SAHMs 7/26 - 8/1

Options
We are a group of FABULOUS sahm's who are committed to our good health goals. We are informal but do challenge each other too. and we totally get the unique roles we play and the struggles that follow in trying to get fit and take care of our families and homes. :) come join the conversation at any time. we welcome newcomers!

Replies

• Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Hey I would love to be a part of this group!! I am a sahm to a very precious, very active 3 year old daughter! She is one of the main reasons I am wanting to lose this weight so bad. . .I want to set a good example for her so hopefully she doesn't have the same struggles with weight & poor self-esteem I have had and also so I can have more energy to keep up with her! I have only been staying home since July of last year after working full-time outside the home up until then so as much as I LOVE being home with her and am sooooo thankful that it's finally happening, it is still fairly "new" to me and sometimes I get a little stressed/depressed not being around other "adults". Most of my friends were people who I worked with and even though I have stayed in touch with the closest of them, they are still working their full-time, stressful jobs (like I was before) so I know what it's like and usually by the time the workday is over they don't really feel like getting out and doing a lot. So sorry to ramble on but in saying all that if I can be a part of this group then hopefully I can "talk" to other adults who deal with the same day-to-day issues I have in addition to weight loss & healthy habits support :smile:
  • brookekedd
    brookekedd Posts: 14
    Options
    Yay! I am a SAHM to five crazy, yet gorgeous little kidlets! One girl (8) and four boys (7,6,5,2). I completely understand about the adult interaction! I quit my full time job 7 years ago when I had my second child. Now it seems like I do a lot of "child talk". There are many days when I don't want to hear "MOM!!" another time! Thank goodness for 5:30 when dad gets home! As hard as it is, I wouldn't trade it. I'm glad I can be here for them at any moment!

I'm hoping to set a good example for my children as well. I did not grow up eating healthy, so it's hard learning about all of the healthy foods out there! I don't want my kids to have the same weight struggles as my husband and I do.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent a little!
  • Alexis1227
    Alexis1227 Posts: 15
    Options
    I will join!!!
    I'm a SAHM to 3 kiddos. My son will be 8yrs old this Saturday. My middle child is 3. And my youngest will be 2 on Aug 10th.
    The next few weeks are going to be torture for me with all the birthday cakes and pizza from their parties.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our group, ladies. I have a crazy little 2yo girl. :)
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I need some encouragement or maybe a kick in the pants.... I posted here a couple of weeks ago, but you know how summer is and how chasing after little ones can be...busy! I haven't been on much since.

So after losing 15 lbs. I have stalled. I have not been able to get in a workout in about 2 weeks - I have 3 under 3 (2yo twins and an 8mo old). Some days are really hectic and there is little time for a shower let alone a workout.

After letting the workouts slip, I let my diet slip. I have only gained 1 lb. back but I don't want to gain back any more.

How do you do it?! I can barely keep up with all the laundry let alone find time to exercise. What sorts of meals do you make for the whole family that are healthy and easy?!

Any advice?

Thanks!
    J
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    Options
    hi i'm Shawna and i'm a SAHM to 5 kids, i have 108 lbs to lose, ive lost 2 lbs over a mnth, i think i would of lost more but since my wallet was stolen and i wasnt able to shop over the last 3 weeks all i could eat was junk, my husband gets paid again on the 1st so i will def be buying so fruits and veggies....

yesterday my husband and I where in Wal-mart and i wanted to look at work out videos he looked at me and said have you tryed all those and none have works( yah i did and no they didnt) so he said why dont you try something else, like a personal trainer or those dance classes you like ( ZUMBA) i told him well you know those take money LOL, so next week im getting a pass to the gym that holds the zumba class the gym member ship is $35/mnth plus the 6 weeks of zumba 2 days a week is $40 total of $75.....WHOAH now that i look at that number its a lot....we might not beable to afford that.... the other option is to pay $40 for the zumba classes and then pay a drop in fee to the gym of $2 each time.....so for 6 week it would cost $24

which do you ladies thinks is better idea?
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    Options
    hi i'm Shawna and i'm a SAHM to 5 kids, i have 108 lbs to lose, ive lost 2 lbs over a mnth, i think i would of lost more but since my wallet was stolen and i wasnt able to shop over the last 3 weeks all i could eat was junk, my husband gets paid again on the 1st so i will def be buying so fruits and veggies....

