Anyone way under calorie count?

I am having a very difficult time eating more than 900 calories a day. Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    Have you radically changed the way you're eating?
    What could help is:
    - adding calorie dense foods into your diet, specifically fatty foods (high fat dairy, nuts, seeds, oils, fatty fish, avocado....) since fat is the most calorie dense macro (9 kcal per gram, as opposed to 4 for carbs and protein)
    - eating more frequently
    - drinking calories, for example drinking smoothies
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,331 Member
    If you can only manage to eat 900 calories a day, should you really be trying to lose weight? Or else how did you eat to gain weight? Maybe bring some of those foods back into your diet.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member
    Sounds like you may have fallen into the Good versus Bad Food thinking.

You can eat whatever you want to get yourself up to calories. Lietchi had good suggestions above.

I remember when I first started losing weight I did the same thing, and I had to snap out of it.

Eat. Under-eating has negative consequences. No food is off-limits. Obviously some choices may have more of some nutrient(s) than other choices, but nothing wrong with peanut butter on toast. A slice of cheese and an apple. A cookie!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Eat nuts, avocados, all high calorie foods and it should be no problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 478 Member
    I’ve been struggling to gain as well because I also suffer from low appetite/feeling full really quickly. I’ve been working with a nutritionist lately and that’s been helping me to identify foods that make me feel bad (I.e. really full and bloated) and alternatives I can eat instead.

I feel your pain… and good luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    In addition to the comments above, my only addition is - are you certain of the amount of calories you are ingesting? Most people are terrible at eyeballing portions. Make sure you're weighing your food in grams and logging it all religiously. Then if you 100% sure you are consistently eating 900 calories (not just one day here and there), then increase the high calorie foods.