High Cholesterol At 30. Help!

I have no idea where to begin but my doctor wants to put me on medication and I would rather try to fight this with diet 1st. I'm about 25 pounds over the weight I should be and I want to change for my children. What kind of diet can I eat? All I know is little dairy and low fat diet... But I'm not sure what else to eat other than salads and fish/grains. What do you eat?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    edited November 2022
    That's not surprising, statins are big business. I would ask your Dr. to produce the studies that show cholesterol is the causality for heart disease. They've been blaming cholesterol for 50 years there must be a least one study, right? When they can't I would suggest you seek a different Dr. Most cardiologists give no f's for LDL-C and look at HDL which they want to see in the higher range, and they want to see triglycerides on the low side, that is pretty much a tell tail sign you have little to no risk but if these aren't, an intervention is needed. imo and many others.

If you have low HDL and elevated trigs then weight loss and exercise will and does move both those needles in the right direction and as far as diet is concerned consuming more from the natural whole food aisle and reducing as much as you can ultra-processed foods is I think a good strategy. A very low carb diet will more than likely deliver better results than other diets but again it's not an easy diet and it doesn't really make sense if you think you can't live without a moderate level of carbs. I will say that a diet that is focused more on protein as your constant and steady macronutrient where you manipulate carbs and fat to suit your tastes as a good place to start. cheers.

Here's a couple of studies that are interesting.

https://heart.bmj.com/content/108/12/932

Conclusions In middle-aged Australian women, moderate carbohydrate intake (41.0%–44.3% of TEI) was associated with the lowest risk of CVD, without an effect on total mortality. Increasing saturated fat intake was not associated with CVD or mortality and instead correlated with lower rates of diabetes, hypertension and obesity.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34547017/

Conclusions: In a meta-analysis of 18 observational studies including our new cohort study, higher levels of 15:0 and 17:0 were associated with lower CVD risk. Our findings support the need for clinical and experimental studies to elucidate the causality of these relationships and relevant biological mechanisms.

This second study basically says that diary fats improve and lower risk, which is consistant obviously from the 18 studies they looked at, but not sure who said dairy is to be avoided but the science doesn't bare that out.