Trying to find the "sweet spot" with my running

Options
How often do my fellow runners run? I got back into running once I lost a significant amount of weight. I'm been playing around with my routine but I'm looking to see what everyone else does. I've gone from 5 days a week to 6 days a week to 3 days on 1 day off. 30 minute run. Usually around 5km.

What does everyone else do.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    I try to run 4 times. Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat. I need to give my body sufficient time to rest and recover.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Three times during the week, short ones before work. And once or twice over the weekend, depending on other plans and how I feel, these are longer distances so need some time available.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not a runner, but an avid cycling enthusiast and have been for the last decade or so. My "sweet spot" has been pretty variable over those years. Everything from full on endurance training doing 100+ miles per week with long rides on the weekend to now where I'm very much just recreational. Right now I'm riding about 4x per week on Mon, Wed, Fri for about 30-45 minutes, typically during the time between when I drop off my kid to soccer practice and have to pick him up. I usually go out for a longer ride on Saturday or Sunday or go mountain biking...but sometimes hiking.

Right now 3-4x per week is definitely my sweet spot, especially with the busyness of my life right now. I may once again get into endurance cycling, but riding 6-7 days per week for about 5 years really became a slog and I ultimately wasn't really enjoying the training or the events anymore. I also lift 3x per week, so being more recreational in my cycling also allows me to take a day off if need be or I can also just go do something else like taking a nice hike, or hopping into a yoga class or something.

My wife is a runner and was pretty into marathons and 1/2 marathons for quite awhile...she's since "retired" herself and she's pretty much on the 3-4x per week run schedule as well and sometimes she'll mix in a ride and run 3x and ride 1x and she lifts 1-2x per week.

I think the "sweet spot" for anything is whatever allows you the most enjoyment that also works in conjunction with whatever else is going on in your life and the other things you do. If you're not training or otherwise specializing in something, I've found it very beneficial to just be flexible and not program too much rigidity into my plan...just enough that I don't slack off, but not so rigid that I'm like, "crap...it's Saturday and today is a 30 mile ride and I don't feel like it" kind of thing
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I used to race a few times a year - a marathon plus a couple of half marathons. I was maintaining a base of about 35 mpw, ramping up to 55 during marathon training and about 40-45 if focused on a HM. I've done only one race since Covid, and have had issues with my hamstrings and glutes so I cut back a lot in the last couple of years. Still I like to maintain a base that would allow me to do a race if I choose and to train seriously without needing a lot of build-up.

I also like to eat some fairly fattening foods without having to worry too much about gaining weight. (I've been maintaining for several years.) I find that my sweet spot between food and exercise is about an hour a day, 5-6 days a week, plus my daily slow 2-3 mile walks with our dog.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I usually aim for 3 to 4 runs per week (depending on whether I'm training for a race or not). Times and distances will vary, again depending on if there's an upcoming race.

Running 5 or 6 times per week wouldn't leave me enough recovery time so I tend to alternate with low impact x-training like rowing, cycling or (not so much lately) swimming. One of the advantages of cross training is that you can address muscular imbalances (running is pretty glute/hamstring focused) and improve injury resistance.

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,183 Member
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    How often do my fellow runners run?

I'm been playing around with my routine but I'm looking to see what everyone else does.

What does everyone else do.

@JaysFan82 I found this monthly group thread and it is very motivating, the core group runs, check in with each other, and a lot if insight and encouragement. Check in and post your August projections, then we'll all support each other through.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10896155/august-2023-monthly-running-challenge/p1?new=1
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Most commonly I run 3x per week. Two 'short' runs - that are generally 6miles or less. One long run on the weekend (haven't really gone more than 9miles though).

I'd like to run a 1/2 marathon, and I think that's a doable distance without a 'strict' training plan so it seems like a good choice for a low maintenance race distance for me personally.
  • scavonedan
    scavonedan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do 3.2 in the early morning 6 days a week. If it takes me 30 minutes, fine. If it takes me more or less, fine. My goal is at least 3 miles and at least 30 minutes of that activity. I am more about the 30 minutes than the distance.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    In last few months I do a daily run. However I do some slow jogs during the week. Slogging is a thing google It. Sundays is my short work out and if it’s a run I at least try to do 30 mins. Sundays since it’s less time I may make it my fast run for the week as well. At min I’ll do a daily 5k with a 10k for hump day.
  • TxDesertFox
    TxDesertFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It varies for me. Off-season I run about 3 days a week (try to keep my weekly mileage under 25) and try to work in more strength training and mobility exercises because I have a harder time getting all of that in when I'm training for a race (which is when I run 4 days a week. I used to do 5 but with my work schedule/commute it wasn't feasible to maintain for long while also trying to strength train). I'm in the tail end of training for my next marathon, but I've had some life changes that have me working 60 hours a week (7 days a week) for about the next six months, so I'm having to drop down to 3 runs a week, and try to work in more cross training/plyometrics/strength training.
  • ricky9676h
    ricky9676h Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As you see there are many programs. It really depends on your goals. If you are trying to get distance then you need volume. You will need time on the pavement to condition your body for that particular goal. If it’s speed then intensity is needed. If it’s for general health, weight loss, or simply like you mentioned, it’s an activity you now can do with the weight loss (congrats by the way, I want to celebrate with you!!!) then it’s your call. Continue to have a strength training program no to the mix to keep the lean muscle building as a primary goal, this will increase your resting metabolism so you burn more calories throughout the day and run for fun. If your body is good and you are enjoying it then awesome!