Gym Anxiety

Options
nicolewolff96
nicolewolff96 Posts: 15 Member
edited October 2022 in Motivation and Support
Ugh tried joining a new gym today with a friend. After signing up for their highest membership another employee shows up to try and force me into a personal training program and wouldn't take "no" for an answer. :/ Asking what my plan is.

I already have gym anxiety so i didn't feel comfortable explaining what i want to do for him to pick apart. He insisted and immediately signed my friend and i up to go in tomorrow morning to meet with him for whatever. Made us both so uncomfortable and now i feel trapped since they already took my bank info for the first membership. 😞

I was feeling excited to get back into a gym with my friend, and now i just am feeling more anxious that tomorrow he will try pushing me into more personal training that I do not need or want.

Tagged:

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My husband is an expert at this and I've watched him over the years. Buy yourself time. When someone is pushing you, it's never to your advantage--it's theirs. So, my husband will say "OK, but I'll think about it and evaluate and get back to you". Be firm that you want time, and don't plan on deciding right now. Say you'll get back to him or her in a week, and then push it back if you need to. If backed into a corner ask "Why the rush?"

Good luck. I just hate situations like this, but life is a learning experience. They will crop up and you'll have to handle them. May as well start now.
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Most any sales involving a contract will have a cool-off period where you can change your mind and cancel without any fees
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Being on the other end of this, there are much better ways to get people to train with a personal trainer if the trainer is sincere and doesn't overstep their boundries. I NEVER talk to an introduction at a desk or near a computer. We have a sofa area and I go there to introduce myself and sit with new intros. They know why we're talking so my conservation with them focuses more them as a person. Why did they feel they needed to join? Is there anything they aren't sure about? If they are anxious, I ask what concerns them the most (IE. being judged, unsure about equipment use, lack of how to perform exercises, etc.) Are they suffering from any pain that won't go away? I'll then take them thru a quick physical assessment, give them feedback on what I feel may be their weaknesses and offer them my services. If they decline, then I just move on. I'll always try to do the best that I can with each person, but someone declining is just part of the job. I get 3 out of every 4 people I talk to sign up even just for a 4 or more sessions just to help them get acclimated to the gym and their bodies to adapt to working out consistently. After, I leave it up to them to resign if they want. And the majority of the time most will. Currently I have 50 active clients, some I see 2-3 times a week, some once a week and some bi weekly or once a month. Everyone is different and I just have to try to find what they believe is most beneficial for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Being on the other end of this, there are much better ways to get people to train with a personal trainer if the trainer is sincere and doesn't overstep their boundries. I NEVER talk to an introduction at a desk or near a computer. We have a sofa area and I go there to introduce myself and sit with new intros. They know why we're talking so my conservation with them focuses more them as a person. Why did they feel they needed to join? Is there anything they aren't sure about? If they are anxious, I ask what concerns them the most (IE. being judged, unsure about equipment use, lack of how to perform exercises, etc.) Are they suffering from any pain that won't go away? I'll then take them thru a quick physical assessment, give them feedback on what I feel may be their weaknesses and offer them my services. If they decline, then I just move on. I'll always try to do the best that I can with each person, but someone declining is just part of the job. I get 3 out of every 4 people I talk to sign up even just for a 4 or more sessions just to help them get acclimated to the gym and their bodies to adapt to working out consistently. After, I leave it up to them to resign if they want. And the majority of the time most will. Currently I have 50 active clients, some I see 2-3 times a week, some once a week and some bi weekly or once a month. Everyone is different and I just have to try to find what they believe is most beneficial for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

And that's why you're successful. Thank you for all your advice on MFP--it's appreciated.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    "I appreciate your time but I'm really not interested."
    Repeat if necessary.
    If he still won't back off, "I've stated my position quite clearly. Is this something I need to explain to your supervisor since you don't seem to understand?"