How important is a "Rest Day"?

Options
After 2 1/2 years on MFP, my lifestyle change includes a daily workout. I look forward to burning calories, reducing stress and improving my physical and mental toughness each and every day. I feel LOUSY when I take a rest day and particularly miss the endorphins that feed my mental well-being. I find I only miss a workout every 2-3 weeks. For the record I do a wide variety of strength and cardio including Muscle Mix, kickboxing, step aerobics, Boot Camp, TRX and numerous strength conditioning exercises with free weights along with P90X and T25 videos. Is it truly important, physically, to have a day of rest here and there? How often and why? Please share your thoughts.

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    yes! it is very important to take a rest day. I hit the gym HARD 4-5 days a week. The last time I took an extra rest day, I dropped like 3.5lbs in 2 days. The rest day allows your muscles to heal from the "damage" of working out.

Taking a "rest day" doesn't have to mean laying in bed or sitting around all day. it's more about taking things easier for the day. That last rest day that resulted in a 3lb loss? I had a friend visit who I hadn't seen in 4 months. He's a gym rat too. Instead of going to the gym and doing 2 miles on the track, 2 miles on the elliptical, 4 miles on the bike, and 10 flights of stairs ( my typical cardio day), he and I went on a casual hike to the back of my 5 acre property. Then we sat in the back yard and drank coffee.The closest I got to a workout all day was sweeping and mopping the kitchen and bathroom floors ( I broke a sweat).
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't do rest days. I can count on one hand the number of days in a year when I don't do at least an hour of cardio. So far this year I missed one due to a really miserable cold that disturbed my sleep to the point that I was exhausted. The other days were when I was traveling to and from Europe and even then I managed 5 miles of walking every day from pacing around giant airports during layovers. Last weekend I rode 31 miles in a charity bike race on Saturday and then went out for an hour again on Sunday,and took a short swim in the pool later.

Hasn't killed me yet, nothing aches, and I'm 60.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Rest day? What's that? I will lift heavy each muscle group once a week to allow rest and recovery for each muscle group. However, never missed a day of exercise (sports, cardio, lifting, biking, etc). No days off just lying around.
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That is phenomenal that you would be doing what you are doing at 60! A gal after my own heart. I am 52 and hope to be as fit as you are when I catch up to you. I'm glad there is at least ONE other person who doesn't take a rest day. I am certainly in the minority. Folks make it sound like I am really sabotaging my fitness by going at it every day. Wish I knew what the true answer was. Thanks for responding.

PS My employer has a Wellness Center with awesome programs and a gym. Our insurance company also reduces our individual premiums for certain wellness activities!
  • keyer23
    Options
    LOVE THE T-SHIRT!
  • keyer23
    Options
    @ patentguru: Like the way you think!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that rest/recovery days are when your muscles build (as they repair). Fridays are my rest days. I'm still active but will stick to going for a walk vs. strength training, running, Zumba, etc.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important, but you can always have an active rest day and not just lay on your butt.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I believe it is. I am runner, but I still take at least one day off. Muscles need time to grow and repair. I suppose if you are doing light weights and high reps, you are safer. But if you are doing challenging routines, rest days are important. Even elite athletes need a rest. But I am with you, I enjoy doing something everyday - just make sure you go easy a few days a week!
  • littlesprite11
    littlesprite11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important, but you can always have an active rest day and not just lay on your butt.

Rest days really are important...and it is because your muscles need time to repair...rebuild and strengthen..but it doesn't mean you have to sit on your butt. It's just important not to lift weights everyday or work your abs everyday. Especially if you are really working out...it prevents injury. :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My rest days usually consist of nothing more strenuous than walking. I'll walk my dog 3-4 miles on my rest day, but otherwise I don't engage in any fitness activities.

*I walk my dog that much everyday. The dog still needs to do her business even if I'm resting. :laugh:
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have been working out everyday because of the plates and screws I have in my left ankle and leg from breaking two bones in my ankle in February. If I do not, my ankle will be stiff and I will limp all day when walking. I also have to wear rocker bottom shoe to walk properly. However, today I did not work out at all, felt a little bad about it, but I figure I will start back tomorrow. Since I will be seeing my doctor on Tuesday for my ankle check up, I will talk her about it. I am only doing machine exercise and walking because my ankle only bends 50% , I cannot jump or run.