Weight loss.

Options
I have a injured back but with my medication I can still exercise but a new hip injury and a hernia has made it impossible to exercise, I can hardly walk. How can I lose all of this weight I have put on?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    You do not have to exercise to lose weight. You just need a calorie deficit. Plug your stats into MFP and it will give you a daily calorie goal without exercise. Eat that everyday. When you've lost and can move freely again, you can start with exercise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with snowflake that weight is about calories, full stop. If you're injured, I would always first recommend a physical therapist for an exercise plan that will help you heal and not make your injuries worse.

When you are injured, it's pretty hard to lose weight, I've been there. For one thing, an injury or illness causes an inflammatory response - which is water, which is weight, and masks your true weight. I would say get these injuries healed and then you'll have a clear view on your weight.

In the meantime of course it's super important to give your body good nutrition to facilitate healing as quickly as possible. Lots of lean protein and whole fruits and vegetables. Some fats.

I'd suggest eating at Maintenance or a very small weight loss goal (like "Lose 1 pound per week" or even "Lose 1/2 pound per week," ) until you feel a bit better. I hope you have a good medical team for your injuries and can begin to heal.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I'm disabled and can't move my legs much and I have no problem losing weight.

I've never connected weight loss and exercise. I exercise to maintain my health. I do very gentle, small PT exercises to keep my body as stable as possible. I don't change that routine if I gain weight or if I lose weight. So it's not relevant.

If I gain weight, I reduce my diet, if I lose too much weight, I add to my diet.

I lost from obese to very lean without ever doing any exercise besides gentle PT and some light walking.