Preparing for My First 5K

Options
I'm going to run my first 5K October 5 (and my second one on October 26) so I need to know how to condition myself. So far, I've run only about five minutes at a time, and I generally walk 3.3 mph for a mile. In the past week I've upped it to 1.3-1.5 miles at a time and I'm going to try to hit about 2 miles by Sept. 15.

I'm not a runner, I'm about 284 pounds, and I have to watch my right knee because of previous injury. The injury isn't awful, but it does make me have to get off my feet 1-2 times a week to rest and ice. Apparently it really doesn't like long distances but will probably lessen as my weight goes down.

Any ideas or help to do this better or more efficiently?

Replies

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I know of people who will run 1 min then walk 2 and slowly decrease the walk time as they become more fit. That might be something to consider. Make sure you have good shoes- go to a running shoe store and get fitted! :) Ice several times a day for about 15 min each time and you should probably get a dr to look at it just in case. It should have less pain as you lose, but you don't want to risk hurting it more while you get there
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My shoes are good! It's just my knee gets a little inflamed when I'm asking a lot from it -- such as upping my 1 mile to 1.5. It's not pain! pain! just soreness and a little swelling that has to be watched. If I didn't rest or ice, then I would likely have a problem.

I've never liked running, but this is about a fitness goal. I've found I do better when I have goals.

Any other conditioning advice? Any other exercise I should be doing? I'm still trying to drop weight, so I feel that will also help on all fronts.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Look into Couch to 5K, it's perfect for you. There are phone apps for it too. The running time is gradually increased.

Also there is a group on here which seems pretty active: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Good luck! I'm doing a 3k 25 Oct, nothing like a good motivating target?!