My biggest struggle with losing weight is not knowing how to do it.

Options
I won’t lie. I have not been to the gym in a minute. But even when I did go, I never felt I got much accomplished. And I also fall off the wagon a lot because after weeks of tracking calories and exercising, I only seem to put weight on. And no, it isn’t muscle.

Did anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    Increased intentional exercise causes increased appetite. Unchecked, yes, it makes sense this could cause weight gain. This is why they say weight loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym. There's no easy way around it. To lose weight, you have to eat less high calorie food and more low calorie foods.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Try keeping track of your food intake. It's all about levels of calories. Exercise is good for you, but you still have to figure out the level of food that allows you to exercise and lose weight.

Try this: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    OP, you DO know how to do it [lose weight.] Set up your calorie goal in such a way that you aren't super restricted with your eating. Lose weight slowly. There's no finish line -- which is different from reaching a goal. When your goal is reached, you KEEP your new healthier eating habits and do not return to habits that landed you here in the first place.

Exercise is great as it allows us to eat additional calories, but learning to eat in a way that is satisfying and keeps you in a deficit is where it's at. Master that, and everything else is gravy (sorry for the food related pun.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I won’t lie. I have not been to the gym in a minute. But even when I did go, I never felt I got much accomplished. And I also fall off the wagon a lot because after weeks of tracking calories and exercising, I only seem to put weight on. And no, it isn’t muscle.

Losing weight is primarily about what is going into your pie hole, not the gym or what exercise you're doing. If you're putting on weight consistently over time while going to the gym, it means you're eating too much. Some weight gain and stagnant loss is pretty normal with a new workout routine though as you retain water to aid in muscle repair. As a woman you also have to consider that your weight will likely fluctuate up and down more so than a man due to hormonal fluctuations. All of that is going to show up on the scale.

Losing weight is a long game thing and not a quick fix. Losing weight requires consistency and discipline over a long period of time, not a handful of weeks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

When you're ready to go back to the gym, I suggest a few sessions with a personal trainer. Every gym I've ever joined has offered 1-3 sessions for free upon joining, and many have free or very low cost small group classes. I've moved a lot and taken advantage of this every time.

Back when I first started with MFP and started lifting weights again, my weight went up 7 POUNDS. I'm sure it was new exercise water retention. It started coming back off within a week.

But if you're not exercising and not losing weight, then we can rule out the exercise water weight aspect.

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • whumphries204
    whumphries204 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly use the scale as a data point to track progress. Weigh once a week same time,day,empty stomach. Make a note and adjust accordingly. You will gain weight while lifting weight due to water retention in the muscle tissue. At the end of the day it's going to be about how you feel and perceive yourself in the mirror. Keep hydrated and eat low calorie, high volume foods to keep yourself from getting hungry.
  • Dougf09
    Dougf09 Posts: 10 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

In the past I've lost 200 lbs, and am back after gaining just a bit of it back 😀. What worked for me was always creating a deficit through exercise. For instance if what my body needed to survive was 2,200 calories, I would eat that and aim for 1k calorie burn a day being active. If you're not losing weight despite tracking everything my first suggestion would be there is potentially a miss in calorie counting somewhere, do you have a food scale and weigh everything you log? A lot of the stuff in the food database isn't accurate and portions can change wildly when picking up food at restaurants etc

Also, persistence is key. Maybe you're losing fat but adding some water weight and it's masking the weight loss? There's a lot of factors at play. I would try 3 things; really hone in on accurately weighing/measuring/tracking the food you consume, eat more but also burn more, and just keep at it. At the end of the day this is a math game and we just have to find the numbers that work for us. Best of luck!