Best Stair Machine workout

Options
Anyone have ideas of what are good workout for this machine?
My plan is to do the 12 -3 -30 workout on the treadmil but I don't know any good workouts for the stair machine.

I don't feel comfortable lifting weights yet as my gym can be with a lot of gym rats and I feel intimidated around people like that as I have no idea where to start with lifting weights and don't want to be judged.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer. Itll be worth it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    SOIJ20 wrote: »
    Anyone have ideas of what are good workout for this machine?
    My plan is to do the 12 -3 -30 workout on the treadmil but I don't know any good workouts for the stair machine.

I don't feel comfortable lifting weights yet as my gym can be with a lot of gym rats and I feel intimidated around people like that as I have no idea where to start with lifting weights and don't want to be judged.

What is your fitness objective for using the stair machine? And why the stair machine specifically?

As a simplistic example, if your goal is cardiovascular improvement, that would suggest some things; if you're trying to take a baby step down the strength road, different things; if just trying to get calorie burn while not getting bored, yet other things.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Get a trainer. Itll be worth it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yep.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    If you use the Stairmaster, my strong recommendation would just be to work on using it at a pace where you're not leaning over, supporting yourself with your arms. I'd say 50% of the people I see in a gym are doing exactly this, and it's not only terrible for your posture, but it puts a lot of stress on your wrists and shoulders and could, potentially, cause injury.

Using the Stairmaster (properly) would be to just hold on for balance, stand upright, with solid posture, and be able to climb the stairs. If you tire out and can't do that, end the workout rather than leaning, pushing off with your arms to make the legs work less.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    There are several machines that might be called "step machines." It usually means a machine that has a more-or-less vertical foot motion, mimicking actual stair climbing (sometimes with actual endless stairs). These are relatively difficult machines and not great for beginners. For any new machine, I recommend starting with manual control and finding out what level you can manage for at least 20 minutes.

If that's too hard, switch to an elliptical. They are easier on the knees and you can start at a very easy level, working up over time. In the long run, there's no reason to stick with just one machine, and you could do elliptical one time, jogging another, and climbing a third. Whatever keeps you interested.

Best of luck.