yesterday my husband and I where in Wal-mart and i wanted to look at work out videos he looked at me and said have you tryed all those and none have works( yah i did and no they didnt) so he said why dont you try something else, like a personal trainer or those dance classes you like ( ZUMBA) i told him well you know those take money LOL, so next week im getting a pass to the gym that holds the zumba class the gym member ship is $35/mnth plus the 6 weeks of zumba 2 days a week is $40 total of $75.....WHOAH now that i look at that number its a lot....we might not beable to afford that.... the other option is to pay $40 for the zumba classes and then pay a drop in fee to the gym of $2 each time.....so for 6 week it would cost $24

which do you ladies thinks is better idea?
    never mind i think curves would be better
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sherry, Brooke, Alexis, and Shawna and welcome back J.

Brooke~I can so relate to what you wrote! I have 7 children ages are boys 9, 3, 2, 10 (almost 11) months; girls 8, 6, 5. It is CAARAZZZY here!!!!

J~ I have been having the same issues lately in the last 3-4 weeks I have not exercised the way I need to but I have not let the eating slip too much. I feel the same way sometimes about time for taking a shower vs workout. Have you tried to have the hubby help you out so that you can? Or maybe incorporate the kids in your workout (lifting weights/playing with them)? or even nap time would be great. If none of that works try waking up a little earlier than them or doing it when they go to bed at night. The main thing is just putting forth the effort to get it in the rest will come. Once you make it a habit and begin feeling how great it feels to exercise you won't want to stop doing it you will do everything in your power to get it in. Having a workout pal has helped me too. That way you push each other. I make the same stuff I did before just eat less of it and more veggies/fruit. Plus I try to make it a more healthy way. Just make little changes and then they will snow ball and become big! :) I hope that helped. Edit: I also wanted to say something that helped me is to put myself on a schedule with the house work. Assign a room to each day of the week to "deep clean" and just maintain it the rest of the week. That goes for laundry as well. For my family we have two laundry days. I was horrible about putting the clothes away once they were clean but now I make a point of folding, hanging and putting them away right from the dryer. It has been A LOT easier that way.

Well I am glad that I survived the weekend! I did not do so good on food this weekend. I want to start the week off great and stick to the plan. We will see how it goes and will keep you guys posted. Hope you all had a fab weekend and have a great week!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Lots of newbies! I love it! welcome everyone! This is a great group of ladies!

MIL is still in town so I don't have much down time ...I snuck on the computer! :tongue:

Trish I love your new pic!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group. I am a sahm to 7. 4 are now adults so I only have 3 left at home, but it can be crazy and it is hard to find time to exercise. I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome which make it really hard to exercise. I have been swimming and going on walks. It is easier on my joints. This will be a fun group where we can relate to each other, sometimes I just want another adult to talk to........
  • blessdmomof4
    blessdmomof4 Posts: 125
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    So many new faces, welcome!! I'm Melissa and I am a homeschooling SAHM of 3. My daughter is 9, and my sons are 6 and 5. I also homeschool 3 other kids during the school year. I have been enjoying having the summer "off" with just my kids.

