Fitbit w fitness pal

Options
Is it a good thing to have your Fitbit activity linked to your fitness pal.. I noticed it adds on more calories that you can eat according to your activity… is this a good or bad thing?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Good thing. Keeps your deficit (weight loss rate) the same. Underfueling tends to be unhelpful.
  • bridgettblackwood
    Options
    So if I normally hv a 1200 calorie allotment for day but then get an extra 500 calories added do to excessive.. I can eat those added calories and still loose wieght?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    So if I normally hv a 1200 calorie allotment for day but then get an extra 500 calories added do to excessive.. I can eat those added calories and still loose wieght?

Yes, assuming all the estimates are correct. To validate MFP's estimate of your needs, and your device's estimate of what you actually did, follow the goal (including eating the activity calories) for 4-6 weeks, and compare your average weekly weight change with your weight-change goal. If you need to, you can adjust your calorie intake at that point, based on your actual individual results.

If you're an adult female not yet in menopause, compare your bodyweight at the same relative point in at least two different monthly cycles.

With shorter time periods (than the 4-6 weeks or whole cycles), random water weight fluctuations can be large enough to be misleading (when it comes to bodyfat gain/loss, the part we generally really care about). Weight loss is not linear, even when fat loss (maybe) is, because of the water weight effects.

MFP's and fitness tracker estimates are likely to be reasonably close for the majority of people, but if a person happens to be a bit non-average (possibly for non-obvious reasons), they can be a bit off. In quite rare cases, they can be meaningfully off, but that's unusual.