Tracking macros?

Options
MandyCMN
MandyCMN Posts: 17 Member
I see a lot of people track macros but what is the benefit of this? Has it made a difference?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,272 Member
    Options
    Well, generally speaking you track calories for weight management and macros for health/satiation.

I watch my protein intake because my goal is to gain some muscle mass or at the very least maintain it.
    I watch my fat intake for health reasons - you need a minimum for hormone health, brain function,... (I check occasionally, but I rarely have issues reaching this goal)
    I don't watch my carbs because they're not an essential nutrient - they just take up the rest of my calories after protein and fat.

Other people might:
    - watch their protein intake because protein helps them feel fuller
    - watch their carb intake because they prefer eating low carb, because low carb helps them feel fuller
    - watch their carb intake because they have blood sugar issues
    - watch their carb intake because they need sufficient carbs to fuel their exercise
    - watch their fat intake because fat helps them feel fuller

If you have issues with hunger, it's an interesting thing to watch. You might see patterns looking at days when you were very hungry versus days where you felt more satiated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    Great post by @Lietchi. I'd just add one extra thought about why people pay attention to particular macros:

- watch their fat intake because if they don't eat enough, digestive throughput slows down to uncomfortable levels
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    HUGE difference! I am on a vegan diet and now that I am aiming for higher protein and higher fat I am losing weight more easily.