I have been a slacker lately. I still stay under cals most days but I'm not making very healthy choices and I haven't been working out as much as I was. I don't know what I did to my neck but I re-aggravate it every time I work out. It was OK for a few days but hurt again this morning, all I have done for the last week is run so Idk how it's getting re-aggravated but its...well...aggravating.
    It's been a whole month since I lost any weight. I am really hoping to at least drop a pound or 2 in the next week or so. I have been SO tired lately though and I find it extra difficult to get out of bed at 5 am. I've been able to squeeze workouts in w/ the kids on the bike trail or run after hubby gets home but I really need to get to the gym and I can only do that at 5 am :yawn:
    On the positive side, I have been able to get a lot done in the house lately. We started a new chore plan. There are 4 daily chores (dishes, sweeping kitchen, washing tables, drying and putting away dishes) and 4 weekly chores (bathrooms, vacuum, sweep rest of house and dust) and the kids and I switch our chores each week. I'm absolutely amazed at how well they are able to clean. I thought there was no way my 5 year old could clean the bathroom or do the dishes well but he can! They all can! It's just a matter of taking the time to teach them and giving up the notion that things need to be done "my way". It's been great so far. I also deep cleaned every room in the house just before we started our new plan so it's been a good way to maintain (which isn't one of my strong points). Tackled the basement today. I still have the homeschool closet (scary music plays), my porch, garage and shed to clean out before the end of the summer...
    I'm almost 1/2 way to my goal to run 100 miles by September but I realized that I will have to run about 10 miles a week from now until then to acheive it! Yikes. I hope this neck will stop bothering me so I can get to work!
    Have a great week everyone.
  • curliegirl
    curliegirl Posts: 191
    Options
    Hi to all the newbies--Sherry, Brooke, Alexis, and Shawna and all that I missed! I have 4 kids--18yo boy, 14 & 11 girls & an 8yo boy.

I think it is awesome that you all are concerned about your health now while you are young & have little kids! Our kids are going to need us to be strong & healthy as they grow and what a great example to them as they become adults.

I have a had a great surprise this week! I injured myself a while back and exercise hasn't been happening but I keep watching my calories and staying right at my limits. I had snuck up 5 lbs when I couldn't exercise(sad face). But this week everyday has shed 1/2 a lb. I haven't changed a thing so my body just decided I was serious and gave up some lbs. Hoping that it continues this coming week as I am back where I was and now it is time to see more lbs come off. So my advice to those of you w/ no time to exercise is to focus on which foods you are eating and how much FIRST before the exercise. If you can do both--great but don't use the "I don't have time" excuse any more!!!! You can make a difference in what you put in your mouth each day.

A meal plan makes a big difference. I will post on that later on--gotta go get some things done.

What are everyone's goals this week? Mine is drink lots of water & stick to my meal plan as close as possible.

Kim
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    welcome new ladies! you all have so much to add to this group--so glad you found us!

i just finished the dishes---took 40min. ugh! and now boy is doing who knows what w/tape? oh well...i get to have a minute here :)

i am mom to 3--almost 10 y.o. girl, 6 y.o. girl, and 3.5 y.o. boy
    i will be homeschooling the middle 2 starting soonish....i plan to do year round and take breaks as needed.
    i can see a lot of what we need to work on is character training. the ltrs, #s, rdg, writing etc will come and are easier for me as compared to instilling AND MODELING good behavior/values.

i also need to figure out where that exercise fits in. melissa, sorry your neck is causing you such pain. is it worth a trip to the dr or chiropractor? just a thought.
    and kim you are so right! exercise is a + and has so many + benefits, but the bottom line is that good choices in = good results.
    thanks for the inspiration!

goals this week--walk 2 days, drink the water and no snacking after dinner/when kids go to bed. bad habit.

later chicas!
  • brookekedd
    brookekedd Posts: 14
    Options
    Why is it so hard at night? I'm the same way with snacking after the kids go to bed. It's like I finally have time to do whatever for myself and I want to eat! I need to make dinner the last thing I eat for the day. I got some teeth whitening trays from my dentist, so I've been brushing my teeth and putting those in (they stay in for an hour). That seems to help me because I don't want to "dirty" my whitening (it's all mental). It's kind of expensive to keep up though so hopefully I will just get in the habit of not eating!

Water is another challenge. I love it at night, but during the day, I like my diet coke! I do pretty good at getting 8 glasses in per day but I need to cut out the soda. It's my get-a-way (if that makes sense).

Good luck with your goals this week to all the ladies!
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    brooke~For myself it is because I am trying to "comfort" myself with food. There are times that I truly am hungry and at those times I won't not eat as long as I have the calories for it. There are those times that I haven't made very good choices throughout the day and I will still eat if I am feeling famished. That is after checking to make sure that it isn't thirst. I used to have the same problem with turning to soda when it was stressful. That is until my oldest daughter (now 8 then 5) made me and the hubby promise that we wouldn't drink coke anymore because it was bad for us and she didn't want us putting it into our bodies anymore. :( That cured the coke habit. As for any other soda it just got to the point where I just didn't like how sweet it tasted anymore. I have heard of just brushing your teeth (no whitening) to help with not eating anymore.

