Cleansing/detoxing

Options
So I just got t25 focus and I have heard such amazing things about it that I really want to
Put my all into it. I decided before I begin this I would like to do some sort of detox. I just
Thought it would be a good start, and also to move the scale a little. I've been stagnant at
131.4 with very little fluctuation. My goal weight is between 123-128. I've gotten to 128 but
Could never maintain it there but I'm not gonna say its out of trash because I remember when
I was bobbing between 143 and 139 and thought I would never break out of the 140s completely.
But I did it, and once I broke free from the chains of the 140s, the 130s fell off like magic... Till now,
131.4 is the solid number that haunts me and has since about march. I have managed to get it down
To 129 but not steady. I know t25 has a very good chance of putting some pounds on the scale from
Muscle gain, but I'm ok with that. It's really just about the way I feel. If I only lost 2 pounds but felt
The difference in my cloths and the way I looked, then that stupid number on the scale wouldn't matter.
So anyways just looking for some input on a good detox! Wanna start things off right!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So I just got t25 focus and I have heard such amazing things about it that I really want to
    Put my all into it. I decided before I begin this I would like to do some sort of detox. I just
    Thought it would be a good start, and also to move the scale a little. I've been stagnant at
    131.4 with very little fluctuation. My goal weight is between 123-128. I've gotten to 128 but
    Could never maintain it there but I'm not gonna say its out of trash because I remember when
    I was bobbing between 143 and 139 and thought I would never break out of the 140s completely.
    But I did it, and once I broke free from the chains of the 140s, the 130s fell off like magic... Till now,
    131.4 is the solid number that haunts me and has since about march. I have managed to get it down
    To 129 but not steady. I know t25 has a very good chance of putting some pounds on the scale from
    Muscle gain, but I'm ok with that. It's really just about the way I feel. If I only lost 2 pounds but felt
    The difference in my cloths and the way I looked, then that stupid number on the scale wouldn't matter.
    So anyways just looking for some input on a good detox! Wanna start things off right!

If you want to start things off right, disregard the idea of detoxing.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Fair warning, people here hate, hate, hate detox and will come into this thread and atack, attack, attack. In all fairness, it's not that some of them don't have good points, it's the way they make their points that can be offensive.

That said, if you decide to do a 'detox', a very mild form one time is more than enough. If it makes you feel good, go for it. But 1-2 days max are all that are 'necessary'. (note, I realize it's technically not necessary at all).

Anyways, this is about the most I've done. I still do this about 1-2 times a year, but only for a day, not 2 days.

Good luck and here it is:

From Mirelle (French Women don't get Fat author)
    Magical Leek Soup Kick-Off Weekend
    Recipe and Instructions For Your First Two Days

Dr. Miracle, the family physician who helped me wake up and recover from my weight gain, was something of a gourmand. He gave me a number of recipes, but none more important than the one he gave me for the first, and only, “tough” weekend. On reflection, it wasn’t so tough at all, because of his “magical leek soup,” a trick used by many of the local women for generations. He had prescribed it to both my mother and grandmother at one point or another.

Leeks are a mild diuretic, and 48 hours or so of leek soup would provide immediate results to jump-start the recasting. For me, it was the start of a lifelong commitment to wellness as well as the beginning of my appreciation, my love, of leeks, about which there is much more to say. It is a trick I still use from time to time; do try it the first weekend.

The printed recipe follows. For a visual step-by-step watch the slideshow.

Recipe for Magical Leek Soup
    Serves one for the weekend

2 lbs. leeks
    Water to cover in a large pot

1. Clean leeks and rinse well to get rid of sand and soil. Cut end of green parts leaving all the white parts plus a suggestion of green. (Reserve the extra greens for soup stock.)
    2. Put leeks in large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil and simmer with no lid for 20-30 minutes. Pour off the liquid and reserve. Place the leeks in a bowl.

