Any advice?

Options
So, 95% of my accidents are German shepherd related.

I have totally wrecked my left knee, the only thing stopping surgery is the wonderful synivisc shots. So that means I need to be really easy on my knee, it's bone on bone, partial ACL tear..

That left walking Misha, until, a tangle with her cushion, a few of her big balls, flying thru the air like superwoman.. and a full thickness rotator cuff tear..

Any suggestions of what there is left to do that won't hurt more?? (I'm looking at surgery for both :( )

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    um...a dog walker, dog training?

I mean, at one point I had eleven German shepherds and they never injured me.

I think with any large powerful dog the owner must be in charge in the dog's mind. They should be under control on leash 100%. That takes training and consistency. I'm sorry you're injured but it's going to keep happening until and unless you address that part.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I’m confused. Did you get injured walking your dog, or did you trip over her stuff? Mainly though, I agree with @cmriverside that the bigger issue would be training your dog. I mean, you’re running out of parts for her to break!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,545 Member
    Options
    Don't watch Clifford the Big Red Dog, it might be triggering.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Your dog needs exercise, to be healthy and happy, so until your ACL heals you should hire a dog walker to make sure she gets enough exercise or ask a friend or family member to take her in.

For you, a stationary bike would strengthen the muscles around the knee without injuring your shoulder any farther. I would talk to your orthopedist first to make sure it won't make the ACL tear worse. Besides that, PT for both shoulder and knee. After you are able to walk again, training will go a long way to making it safer to walk your dog. That said, there will always be moments when she sees a rabbit or cat and pulls hard, so you need to work on upper body strength as well so you don't get dragged. A friend of mine ended up with a broken hip when her large dog pulled her to the ground. It can happen in a moment, so you need to be prepared to maintain control.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's not Misha, or at least, not directly. She's just 80 pounds of happiness.
    I need exercises that I can still do because 'I' hurt 'Myself,' does that make sense?
    Like my knee, lol, it's been a mess for a while, Misha just happened to be there when I attempted to kick her ball and ended up in a full on football slide.. with my knee under me
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    That does sound better. :)

I would think your surgeon would use physical therapy as a first defense if you're still able to use the knee. A physical therapist would be the one to recommend exercises that wouldn't make your injury worse, but I don't think it's usually recommended to do ANY exercise with an ACL tear. I'd get in to see a physical therapist ("physio" in some parts of the world.)