Vegan Chocolate Cake that even non-vegans will like

Options
TribeHokie
TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
I am not a vegan nor do I have any desire to switch to that lifestyle, but a friend of mine who is currently experimenting with vegan cooking brought this over the other day and I felt that I absolutely HAD to share the recipe. She claimed the texture was just as good as, if not better than, Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker and I called BS. Well......I was wrong and ended up asking for the recipe. I challenge any non-vegan to try this.

Just Chocolate Cake
by IsaChandra
http://www.theppk.com/2008/08/just-chocolate-cake/

1 cup almond milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular (or a mix of both)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350?F.

Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla and almond extract and mix well.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).

Lightly grease an 8 inch springform pan. Pour in the batter and bake for 32 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted through the center comes out clean.

Gooey Ganache

2/3 cup almond milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
8 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup

In a small saucepan bring the milk to a boil then lower heat to a simmer. Add the chocoate chips and maple syrup and mix with a fork. Turn heat off and mix until thoroughly melted. Let cool for about 15 minutes before using.

To assemble:

Just pour the ganache over the cooled cake and kind of tilt the cake at all angles to get the ganache to drip down the sides. Refrigerate to cool and set the ganache.

Replies