Instructions:
    The juice is to be drunk (reheated or room temperature to taste) every 2-3 hours, a cup at a time.
    For meals or whenever hungry, have some of the leeks themselves, ½ cup at a time. Drizzle with a few drops of extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Season sparingly with salt and pepper. Add chopped parsley if you wish.
    This will be your nourishment for both days, until Sunday dinner, when you can have a small piece of meat or fish (4 - 6oz.–don’t lose that scale yet!), with two vegetables, steamed with a bit of butter or oil, and a piece of fruit.

Alternative:
    Pity those who don’t love the sweet taste and delicate texture of leeks. Eventually, you probably will. But if it’s not to your liking, follow the example of my cousin in Aix-en-Provence. After the birth of two sons she needed to shed a few pounds, but didn’t love leeks. A neighbor suggested a variation of “magical leek soup” with the “trick” of hiding the leek among other flavorful and healthful ingredients. You too may prefer the Provençal version, known as soupe mimosa.

Mimosa Soup Recipe
    1 head of lettuce
    ½ lb. carrots
    ½ lb. celeriac
    ½ lb. turnips
    ½ lb. cauliflower
    1 lb. leeks
    2 hard boiled eggs chopped
    ½ cup chopped parsley
    Water to cover in a large pot

1. Clean and chop all ingredients in rough pieces and, except for the cauliflower and parsley, put them a pot. Cover with water, bring to boil and simmer unlidded for 40 minutes. Add the cauliflower and cook for another 15 minutes.

2. Pass all the contents through a food mill.

3. Serve in a bowl and add more parsley and pieces of chopped boiled eggs.

Instructions:
    Eat a cup every three hours (room temperature or reheated) or so all day Saturday and Sunday until the same Sunday dinner of fish or meat, 2 steamed vegetables with a dash of butter or olive oil and 1 piece of fruit. Somewhat less liquidy and magical than the leek soup it nevertheless is an effective and tasty alternative.

Both versions are so good, and an adventure for most palates, that you will have a very hard time seeing them as prison rations. Especially if these tastes are new to you, jot your impressions of flavor and fragrance in your journal. In time, this exercise will intensify your pleasures, and you may want to keep a regular diary of your experiences gastronomiques, including some wine notes (just as serious oenologues do).

Source: http://frenchwomendontgetfat.com/content/magical-leek-soup-kick-weekend
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

this^
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Here. I don't always like webmd, but found this to be pretty fair and unbiased and also liked their 'healthier alternative'.

Body Detox Diets Myths - Are They Necessary or Safe?

The Truth About Detox Diets

Touted as a way to remove harmful toxins in the body and promote weight loss, detox diets are hotter than ever. Hollywood stars do it days before gracing the red carpet, Dr. Oz has his own formula, spa retreats feature them, and many diet books are based on detox beliefs.

But despite the popularity of detox diets, nutrition experts say they are neither necessary nor scientifically proven to work.

Frank Sacks, MD, a leading epidemiologist at the Harvard School of Public Health, says, "There is no basis in human biology that indicates we need fasting or any other detox formula to detoxify the body because we have our own internal organs and immune system that take care of excreting toxins."

What Is a Detox Diet?

Detox (short for detoxification) diets are extreme weight loss diet plans that claim to flush toxic chemicals from your body. Detoxing is based on the concept that your body needs help getting rid of unwanted toxins from contaminants in processed foods and the environment. In theory, once free of toxins, your body functions better and your metabolism soars so you can shed those extra pounds.

There are a variety of different detox diets. Most follow a pattern of very low calorie fasting with the addition of small amounts of fruits, vegetables, water, and assorted supplements. Some diets recommend herbs, pills, powders, enemas, and other forms of intestinal and colon cleansing. Methods vary and frequently include products that are only available from the author’s web site.

The underlying principle of detox diets and the selling of questionable products raises a red flag, says Washington University nutrition director, Connie Diekman, RD. "Detox diets prey on the vulnerability of dieters with fear tactics while gaining financially by selling products that are not necessary and potentially dangerous," she says.

