Pain in the....

Options
HANDs.

Ok so I started doing some weights splitting sessions into upper and lower body. Basically after doing an upperbody set my hand just hurt so much afterwards and will do so for a day or 2. Am I just holding the weights wrong, or does everyone get this?? Its not unbearable, but it reminds me of that shin splint feeling but in my thumbs and fingers. I'm guessing either way they will get used to it.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Socalgal13
    Options
    Hi, I have never had that problem nor have I heard of anyone else having pain from gripping the weights. I assume you are talking about dumbells. You might want to ask a gym staff member or a trainer to take a look at what you are doing and see if it is a form issue. I do know that when I am tired I tend to grip the weights very hard and that is a waste of energy. I try to be mindful in keeping a firm but not tight grip on the weights
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yes maybe I will ask the staff.

And yes it is with dumbbells. Next time I will pay more attention and see how tightly I'm gripping the weights. Its just annoying that the thing that prevents me going heavier isn't the muscles I'm working, but the pain in my hands :/.

Thanks for the reply
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    When i started going back to the gym after a two year hiatus, i had pain - and still do - everywhere ! Lol! Even on the sole of my feet! That's how sedentary i am..... !!! Not to mention of much my bum hurts at spin class....
    It will get better with practice.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Loosen your grip
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're hanging on too tight. They don't need to be held onto for dear life. Just hold them. Loosen and flex your hands between lifts and focus on lightening the hold.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have been without my versa-grips this week (which I use so as not to have man hands! :laugh: ) and my hands are hurting me today. Doesn't matter, I have to have straps or gloves, or mine hurt. Do you wear gloves?
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Could it have something to do with carpal tunnel syndrome?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Easy there, doctor. Let's try out the simple solutions before we go the full webmd route
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Easy there, doctor. Let's try out the simple solutions before we go the full webmd route

Not trying to play doctor, just making a suggestion that maybe there is a medical reason for her pain so that she might consider seeing one for it.