Doing things the right way for the first time

Options
jlgmfp
jlgmfp Posts: 33 Member
I’ve been on this site since I was 18. I’m now 27. And in that time I’ve constantly been in cycles of restricting and binging. Sometimes I’d restrict heavily for months at a time and lose a bunch of weight but I’d always become obsessive and it’d consume my entire life. It would then inevitably be followed by a period of binging and uncontrollable hunger and I’d regain all the weight I’d loss. I’ve just constantly cycled been that. Constantly guilty and focused on losing weight obsessively.

But the last few months I took a different approach. I’ve been eating at least three times a day. I roughly estimate calories in my head but don’t get obsessive about it or worry if I’ve gone over my target for the day by a bit. I’m trying to walk more but don’t beat myself up if I cba to leave the house. If I get really hungry I have something to eat instead of constantly trying to skip meals and minimise my intake. And I just feel like my hunger feels so much more in control now. I never really get the urge to binge. I’m not obsessive. I can enjoy social occasions and eat a lot from time to time without feeling guilty and without it triggering months of binging. And I’m still gradually losing weight. My weight is the most stable it’s been in years. My mood is better. My bloating is way better.

I’m hoping I can keep this up. Just wish I’d done it before, but I always felt so much pressure to lose weight as quickly as possible.

Replies

• walkintofit
    walkintofit Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    U got this! U found the key that works for u! Awesome!
  • JustRamona
    JustRamona Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Great! Congrats to you. It's all about what works for you! Seems like you are starting to build a sustainable healthy habit! Thus, I am not preaching how to do it, just providing you with some thoughts for your next change. Once I realized I needed to eat more often, my next step was introducing more vegetables into my three meals while reducing the empty comfort foods---so I wasn't deprived I added 2 small "guilty pleasure" snacks" ---down 164 pounds.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,156 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a big step in the right direction, keep up the good work! It takes some people a lifetime to figure it out (and to be honest, some never figure it out at all).
  • jlgmfp
    jlgmfp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    JustRamona wrote: »
    Great! Congrats to you. It's all about what works for you! Seems like you are starting to build a sustainable healthy habit! Thus, I am not preaching how to do it, just providing you with some thoughts for your next change. Once I realized I needed to eat more often, my next step was introducing more vegetables into my three meals while reducing the empty comfort foods---so I wasn't deprived I added 2 small "guilty pleasure" snacks" ---down 164 pounds.

Yeah I think that’s something I’m still trying to figure out. Most vegetables make me very bloated, and that can then really trigger dissatisfaction with my body and so make me be too restrictive and trigger unhealthy habits. So for now I’m just sticking to the foods that I’m craving that that work best for me. Will try and figure it out more in the future though probably

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!