Do Detox Diets Work?

Yes and no.

Beyonce made the maple syrup, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper Master Cleanse formula (also known as the Lemonade Diet) famous when she dropped 20 pounds quickly for her role in Dreamgirls.  But she regained the weight soon after and, in interviews, warned dieters away from the regimen.

Weight loss occurs on most of these plans because they are so low in calories, says Diekman, past president of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. "These fad diet detox plans are nothing more than a quick fix and not recommended for weight loss by registered dietitians," she says.

When you dramatically reduce your calorie intake, you will lose weight. But doing so can also cause all kinds of health problems, including muscle loss. And when you start fasting, your body goes into conservation mode, burning calories more slowly.

Keep in mind that the initial weight lost on a fast is primarily fluid or "water weight" not fat. And when you go back to eating, any lost weight usually gets a return ticket. Not only do most people regain the lost weight from a fast, they tend to add a few extra pounds because a slower metabolism makes it easier to gain.

"Dieters end up in a worse place than where they started, and the weight that is regained is likely to be all fat," Sacks, a cardiologist and researcher at Harvard Medical School, says. "Lost muscle has to be added back at the gym."

There is little scientific evidence that detoxification is necessary or effective for good health or weight loss. Sacks says, "Your body is designed to remove toxins efficiently with organs such as the kidneys, liver, and colon. You don’t need detox diets, pills, or potions to help your body do its job."

Experts agree there is no credible science to support claims that detox diets work or that there's any need for detoxification, lymphatic draining, and frequent bowel cleansing. There are no studies available to document the benefits. Instead, most claims are based on testimonials.

Detox Dangers

Some detox plans sound like a very scientific approach to cleansing your body of harmful substances.

Unfortunately, most detox diets lack the fundamentals that dietitians, doctors, and health authorities know are essential for weight loss and good health. The risks outweigh any benefits, making traditional detox diets both ineffective and potentially dangerous. Detox diets are based on unrealistic fears and dieters' lack of understanding of how the body works.

Most people don’t feel good on low-calorie, nutrient-poor diets. Potential side effects include low energy, low blood sugar, muscle aches, fatigue, feeling dizzy or lightheaded, and nausea. Prolonged fasting can lead to more serious health problems. Colon cleanses are not recommended because they can alter your body’s electrolyte and fluid balance.

Whether or not a detox diet is safe depends on the plan and how long you stay on it. Fasts lasting a day or two are unlikely to be harmful for most healthy adults. But high-risk people -- the elderly, anyone with a chronic disease, pregnant women, and children -- are advised against any type of fasting.

Healthier Way

You can detox in a healthy way, says Christine Gerbstadt, MD, RD, author of Doctor’s Detox Diet. "Extremes like colonics, starvation, and prolonged juice cleanses are not recommended. But if you view detox diets as a way of 'clean eating,' then it means eating natural, less-processed foods that are closer to the earth without artificial ingredients," she says.

Gerbstadt’s two-week plan encourages lots of water, whole fruits, vegetables, fiber, lean protein, low-fat dairy, and whole grains. It allows 1,500 to 1,600 calories per day to help shed up to 3 pounds a week. "The plan is not restrictive, satisfies hunger, can be followed long-term, and focuses on getting more fluids and fiber and [limiting] alcohol," Gerbstadt says.

Her list of the top natural detox foods includes: green leafy vegetables, lemons, watercress, green tea, broccoli sprouts, sesame seeds, cabbage, psyllium (powdered fiber), and fruits. "Beyond weight loss, minimally processed foods are healthy and nutrient-rich and contain fewer chemicals," Gerbstadt says. "The fiber and fluids speed up transit time to relieve gastrointestinal issues like constipation."

So instead of a detox fast, opt for a healthy diet plan that you can stick with long-term. Healthy diets provide at least 1,200 to 1,500 calories per day and include a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, lean protein, beans, healthy fats, and plenty of fluids -- along with regular physical activity.

Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD, is director of nutrition for WebMD. The opinions and conclusions expressed here are her own.
  • mtylar89
    mtylar89 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks, I didn't realize the word detox would set people off :/ the people that work at my local healthy habits store encourages a cleanse to rid the body of bad toxins... But thanks for the solid information! Just telling me detox is a bad really does nothing for me. Lol
  • mtylar89
    Options
    I wasn't really looking for a detox as a way to lose weight I just thought it may do some good physically. I drink socially and I am not always the best eater, but I'm not terrible by any means. So I was more looking at the health aspect of it, and if I lost weight along with it I thought hey, that wouldn't be so bad either! But I see where your all coming from now. Thanks for the advice! I am greatful for it.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I didn't realize the word detox would set people off :/ the people that work at my local healthy habits store encourages a cleanse to rid the body of bad toxins... But thanks for the solid information! Just telling me detox is a bad really does nothing for me. Lol
    Ask then what toxins exactly. Because they are making that up. There is no such thing.

That's why detox do nothing. Because the premise of them is stupid.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How about telling you that detoxing doesn't even exist as a real thing. It's all make believe and wishful thinking. Does that do something for you?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

LOL, If I owned a health food store, I'd load the shelves with detox and lose weight fast and kick start metabolism stuff too. Then push it on anyone who came in the store. You know, toxins$
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    How about telling you that detoxing doesn't even exist as a real thing. It's all make believe and wishful thinking. Does that do something for you?

That is actually completely inaccurate. There are drug and alcohol centers where people go through detox before entering the rest of the program.

Op asked an honest question and was interested in good factual info that she received. End of story.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are pretty efficient with getting rid of toxins it's kind of a standard feature.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

this
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

That is actually completely inaccurate. There are drug and alcohol centers where people go through detox before entering the rest of the program.

Op asked an honest question and was interested in good factual info that she received. End of story.

Ohhhhh, my bad. I didn't realize the OP was a heroin addict. I apologize for my mistake. And OP, I hope for both you and your family that you get clean and kick your addiction to the white nurse.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options

Please tell me you are not comparing drug detoxes with nonsense, money rapping, detoxes quacks and anyone looking to make a quick buck from the desperation of people wanting to lose wight fast cuz that my dear is laughable.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

Ohhhhh, my bad. I didn't realize the OP was a heroin addict. I apologize for my mistake. And OP, I hope for both you and your family that you get clean and kick your addiction to the white nurse.

That's very kind of you to wish those nice thoughts on her. And per your profile, I hope you find your heart someday. :flowerforyou:
  • Mslmesq
    Options

Please tell me you are not comparing drug detoxes with nonsense, money rapping, detoxes quacks and anyone looking to make a quick buck from the desperation of people wanting to lose wight fast cuz that my dear is laughable.

Yes, that is exactly what I was doing. :noway:
  • mtylar89
    Options
    I really thought mfp was a place for people to share their thoughts and ideas and stories and advice so we can all work on living a healthier lifestyle... I have no problem being told that something I thought about doing is not a good idea and won't do what I have been made to think it will, however the rude remarks are just uncalled for. That kind of help is not the kind in looking for. Healthy criticism is useful, some of these responses are just mean and uncalled for. I guess maybe you should find another site to work from where everyone knows everything, and never has questions or needs good advice. Disappointed right now at the attitudes of people that are supposed to be all working towards the same goals. I don't have room for negativity in my life. So go on with your demeaning replies. I don't really care. Thank you those who were polite and informational. I appreciate that kind of advice.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Edit: oh, I see. Blunt replies offend you. Well disregard this then, wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I have a 'never be too honest before 8am' policy anyway.
  • mtylar89
    Options
    By the way I am a mother and an elementary educator. Not a druggy.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options

Yes, that is exactly what I was doing. :noway:

So I misread then when you used a drug detox as a reference? Please quiet down now.