Seeking gluten free friends, please :)

Options
bb_phat
bb_phat Posts: 20 Member
Hi! Just getting back onto MFP after a bit of a break. About 3 months ago I discovered I am gluten intolerant, and would love to have some gluten free friends to learn about ways to deal with it, what to eat, and also for support.

Thanks!

Replies

• HeartRN77
    HeartRN77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac, not fun. I usually by 1 loaf of GF bread ( I like Glutino) and freeze since it;s so expensive. I've learned to deal with it by eating lots of protein, vegtables, potatos ( white and sweet) and brown rice. I find that if I try to eat whole foods and I'm usually safe. I get very ill from gluten, I found out I had it after I passed out and they found out I had so little nutrients being absorbed because of the damag to my stomach and I was so anemic I required blood transfusions. My advice it to do a lot of research online, if you haave a pintrest account they always have great GF receipes on there
  • khaapala
    khaapala Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good to read your post -- I've also been taking a break this summer from MFP and discovered while "gone," that I seem to have an intolerance to gluten. I've been a week without now, and do feel better, but wondering how to count calories.... ??? Any tips will be appreciated. :flowerforyou:
  • femmefata1e
    Options
    I'm celiac, too (diagnosed 2009). It's different than being intolerant to gluten but neither one is very fun. I am extremely sensitive so I have to be very careful. Not everything that is labeled "gluten-free" is safe - my body can detect well below the supposed 20ppm of gluten that was previously considered 'safe'. If you can tolerate a bit of cross-contamination here and there and the 20ppm range of gluten then it opens up a lot more options for you. For me, if something I eat even passes by a cart with gluten containing foods on it while in the factory, my digestive system will tell me, lol ;)

I'm happy to help with any questions you (or anyone else) has about going gluten-free. I'm not an expert by any means but I've learned a few tricks along the way :)
  • ohheyitsfelicity
    Options
    I have Celiac disease, I was diagnosed in 2011. Feel free to add me, I also have an open food diary :)