So I went on a bike ride tonight with the oldest daughter. It was a lot of fun. At one point she was freaking out and going all swirvy and ended up hitting into the side of my bike. Neither one of us got hurt but my goodness my luck with bike crashes lately is not so good. :wink: Of course after she was all worried about this person, that was passing us in a car that rolled her eyes at us as she passed us. It was nice though to get out and go for a bike ride and spend some time with her.

I have been doing great on the water intake this week. How is everyone else doing with your goals?
  • curliegirl
    curliegirl Posts: 191
    Options
    Brooke & Katie--I also tend to eat for "comfort." Soda used to be my "treat" or I'd say I got paid in Pepsi since I didn't have a job that gave me cash. :) In May I swore off soda for over a month. I have had a few since then but it is just occasionally. Try snuggling w/ hubby or call a friend for the comfort you are looking for. Works for me!

I also get bored at night. I am dog tired by then and I just want to relax so I don't "watch" what I am doing as close. Hubby & oldest son tend to have a snack of cereal or ice cream. If I am being good(or I am out of calories) then I will have a cup of hot tea. If not I have a tiny amount of what they are having & don't feel left out that way.

Things are gearing up for school here. I am in the middle of planning things(homeschool) and getting projects done. i started powerwashing outside yesterday. Got part of our drive & the concrete porch done--it was really gross. Next the deck. However it is going to rain today so we are headed to the library.

Goals for today?

Water, stick to my calories & get some errands done while we are out.

Have a great day!

Kim
  • staceyw37
    Options
    and to add to kim--go snuggle a kid or pet or stuffed animal. or handicraft--knit, crochet, word finds....

this from the girl who baked cookies yesterday----

still. getting my water and otherwise holding my own with respect to food. was gonna walk but got a school call (no biggie) this am and that ate up my exercise time.
    i'm taking the boy to the pool soon and will be sure to say YES to as many turns on the slide as he wants. i have to wade thru the deeper water to catch him, so that'll count for exercise!

can i share a momma proud?--my middle girl (in K) had a first grade tour yesterday with her K class. then she filled out a worksheet.
    what are you most excited about for first grade?
    "being with my mom"
    awwwww. my heart just melted.
    and then--what are you worried about for first grade?
    nothing
    (cuz she'll be with me....)

can i tell you how wonderful that made me feel? i know it's superficial and of course a little kid is glad to be with mommy--but it was such a heartwarming affirmation.

so to all of you/us--We are SUPER mama's! And our kids know it too! :flowerforyou:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    anyone out there?! hope you're all having a great weekend!

i finally got a walk in this am --3.4mi. and i resisted the ice cream in the freezer last night. both HUGE accomplishments for me!

wanna know my latest hare-brained scheme? thinking i could offer free dogwalking services so i would be committed to getting out for a morning walk (b4 hubby leaves for work) more regularly.
    gets me lovin time with a dog and exercise.
    will keep you posted!

what's been going great for you? how can we make your weekend end strong?
    goal--drink 48 oz water
    eat 4 fruits/vege

keep on truckin!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Stacey- If I lived near you, I would take you up on that offer in a heartbeat! We just added a dog to our family and I am having trouble getting her walks in in the mirning and my runs!

Busy day today, but it's supposed to be gorgeous!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Rabbit, rabbit, SAHM sisters! (That's my good luck to you for the month of August)

Stacey, if I lived closer, I think I'd help with the dog walking thing. Great idea!

Nicole, why don't you take the doggie running with you?

Grace has been coughing since July 22, and she's been sounding more and more phlegm-y, so I decided to keep her home from church today. Mind you she's not SICK (sick kids don't bounce wildly on the couch, laughing "Jumpy! Jumpy!"). She just sounds a bit like Darth Vader & is snotty. If it hasn't cleared up by Thursday this week, she's going to doctor. Being sick this often is not okay.

Goal this month: Get under 185 and drop 3 inches from my waist. The last part is a tall order. Will try to get 25 miles in this month, too, and aim for 50 next month.