf raises..
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I love supersets :smile: :smile:
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I might jump rope or slap myself in the face really hard to get myself fired up. I'd rather save my strength for the bench.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    dumb bell lat pulls are a great alternative, single between the legs, bent at waist or one in each arm, keep stomach tight, and focus on form making sure back stays parallel to the ground.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    On my upper power/strength day I do bench and chest supported rows back to back but I rest 90 sec between each exercise so it looks like this: Rows, rest 90 sec, bench, rest 90 sec and repeat for 3-5 sets. I also do the same for dips and parallel grip pullups but I reduce the rest time to 45-60 sec between exercises.

I find this reduces time in the gym and my strength levels don't drop on either the bench nor the rows.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do anything major because bench is going to take a lot of energy. Maybe some oblique side bends or seated calf raises..

That is the way i usually look at it. But to rest my arms as well i normally do any kind of ab exercise ( sit ups , crunches , knee tucks etc ) to let my arms rest and still keep my heart rate up between sets.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    is that bench press new? no? well, it looks great for it's age.

not only do you have a good looking bench press it's also quite powerful.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been mixing in my assistance sets of bench press with DB curls.

Flys or reverse flys might be good too.

I would do this only during the warmup or assistance sets. Don't compromise your main workout.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Alternate as opposed to just an accessory lift?

I wouldn't alternate much on the bench if that is your major lift that day, but if you have to, it would either be pull ups or DB rows.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options

*This*
  • jaweiss1
    jaweiss1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

lulz.

OP: *complements*.
  • JNick77
    Options
    On my upper power/strength day I do bench and chest supported rows back to back but I rest 90 sec between each exercise so it looks like this: Rows, rest 90 sec, bench, rest 90 sec and repeat for 3-5 sets. I also do the same for dips and parallel grip pullups but I reduce the rest time to 45-60 sec between exercises.

I find this reduces time in the gym and my strength levels don't drop on either the bench nor the rows.

These days the only thing I'll superset my bench (main exercise) with is band pull-aparts and that's usually only after each warm-up set. I do superset a lot of my accessory work, db bench / db row, chins / dips, tri's / bi's / deltoids, etc...
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Was just in our small gym with a guy who was benching more than I weigh. Definitely gave him a compliment or two...

Oh, you meant complement? He was also mixing them with random ab exercises. I was alternating overhead press with lat pulls at the time. He was much more impressive. Getting weak, my undertoned *kitten*...